Colorado 400c and loading gc’s – question

Home Forums Geocaching in Wisconsin Tech Talk Colorado 400c and loading gc’s – question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  peach107 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

peach107

Just picked up a new colorado 400c gps. I am able to load 1 geocache at a time, either by direct download from gc.com, or by downloading to my computer a .gpx, .gdb or .loc file from gc.com., and then installing. doing this, one at a time, i get to see the whole description page. any time i try to download more than 1 cache at a time, either direct install or as a .gpx/.gdb/.loc and then try to load these to the 400c, they don’t show up as geocaches, but instead show up in my waypoint manager only. from here it won’t let me go to the description page. since my palm took a dive it would sure be nice to have the description page show up for all of the gc’s. tis one of the reasons i bought this colorado (off of ebay). i must be doing something wrong and any help would be appreciated.

Vegas Gamblers
    Participant

I don’t know how to really answer this correctly, but check out this link. It will answer alot of questions that you may have.

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/?responseToken=360a1d5a7e71482aaa07e68d1722a2c1

zuma
    Participant

There is a wiki on both the Oregon and the Colorado on-line at the Garmin site, so I would go there for operating info.

Anyway, on both the Oregon and Colorado, there are 3 ways to get the geocaches into the device:

1. The one you are currently using, one at time. I use this from time to time if I am going to just get one or two caches, such as in a FTF type situation. It is a useful feature and is quite quick but not really usable for a long caching trip.

2. The gpx file method that is in the wikii, and which I havent tried yet, and probably wont, because I prefer method 3. The disadvantage of this method is that you can not sort or thin out caches in the PQ that you do not intend to attempt.

3. Download the Colorado/Oregon macro onto GSAK. To do so, you will first have to update GSAK, but the instructions are right in the upload info on how to update GSAK for free. In this way, you can still use GSAK to sort the caches that you intend to do. The macro works quite quickly, and it is an easy and fast way to upload multiple caches into the Colorado or Oregon. So my advice is to get the GSAK macro for the Oregon. It works great.

z

Lostby7
    Participant

Not sure if Colorado has the same Windows like file folders which you move things in or out of but with the Oregon I just drop the opened PQ right into the GPX folder…done. No need for GSAK (which I don’t use).

gotta run
    Participant

@Lostby7 wrote:

Not sure if Colorado has the same Windows like file folders which you move things in or out of but with the Oregon I just drop the opened PQ right into the GPX folder…done. No need for GSAK (which I don’t use).

Yes, if the Colorado works like the Oregon regarding GPX files, which I understand that it does, there is no need for GSAK, although GSAK does give you more capabilities. When you plug in the Colorado, does your PC recognize it as a drive, and within that drive is there a folder for “GPX”?

(i.e.: X:/garmin/GPX where X is the drive letter it assigns)

Just drop your GPX file there from your PQ.

By the same token, there is no need for a macro on GSAK if you use GSAK. Just do whatever sorting/manipulating you need to do, then choose File->Export->GPX or LOC file and choose GPX, saving the file to the GPX folder as above.

peach107

I have it all working now. Just had to take a different route to loading more than 1 cache at a time. The old garmin gpsmap 60 did it directly. now i have to copy the file of multiple caches into the folder GPX. Easy enough. just an extra step that i didn’t have to do before. Thanks to all. :D

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Badger State Geocaching