49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's nothing better than finding a cache that hasn't been found in a year or more...wow! It's still there!

Well I guess there are a few things better but this is a family game... Embarassed

Cachelovskys
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If I had the time, I would work much harder in the lonely cache game. I find finding something that only few can find, one of the best parts of this game. That's why I love a challenging puzzle...oops (should have kept my mouth shut)

Bassanio
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've given thought to joining in on the LCG, but it's not really my thing. Mainly, I don't care about the points and the process of submitting the cache for those points. I do enjoy finding lonely caches, so I do look at the list and see if I can't knock one or two off but I also respect that others do participate in the LCG and don't mind giving them ample time to find it before I do. Of course, sometimes I'm just greedy and go out and find it right away Twisted Evil

Bruce

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The cool thing is that it can be found by multiple people, so this isn't a race like FTF (like any of us ever try for these).

-cheeto-
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CodeJunkie wrote:
The cool thing is that it can be found by multiple people, so this isn't a race like FTF (like any of us ever try for these).

This and the prior posting point out the common misconception that you have to be the first (or only) finder of the lonely caches to earn the points.

The only benefit to being the first points-wise is if it hasn't been found in over a year or 2 years, etc. However, everyone who finds a lonely cache during a certain 2 month period that the cache is on the bookmark list can submit the cache for the points.

There is the rewarding feeling of being the first to find that lonely cache in awhile but from a points/game perspective it's sorta irrelevant being first.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm also enjoying alot of the puzzles, which I work on in my spare time. I enjoy puzzles and this blend of puzzles / caching is a great mix. I've solved many puzzles already that I didn't chase the cache as well because of time / distance issues. Put on the "to find" pile and save for later, but have the satisfaction of "solving" them.

sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bassanio wrote:
Mainly, I don't care about the points and the process of submitting the cache for those points.

That's the easy part; it's the finding that's hard sometimes. The submitting part is set up so that it's painless and hassle-free. Takes less time than posting in the forums. "Try it; you'll like it!"

Bassanio wrote:
I do enjoy finding lonely caches, so I do look at the list and see if I can't knock one or two off

That's how we got started. It's a personal challenge, unless you really are going for the competitive part of the game. And if you can verify that the cache is there and in good shape, that's good. And if you can say that it's not there or that it's in really bad shape, that's good, too, because it can get a cache either cleaned up or put out of its misery, which is good for the caching community.

So if you've been finding lonelies all along, go ahead and submit your new finds from now on. And get ready for a new list the first of November. Twisted Evil

Bassanio
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
This and the prior posting point out the common misconception that you have to be the first (or only) finder of the lonely caches to earn the points.

This is what tripped me up. I WAS under the misconception that once a LCG cache was found by any WGA member, it was out of play. So, my thought process was that I could find the cache but then have to sift through to see if any member had logged it. That seemed like more trouble than it was worth and chances were I wasn't going to be the first, so I didn't invest more time into it. I just liked the idea of finding a cache that had sat unfound for months and months.

The points system and scoreboard still doesn't interest me much but thanks to this thread, I see a side of the game I hadn't before and that is the giving back to the community aspect. Thanks to a compiled list, there are caches that are going to get visited by a good handful of people who otherwise might not have them on their radar. I know for me, I wouldn't be running a pocket query for most of these areas unless I was visiting there. I don't want any of my caches on a LCG list because that means noone is finding them. I didn't place them with that in mind. Neither did the owners of the caches that DO show up on the list. Getting a little more traffic funneled to your cache after it's been dormant for awhile is a good give-back.

Ack, I didn't mean to get long-winded when all I wanted to say was thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Bruce

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bassanio wrote:
I see a side of the game I hadn't before and that is the giving back to the community aspect. Thanks to a compiled list, there are caches that are going to get visited by a good handful of people who otherwise might not have them on their radar.

Yep.

And it also helps "problem" caches get elevated for action, because it seems that DNFs on caches that have had a string of no-finds tend to get reviewer action when said reviewer processes the DNF report for the LCG. wink

Sagasu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Where have all the players gone? Yikes, they were lurking there all the time from the feel of the cleat marks on my back here at mid-month. And it wasn't even a runningadventure this time..... yet. Shocked Now the only thing I need to figure out is how many other caches you can report twice besides (GC15F6F). wink

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sagasu wrote:
Where have all the players gone? Yikes, they were lurking there all the time from the feel of the cleat marks on my back here at mid-month. And it wasn't even a runningadventure this time..... yet. Shocked Now the only thing I need to figure out is how many other caches you can report twice besides (GC15F6F). wink

And apparently there are a bunch of "non"-lonlies on the list as well. I better get cracking to confirm some of these as long as they're on the list. Very Very Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sagasu wrote:

With all this time on your hands to audit the scorecards for irregularities, you could be out finding some lonely caches! A quick check of the map shows several good opportunities to the north of you within an hour's drive to regain the lead... Very Happy

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

gotta run wrote:
Sagasu wrote:

With all this time on your hands to audit the scorecards for irregularities, you could be out finding some lonely caches! A quick check of the map shows several good opportunities to the north of you within an hour's drive to regain the lead... Very Happy

To clarify...my comment was intended in a spirit that mirrored the comment I was quoting...perhaps I should have chosen the winky emoticon instead, so here's a few: wink wink wink

Let me go on the record of saying that I don't care about what anyone does, does not do, finds, does not find, revisits, does not revisit, rescues, does not rescue, replaces, does not replace, DNFs, or does not DNF in this game. I don't care if someone files a report 100 times or 1,000. I don't care if someone "breaks" every "rule" in this game. I don't care 1,000 people play this game. I don't care if I'm the only one playing this game. I don't care if I "win." I don't care if I "lose." I simply, truthfully, frankly, honestly, genuinely, don't care.

I have other things to care about, but this is not one of them.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

gotta run wrote:

I apologize for offending anyone. Let me go on the record of saying that I don't give a crap about what anyone does, does not do, finds, does not find, revisits, does not revisit, rescues, does not rescue, replaces, does not replace, DNFs, or does not DNF in this game. I don't care if someone files a report 100 times or 1,000. I don't care if someone "breaks" every "rule" in this game. I don't care 1,000 people play this game. I don't care if I'm the only one playing this game. I don't care if I "win." I don't care if I "lose." I simply, truthfully, frankly, honestly, genuinely, don't care.

I have other things to care about, but this is not one of them.

This is hilarious. I actually went back and read it semi-aloud here in my cube. The mental picture is probably worth a $1M bucks.

I also have other priorities and hopefully my comments are taken as tongue in cheek as well. I also have morals that wouldn't let me confirm these just to get some easy points. The engineer in me brings about some curiousity and a desire for "exactness" and this coupled with being a programmer? Well - You get the picture..... wink wink wink (winkies just to be sure it's not taken the wrong way)

JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So. let me see if I heard you right, gotta run...

You don't care? Rolling Eyes wink (only one winkie from us).

View next topic
View previous topic