49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Scaffdogs
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Would anyone be interested in educating the public on caching at the 2010 Science Expo? The Einstein Project puts on the science expo to inform kids/adults on a variety of topics. They range from being green, careers, to why aged cheese tastes better.
They would really like someone or a group to talk with kids about caching. My mom works for this non profit hands on science company. we took her caching and she told the office about it. Everyone wanted to know more about caching and are very excited about it.

this is a link to the expo page http://www.einsteinproject.org/einstein/eventsnews/science+expo/default.asp

The expo in on March !3 at Shopko hall.

If you would like to contact them email einstein@einsteinproject.org
or you can contact me and i will connect.

Thank you for your help. i would help but we live 5 hrs away. sorry for the repeat i thought it could do better here then its first post.

lone_gunman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

is this just setting up and manning a booth or are we talking about some kind of presentation?

What\'s life? Life\'s easy. A quirk of matter. Nature\'s way of keeping meat fresh 
gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I looked at the site and, like Lone Gunman, I'm not quite sure what's being asked here. Could you provide more detail?

Scaffdogs
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Demonstration/information at a booth is what they are looking for. There is a stage where you could talk to a large group. At the booth you could have different cache types, list of the lingo, talk about gps, and leaving caches exactly where they find them, and logging TBs. They provide tables and you don't have to hand anything out if you don't want to. We feel the Einstein Project and Geocaching would be a great fit. They deal with Science and Math based education, and this Science Expo would be a cool place to educate some people about Geocaching. If you can help at all it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the replies!! Smile wink

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Are they looking for a short, scheduled presentation? Or being there all day at the expo? It sounds like they are looking for someone to be a part of a booth that's already going to be there?

I personally don't know where to begin with this having never been involved in any sort of geocaching presentation. Does someone in a more official capacity want to get involved so that we can see if this is an appropriate thing for the WGA to be involved in and that it is handled appropriately?

marc_54140
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like an ideal situation for the WGA to start passing out official pencils. (Ah, they have been ordered and received, correct?)

Justin and I manned a station at the Bubolz swamp thing this past fall. We just talked to people as they can up - intro to caching, gps types, what to do, web sites, etc. Had a nice handout as well, from Jeremy.

Scaffdogs
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

There is no booth set up already i was just throwing out ideas. It is a day long event. you wouldn't have to do the large group talk if you didn't want too. it would be talking to kids that come up to you. it would be an education kind of thing. If you want you can give me a phone number or email and i will have the project get ahold of you or you can contact them at the email listed in the first note.

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

PM sent.

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

The org has my contact info, and I'll let you know what additional details I'm given.

If we (the WGA) want to be a part of this, I'm sure there are many additional members in the GB area who can contribute, and one of our Board members is also from GB.

AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hm...how did my original post get deleted?

So who's going to pick up the cost? I know a non-profit organization has a fee of $50 for one table two chairs and a 10x10 area to be part of this event.....

We were asked if we would be intersted in doing a geocaching thing a few days ago, but had to decline as we are way busy with our group during the Expo. Truthfully, I'm not sure how well geocaching can be promoted as this is expo and the exhibitors are supposed to be geared towards "hand-on" learning, and last I looked GPSrs don't work too well indoors. Laughing

For those who may have interest, I encourage you to go for it if you have the time. Last year's attendance to the Expo was over 4,000 people (Mostly middle shool/high school). You work your butt off (well, we did), but it is a lot of fun!

It would be great to see some WGA presence this year as long as the activity/display is well thought out and not just thrown together last minute. This event does happen every year in Green Bay, so something to think about for 2011....if it can't happen for 2010.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would be interested in helping, but we definetely need some more information. I don't think Paying to set up a Booth is such a great deal fro us to get involved in.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

K0rpl wrote:
I would be interested in helping, but we definetely need some more information. I don't think Paying to set up a Booth is such a great deal fro us to get involved in.

All groups that participate pay for a booth or to sponsor an area. THe money goes to help fund the Einstein Project. I shouldn't be disappointed to see such a negative response and lack of reason to educate and promote geocaching because of a "fee", but I am. I'm sure I could find the WGA has spent far more money for far less/worse.

If you want to inform and educate a lot of people (and I mean A LOT) of people, there is no better one-day avenue to do just that. Especially when the audience is most likely made of non-cachers. Isn't this the type of venue the WGA should be focusing their education/information/promotion on? Or is WGA education/information/promotion only for DNR or city park seminars abd picnics, camp-outs and mega events sponsored by Chamber of Commerces?

As I mentioned, it's a lot of prep work (at least for our club) and the trick is to come up with hands-on activities versus all static displays. It may be to late for 2010, but 2011 is right around the corner........

WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
So who's going to pick up the cost? I know a non-profit organization has a fee of $50 for one table two chairs and a 10x10 area to be part of this event.....

Quote:
I shouldn't be disappointed to see such a negative response and lack of reason to educate and promote geocaching because of a "fee", but I am.

At first appearance, it seems that the first post makes the paying of the $50 a negative so I cannot fault Justin for his comment.
The second post seems to be a suprise that the fee response was recieved negatively.

maybe if the statement was made, "a 10' x 10' booth w/two chairs costs $50, would the WGA be willing to cover that cost?" it may not have been viewed as a negative. Also mentioning that if it wasn't a non-profit group, the cost would be $150, $50 might have been seen as a bargain to get the word out.

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

labrat_wr wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
I shouldn't be disappointed to see such a negative response and lack of reason to educate and promote geocaching because of a "fee", but I am.

At first appearance, it seems that the first post makes the paying of the $50 a negative so I cannot fault Justin for his comment.
The second post seems to be a suprise that the fee response was recieved negatively.

maybe if the statement was made, "a 10' x 10' booth w/two chairs costs $50, would the WGA be willing to cover that cost?" it may not have been viewed as a negative. Also mentioning that if it wasn't a non-profit group, the cost would be $150, $50 might have been seen as a bargain to get the word out.

Excuse me for not clarifying/defining myself well enough and giving me proper discourse on how I should have properly addressed my comments so there is no misunderstanding. Rolling Eyes I'll be sure to consult you first before I reply in the future.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

I received some additional information on this. Here is the information:

Hi AKA Michael Gotta Run: Your message was forwarded to us from one of our friends who posted our interest/need for someone to do Geocaching at our annual Science Expo coming up on March 13th. The Science Expo is a day of hands-on exploration in science and is geared toward Kindergarten to 8th grade students. Our interest would be for someone to have a “hands-on” booth to showcase geocaching. We are complete novices, but think it would be a great addition to the Expo. Booths are $50 for non-profits and do get you a 10X10 booth with an 8 foot table, 2 chairs and electrical if you let us know in advance.

From the discussion on the web it sounds like perhaps this might be a better idea next year, but yes, it’s the perfect place to hand out pencils and educate the public. It might be fun to have kids who wander by your table to see if they can find the cache that is right outside Shopko Hall. Not sure if that would work well or not. The people don’t all come at once, it’s throughout the day from 9 to 4 p.m. but we get around 3500 or so.

My response was:

You are correct that the general feeling on the forum is that this is a pretty big endeavor to pick up particularly in a short period of time. There is also some concern regarding how “hands on” a presentation could be because geocaching is an outdoor activity. While finding the cache outside the hall would accomplish this, it would not be a good idea for that particular cache because doing so would expose its location to a large public audience, which generally leads to caches going missing. Perhaps some “temporary” caches with an occasional “guided tour” using a GPS would be appropriate.

At this point, I’ll provide the additional information back to the WGA community and see what develops.

So, they are looking for a booth purchase, and a day-long presence at the event.

This is something that I personally am not in the position to pick up and run with, so I'm tossing the ball back in the court.

View next topic
View previous topic