49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

RSplash40 wrote:
AstroD-Team wrote:
One Paddle Short wrote:

Quote:
Sounds interesting and fun. Unfortunately we do not have snowshoes or the like to participate.

It has been my experience that this kind of problem can be solved by Christmas and a credit card. wink

Otherwise, we may have some snowshoes we could lend out too.

The credit card won't support it this year. If we can get three pairs of shoes, we'll join you. Either date works for us. We'll update on our status.

Astro - I think it cost me ~20 bucks to rent a pair last year from Schepard and Schaller in Wausau.

Cool. I think we're gonna check into a few places to see if we can rent some. I'll keep an eye on the date!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Team Black-Cat wrote:
OPS, what did you find out about Yellow Birch Landing?

The topo map I looked at showed an old railroad grade angling NW-SE in that area. Anyone looked into that?

One Paddle Short
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
OPS, what did you find out about Yellow Birch Landing? I'll I can find it that "something" used to be there.

I didn't get around to it until today. The internet is a scary place. When I did a search for historical yellow birch landing the second thing that came up was a link to my post saying I thought it sounded interesting. I've since found it several references to it but it's always just the location- I've found no information on the history.

Quote:
It sounds like a good time. Interested in having another tag along if the date works for me? Last years Trip to the Philippines was a disappointment due to the fact of the impending storm kept me home and didn't rear its head until well after the fact.

Of course, always room for more folks- but it's a long ways from Milwaukee!

Quote:
The credit card won't support it this year. If we can get three pairs of shoes, we'll join you. Either date works for us. We'll update on our status.

We may be able to lend out a pair or two- can let you know as we get closer.

One Paddle Short
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to go for Sunday, December 27th. If there are a lot of folks that would prefer a different date speak up but it seems this date works for everyone that has mentioned anything about coming. And, it also gives us a built-in snow date a week later on January 3rd if the 27th ends up being 20 below or the middle of a snow storm. It would be good to get started as early as possible. I suspect it will take 2 1/2 to 3 hours to complete.

Personally I'd like to go in from Atkins road because that's where I failed from last time. That kind of thing inspires me to go back and succeed. I also have been in from that side and know how to make it to the swamp via a nice hike through the woods. I can't speak as to how hard or easy the last 1/2 mile will be- but I can get us to that 1/2 mile with an easy hike (for winter on snowshoes).

Next we'll have to pick a time to get started that works for everyone interested in going along. So, what sounds good? 9 Am, 10 AM? Later?

Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

With the size of the group planning this, one would think the trail would be packed down enough for someone to go sans snowshoes...

RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Team Black-Cat wrote:
With the size of the group planning this, one would think the trail would be packed down enough for someone to go sans snowshoes...

Yeah, but lets wait until the 29th at least..that way they'll have made it out and it the trail will have hardened to nice walking path :>

RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think previous statments about going part way down a road that was a snowmobile trail are correct, it looks like the snowmobile trail goes right to the end of yellow birch (spot A in 2_stands post) and starts north:

http://www.forestcountywi.com/snow/2009%20Trails.pdf

The old railroad bed looks to be just abandoned and now growing over, not even a rails-to-trails on it though it might be consider a walking path for hunters?

One Paddle Short
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

What's the size of the group? There's quite a few folks on the thread but only a couple have said they might hike along? wink

Truth is that last year while the folks in front were busting a trail through some pretty deep snow the end of the line had a pretty nice highway. There may not even be much snow to begin with- I'll bet you could walk it easy once the snowshoe folks packed it down.

RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'm up for the planning and strategizing, but partially based on the date and mostly on the physical challenge I'm pretty sure i'm out.

Heading North
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting thread. We hiked (well, snowshoed) out to this one last February. It was a day well spent. I highly recommend it. We, too, parked on Atkins Road by the service gate. I just added a picture of the gate to our log it you want to see what it looks like. I think what helped us get to the cache in a pretty straight line was a good old compass. We just have the little Etrex Legend. We like it, but sometimes in thick trees it doesn't keep up with us. If we know which cardinal direction we should be heading in, we just check the compass. (Not that anyone needs our advice.)
You'll have a great time. Winter is probably the best time to do this one. I'll take snow over mosquitoes ANYTIME!
Happy trails.

AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Found out at Scouts last night, that Jacob is parking cars for the Packer game on the 27th. So we won't be able to tag along on that date. Bummer!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The 29th would work the best for me. After that, I'm not sure. I personally would probably pass on the later date due to having work the next day. At this time of year, I hate to call things close in case some thing happens. I will already be looking at an 8 hour round trip drive.

Looking at the ariel map yesterday, I thought perhaps there could be an extinct railroad grade, or perhaps cleared boundary line of the national forest running se to nw.

On second thought, I don't think that's an old RR grade near Yellow Birch road. That may have been and old forest road or logging road that runs se-nw., if not a boundary line. I've been shooting up Hwy 45 for nearly 40 years and the only RR lines that I know of run N-S just west of 45, and E-W about a mile south of the cache. I cannot recall any others in that area. I don't think either one is any longer in use.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You all realize that once you find this cache, you'll be at least 1/10th of the way to a free dinner on us? LOL

RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:
You all realize that once you find this cache, you'll be at least 1/10th of the way to a free dinner on us? LOL

Oh sure...now you throw this out... it better be more than mcd's :>

FF: I think that is a old RR grade, one of the maps i saw looked like it was designated as such. I know, TBC and I can take a drive up there, both our gps' wanted to send us down a old rr bed the last time we were out, we'll know for sure.

furfool
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One Paddle Short wrote:

The place to avoid is that arrowhead shaped swamp pointing southwest. It was a very pretty and unique area but I'm not going back.

It looks like a parking area directly east of the cache, that turns west off of Atkins. I'm guessing this would be a bad idea, judging by OPS' post.

View next topic
View previous topic