Arkansas

Home Forums Archived Forums Wisconsin DNR Arkansas

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  GrouseTales 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

kbraband
    Participant

Arkansas, a state which banned geocaching in state parks at one time, now has a geocaching policy. They even have their own official geocaches. Thanks to Jeff of Hotdogs_Off_Trail for calling this to our attention. View a web page about this here: http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/things/geocache/

Cheesehead Dave
    Participant

I think I like their policy. It seems to cover all the bases. I find it interesting, though, that you need a permit for a virtual cache. I wonder how they would plan on enforcing that?

Here’s a question for Brian: If a cache is placed in an Arkansas state park, does the Arkansas approver require the hider to furnish the permit number/copy of the permit prior to the cache being approved? If so, that should save a lot of work in determining if the cache is hidden appropriately or not.

I’m assuming we still haven’t gotten a reply back from our DNR yet?

GrouseTales
    Participant

That’s a good question Dave. I’ll ask the Arkansas approver how they are handling the situation and report back.

Also, I sent another email out last week asking about the DNR’s policy. I’m now trying to get in touch with the person who lick the stamp to see if/when it will get mailed out.

“There are two kinds of hunting: ordinary hunting and grouse hunting.”
    -Aldo Leopold, A sand county Almanac

Brian
    WGA Vice President
    Grousetales@wi-geocaching.com

GrouseTales
    Participant

Here are some of the ways these permits are being handled:

quote:

[*]The policy for Illinois states that certain things HAVE to be on the cache page. If I don’t see those notifications, I assume that permission hasn’t been granted.

[*]For Arkansas and Tennessee the cache owner must supply me with the permit number and a contact name, I then either call them or verify by email, but usually just call and thank them for letting us play in their park. This is where the regional approver comes in very handy.

Then I post to the cache page that it has been approved by the park system

[*]I spoke with the director that drafted the state of Mo. policy. She loves geocaching and said that anything i want to do is OK with them. She is thinking of having the parks place a number on the permit so I can use that to track if I care to. If I want to require that the cacher send me a scan of the permit or just ask them if they have permission is OK too. Each park has a person watching the park for caches. If anything slips thru the cache owner will probably get a note from the park. Anything that works for me will work for them. I think I may ask for the permit number if there is one. We are very luck here that everybody really likes caching and wants the cachers in their parks.

[*]I don’t insist on seeing a permit number for caches hidden in Pennsylvania State Parks and State Forests administered by DCNR. And Ohio doesn’t have a permit form, just a policy to see the park manager. Usually, my note on the cache page does the trick. I say to “E-mail me with the details about your permit” and the hider will do one of the following things:
    1. Disappear
    2. Write back and say they met with Ranger Bob Smith, who approved their cache.
    3. Write back and say sorry, they will call the office right away to get a permit.
    4. Write back about how I’m ruining geocaching by imposing all these rules, and then disappear.

I also require that the cache page state the fact that permission has been obtained. In Pennsylvania, we use a recognizable graphic that says “placed with permission” in a circle around the DCNR logo.

So far, I haven’t seen anyone with the nerve to state that permission had been obtained when, in fact, it had not been obtained. And I have heard zero complaints from the Pennsylvania DCNR since the admins started questioning hiders about their permit status

[*]Florida has 2 agencies that require permission for geocaching. In both cases, I will take the word of the hider and I will put a statement in the cache description that the agency approves of the location. Both of these agencies monitor new cache approvals and have informed me when one has slipped through the cracks. But they have never been rude or demanded that the caches be archived and removed, unless the cache location would not have been approved in the first place.

I personally think the cache hider should include the permit number (if they are numbered), or the name of the person, agency, and phone number of who approved the cache location.

“There are two kinds of hunting: ordinary hunting and grouse hunting.”
    -Aldo Leopold, A sand county Almanac

Brian
    WGA Vice President
    Grousetales@wi-geocaching.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Wisconsin DNR’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Badger State Geocaching