The Wisconsin Geocaching Association

  Login or Register

Website Navigation

62.png Home

49.png Information Center
26.png WGA Newsletters
24.png Reviewer's Words
53.png Presentation Resources
39.png Geocaching Files
27.png Bookmarks
56.png Location Rules and Regs
49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors
 
Contact Us

 
Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

 
Follow Us

Twitter Button

 
Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
 
Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax
 
COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books


More Info >>>

 
 
Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums
 

 

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
gotta run
WGA Member



Joined: 2007-11-26
Posts: 3306

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It would be relatively rare that a cache would be both on the LCG list as a "find it" opportunity AND as a rescue list so it's not a big deal, and double dipping is allowed.

See: GCVC6N

The cache was found, earned big "found it" points for length of time since last being found, then earned 10 more points for the rescue mission. Though it's unclear how that disabled cache ended up on the September list anyway, it's a relatively rare situation and not a big deal.
 
View user's profile Send private message
CodeJunkie
WGA Member



Joined: 2009-07-21
Posts: 8237
Location: Berlin, WI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

sandlanders wrote:
You mean, like can you claim that you found it first (since it was still there and findable) and get LCG points for that, and then did the rescue mission to remove the "geotrash"?


Basically yes, but maybe yesterday was a very rare case. I did a rescue for one I've never done before. Here's my thoughts - A rescue is a separate task completely. Kind of like extra points for replacing with owner's permission. In this case the mission is "approved" (i.e. permission). Here's the alter scenario - There's a lonely with a note saying "missing" and I've never done it before. I coordinate with the owner to confirm via phone (or other explicit instructions on hide location) before replacing. I make my way to GZ, verify the missing and replace. When I log this lonely I get to double dip (First time for me, plus replacement points).

My hunch is that most rescues are being done by people that have visited prior because they know the cache. In my case I made the trip because I was curious about someone logging a "found" on GC (not on LCG) after it being disabled. Netting an ammo can full of reusable goodies definately made it worthwhile, plus the junk is cleaned up.

Please remember I'm not breaking rules 11a / 11e, but just asking for the sake of asking.
 
View user's profile Send private message
gotta run
WGA Member



Joined: 2007-11-26
Posts: 3306

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

CodeJunkie wrote:
Here's my thoughts - A rescue is a separate task completely. Kind of like extra points for replacing with owner's permission.


The analogy isn't bad, however remember the point is that in most cases rescue list caches are not on the LCG list to begin with as a find opportunity because they are not active. I'm guessing if you troll through the active rescue mission lists none are. So really the purpose of the rescue in the context of the game is a single task. And, 10 points is a pretty good average for what a "found it" would score in the LCG anyway.

CodeJunkie wrote:

My hunch is that most rescues are being done by people that have visited prior because they know the cache.


I don't think that's true. At least in our case, nearly all the rescue missions we've done have been on caches we hadn't found before. And we were doing rescue missions regularly before the LCG came along--we like the cleanup aspect of it, not to mention the occasional reusable cache container.
 
View user's profile Send private message
uws22
WGA Member



Joined: 2007-07-20
Posts: 527
Location: Madison, WI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

my situation with GCV6N was quite rare. it took searching with a previous finder to locate one of the stages, which was still intact, and from there was able to make the final on my own. i left everything in place hoping to adopt it, and actually replaced WP1 on another trip. when i found out i couldn't adopt it, and it was subsequently archived, i did the cache rescue only because i wanted to recover my container, and grabbed the others while i was there.

so all total i made 3 trips just in that week, plus two prior attempts a few months ago.
 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CodeJunkie
WGA Member



Joined: 2009-07-21
Posts: 8237
Location: Berlin, WI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe a clarification about what the "official list" is also just in case the lists on the "main page" don't match the dropdown list on the "submit report" page.
 
View user's profile Send private message
gotta run
WGA Member



Joined: 2007-11-26
Posts: 3306

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

CodeJunkie wrote:
Maybe a clarification about what the "official list" is also just in case the lists on the "main page" don't match the dropdown list on the "submit report" page.


I don't see this as a problem. The "official" list is the bookmark list itself and I know it takes a lot of (volunteer) time and (manual) effort to put it together and there's bound to be an occasional hiccup betweeen the bookmark list and the dropdown scorecard. If the list doesn't include a cache for some reason the site admin will quickly add it if you email him (Jeremy). If there's something on the dropdown that isn't on the bookmark list you can drop an email to deejay.
 
View user's profile Send private message
CodeJunkie
WGA Member



Joined: 2009-07-21
Posts: 8237
Location: Berlin, WI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

gotta run wrote:
CodeJunkie wrote:
Maybe a clarification about what the "official list" is also just in case the lists on the "main page" don't match the dropdown list on the "submit report" page.


I don't see this as a problem. The "official" list is the bookmark list itself and I know it takes a lot of (volunteer) time and (manual) effort to put it together and there's bound to be an occasional hiccup betweeen the bookmark list and the dropdown scorecard. If the list doesn't include a cache for some reason the site admin will quickly add it if you email him (Jeremy). If there's something on the dropdown that isn't on the bookmark list you can drop an email to deejay.

I did send a PM to deejay regarding an irregularity. Turns out a bunch of caches I "found" back in the July/August list are still in the dropdown list, but not on the bookmark list. I wasn't attempting to be the audit police, but happened to check to see what others were chasing and noticed a bunch that weren't on the list that were claimed.
 
View user's profile Send private message
gotta run
WGA Member



Joined: 2007-11-26
Posts: 3306

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

CodeJunkie wrote:

I did send a PM to deejay regarding an irregularity. Turns out a bunch of caches I "found" back in the July/August list are still in the dropdown list, but not on the bookmark list. I wasn't attempting to be the audit police, but happened to check to see what others were chasing and noticed a bunch that weren't on the list that were claimed.


I never really look into what other people are doing so I hadn't noticed this. The exception was the cache that was mentioned by me above because it was a cache rescue that I came across.
 
View user's profile Send private message
-cheeto-
WGA Member



Joined: 2007-06-12
Posts: 4538
Location: Appleton, WI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

gotta run wrote:
CodeJunkie wrote:
Maybe a clarification about what the "official list" is also just in case the lists on the "main page" don't match the dropdown list on the "submit report" page.


I don't see this as a problem. The "official" list is the bookmark list itself and I know it takes a lot of (volunteer) time and (manual) effort to put it together and there's bound to be an occasional hiccup betweeen the bookmark list and the dropdown scorecard. If the list doesn't include a cache for some reason the site admin will quickly add it if you email him (Jeremy). If there's something on the dropdown that isn't on the bookmark list you can drop an email to deejay.


I never noticed this before but recently one of my caches was found and logged for points and it wasn't "lonely" i.e. on the bookmark list. It wasn't a cache rescue either.

Honestly, not a big deal... Very Happy

It's probably a bit a work to clean up that drop-down each period. And likely very easy to miss something.
 
View user's profile Send private message
Team Deejay
WGA Member



Joined: 2005-10-02
Posts: 2398
Location: Rochester, WI, US

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For some reason, the last period's list did not delete properly from the website. It is fixed now. I'm not deleting the few reports on these caches, as I believe they were sought in good faith. Sorry for the mixup.
 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
marc_54140
WGA Member



Joined: 2004-01-28
Posts: 2631
Location: Little Chute

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

I notice there are still a number of rather old Rescues out there.

So, what about a modification to the points they earn?

10 points (current value) plus 1 point for each month it's been on the list (change)?
 
View user's profile Send private message
gotta run
WGA Member



Joined: 2007-11-26
Posts: 3306

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking the same multiplier could be used for rescues as is used for regular lonelies. Not rescued after a year, x2. After 2 years, x3.

It's not for lack of interest by LCG players, but rather by distance. And of course lack of interest (or awareness) by the local caching communities in those areas.
 
View user's profile Send private message
marc_54140
WGA Member



Joined: 2004-01-28
Posts: 2631
Location: Little Chute

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Enough the numbers go high enough, someone will eventually go look!

WWDD?
 
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:       
Post new topic   Reply to topic

View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2008 phpBB Group
:: Theme & Graphics by Daz :: Ported for PHP-Nuke by nukemods.com ::
All times are GMT - 6 Hours
 
Forums ©
 
Legal Notice | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Parental Consent Form | contact | Comments ]

All content © 2013 Wisconsin Geocaching Association, except comments and forum entries which are property of their posters.

The Groundspeak Geocaching Logo is a registered trademark of Groundspeak, Inc. Used with permission.
 


Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the WGA Terms of Use


Distributed by Raven PHP Scripts
New code written and maintained by the RavenNuke™ TEAM


(Original PHP-Nuke Code Copyright © 2004 by Francisco Burzi)
Page Generation: 0.16 Seconds

:: fisubice phpbb2 style by Daz :: PHP-Nuke theme by www.nukemods.com ::
:: fisubice Theme Recoded To 100% W3C CSS & HTML 4.01 Transitional & XHTML 1.0 Transitional Compliance by RavenNuke™ TEAM ::

:: W3C CSS Compliance Validation :: W3C HTML 4.01 Transitional Compliance Validation :: W3C XHTML 1.0 Transitional Compliance Validation ::