49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Cathunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking that while some folks rightly like the fact that WGA membership is free, we are also missing out on a way to generate funds and market the association.

Perhaps we should have a "Premium Membership" available? For a fee, a "welcome package"- I.E- letter from the prez, advice from the approvers, bumper sticker, geo-coin, or other incentive(s), like a private "premium member forum" on the website could be made available.

I'd be interesting in hearing other members opinions on this, followed, by the official stance of the BOD on such an idea.

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of an optional Premium membership. As I benchmarked other caching sites, none seem to charge for a membership, but then they don't offer a package like you have suggested either. Myself, I love having items related to my hobby, such as pins, patches, bumper stickers, t-shirts, sweatshirts etc.

A slight twist on the Premium membership might be to offer serveral levels. The cacher can then choose the "Package/Level" he or she would like, depending on the items offered. It doesn't have to be numerous levels, but maybe at least 3???

GREAT idea/concept Cathunter!!

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

I say sorry up front….

Sorry…

But I personally fully disagree. To charge a membership fee for premium members then turn around and spend such monies on letters, bumper sticker, premium member coin, and the a like defeats part of the purpose of the fee unless the fee is going to be very exorbitant. Secondly what else are Premium members going to want for their added contribution? Premier parking and camping spots, designated tables at shelters, special name tags from everyone else.

I could go on but not wanting to turn this into a social order issue or make it have a VERY negative tone. I just think it would lead too much separation in an association where few actually actively participate.

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

How can we make this work, or won't it?

pcfrog sees a problem here that he did not see with groundspeak's premium membership. Do we need to add more to the mix to make it more attractive? What does gc.com offer that makes the difference. Some of us are already making sizable contributions to the organization and some have been doing this for quite a while. Others make very small contributions or none at all. And, yet there is no distinction; who does what. Some need no recognition for their contributions, others would like a little return. How can we float the greatest number of boats?

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Test
Computer problem -- working out a bug please ignore this post.
Test

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & the beast:
How can we make this work, or won't it?

pcfrog sees a problem here that he did not see with groundspeak's premium membership. Do we need to add more to the mix to make it more attractive? What does gc.com offer that makes the difference. Some of us are already making sizable contributions to the organization and some have been doing this for quite a while. Others make very small contributions or none at all. And, yet there is no distinction; who does what. Some need no recognition for their contributions, others would like a little return. How can we float the greatest number of boats?

GC.com supplies a service. Pay for membership to GC.com you get added service and features.

Paying for premium membership on GC.com does not define you as being better or worse off than any other cacher. It just for those who like to get the added service.

WGA is a comunity/association what service should premium members get?

From what I read from this is premium would get nothing other than a higher social order while the rest have to ride in the back of the bus. This is my concern a distinct division among members would be created. As FuFu pointed out it could even be broken up into 3 groups: the Rich, the middle class, the poor.

The special WGA geocoins are to be what rewards those who contribute more to WGA than those who don't.

Edited to make my concerns more clear.

[This message has been edited by pcfrog (edited 02-10-2006).]

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by pcfrog:

I say sorry up front….

Sorry…

But I personally fully disagree. To charge a membership fee for premium members then turn around and spend such monies on letters, bumper sticker, premium member coin, and the a like defeats part of the purpose of the fee unless the fee is going to be very exorbitant. Secondly what else are Premium members going to want for their added contribution? Premier parking and camping spots, designated tables at shelters, special name tags from everyone else.

OK.. maybe it's what we are CALLING it. Sometimes it's all the wording or name. I see the dilema PCfrog. That does make a lot of sense. If we offered a Premier membership, then people should receive a "Benefit" NOT an "Object" Or maybe "Benefits & Objects"

Maybe something like {JUST tossing out ideas}:
1. 20% Discounts on WGA products via CafePress. {or whatever % the BOD might think they could do}
2. Work with Army surplus stores around the state, to offer a Discount to WGA Premier members.
3. A Discount when purchasing WI GeoCoins.
4. Maybe the creator of the site can come up with Premier options which can be available on this site, as with GC.com.

Some ideas which provide a Benefit & an Object if they choose!! Don't know if any of these are possible but if we don't ask we won't know...RIGHT??

Heck.. I'll pay extra for Spellcheck option. ROFLMBO Ok ok.. I WON'T go there again!!

{Edited because I DIDN'T use WORD & Spellcheck. BunnyFuFu is lazy.. it's her day off}

[This message has been edited by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu (edited 02-10-2006).]

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:

From what I read from this is premium would get nothing other than a higher social order while the rest have to ride in the back of the bus. This is my concern a distinct division among members would be created. As FuFu pointed out it could even be broken up into 3 groups: the Rich, the middle class, the poor.

Goodness...I didn't think of it that way. I definately would NOT want to split up a group like that. Was just thinking that depending on the items a cacher would want they could get a different level.

Glad we moved on to the "Benefits & Objects" idea instead!! Thanks PCfrog!

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu:

Maybe something like {JUST tossing out ideas}:
1. 20% Discounts on WGA products via CafePress. {or whatever % the BOD might think they could do}
2. Work with Army surplus stores around the state, to offer a Discount to WGA Premier members.
3. A Discount when purchasing WI GeoCoins.
4. Maybe the creator of the site can come up with Premier options which can be available on this site, as with GC.com.

Bingo ----

This would be what membership could offer without creating a division between the members. Image

I personally have to ask one question that seems to keep coming up in various was in different post and this one as well.

How much money does the WGA need?

To me this is very import to realize because it the main point behind it all.

(These are not to be answered here just for thought in reference to the question)
Now I know this is in that “Treasures Report” but how much is the WGA expending and how much does it raise?
What is the general yearly cost to operate?
How much funds are in the treasury?
What projects is/are the WGA involved in that require a yearly fee?

I wonder this because if the WGA has the money and ends are being meet do we really need fees to being with. However if ends are only being meet because a few people are putting in $50-100 dollars at time then a fee might be justified.

I do know the WI geocoin generated funds for the WGA but don’t know how long it will last since I don’t know the consumption rate.

I’m not against a fee for membership I’m against what membership might mean.

Starting a membership fee can be a lot more work and needs to be reviewed if the work is worth the fee. FuFu suggestions noted above are nice but the board members have to realize that would be their work to make and maintain these perks.

The WI geocoin was one way to generate a sum of funds for the WGA and possible can be done again but it must remain in the back of our heads at how long will that way of fund rising last.

I might ponder and think about these things more than I should being just a member but that is my nature.

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:

I might ponder and think about these things more than I should being just a member but that is my nature.

I see it this way PCfrog...an organization is creative because of ALL the people involved WITHIN it. WE, the members, ARE the WGA. Soooooooo ponder away! Image I am of the same nature!!

Maybe we're twins. Hmmm a frog and a bunny... twins..LOL That would be an interesting sight to see! Image

russell_53040
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu:

Maybe we're twins. Hmmm a frog and a bunny... twins..LOL That would be an interesting sight to see! Image

Man that is something I dont want to think about again. Hmmm sure would you like to have bunny with the frog legs. Well how does it taste. Well it taste like chicken. Ok back to the topic at hand. Sorry just had to say something.

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

[This message has been edited by pcfrog (edited 02-10-2006).]

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Love the photos!

quote:
I personally have to ask one question that seems to keep coming up in various was in different post and this one as well.

That is a good question..

First we need to determine how big our organization is going to grow. We are still a very young organization. it wasn't very long ago (Jan 03) when we had our organizational meeting at the Tristing place in Germantown. There were only about a dozen of us there maybe a few more.

Then we need to determine what our future needs are going to be (Web hosting is currently being donated). We haven't attempted a long term budget yet. For the short term, we have been doing well. This has been due largely to the generosity of a handful of people who haven't been tooting their own horns nor complaining about the burden they have been carrying.

The geocoins by the way, was the first real profitable exercise of our organization. Numbers are available by personal correspondence with the treasurer. The treasurer's report should be released to the membership shortly after board approval (Feb 19).

To give you a short answer...
I don't know.

~tb

[This message has been edited by Trudy & the beast (edited 02-10-2006).]

marc_54140
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

For a Preminum Membership fee, I'd be happy with a bumber sticker that says "I support WGA" or something similiar.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm curious; does the financial report break down where the money comes from? I have seen the donation box at the picnic and until the Coin $ came into the spotlight I had never thought $ came from anywhere but from the donation box. I donate to the box whenever I see it as I feel the organization is important even if only to have a forum to get thoughts and ideas addressed with local peers.

As for differing levels of membership, I have to disagree with the notion. If you want to donate, do so. If you want swag, I think the site still supports a way to order it.

I would like to point out that there is no “Donate Here” button on the main page. I’d like to see one. No one is twisting arms, but an unobtrusive Pay Pal button could help raise funds if they are needed to accomplish association goals.

*EDIT for poorly demonstrated writing skills

[This message has been edited by Lostby7 (edited 02-10-2006).]

View next topic
View previous topic