49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Poll
What is your opinion of logging a "found it" on a cache where the logger has not solved the puzzle?
This is ok.
37%
 37%  [ 27 ]
This is not ok.
29%
 29%  [ 21 ]
Other answer not listed.
33%
 33%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 72

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

15-day poll.

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As owner of some pretty tricky puzzles, I prefer that all finders solve the puzzle, or have at least attempted to do so. But I don't hold it against anyone if they're, for example, in a group and log the cache. Besides, to each his/her own.

Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm kinda middle of the road on this one so I voted other. First of all I'm not big on puzzles even though we have found 140. My idea of geocaching is using the given coordinates to find something hidden in the woods. I checked the 140 that we found and there were about a dozen that we had help on from previous finders or the owner. Two of them were solved by our grand kids. One involved SpongeBob and the other involved texting; both are subjects that we know nothing about. We had no guilt in logging them since our grand kids are frequent caching partners. We have had offers to either tag along on group finds or be given gift coordinates and have turned down both offers. We have probably taken our grand kids along to find 50 of the puzzles that we've solved and I don't think they should feel guilty logging them. They introduced us to geocaching and it's my way of paying them back. Most of the 10 closest unfound caches to home right now are puzzles and we probably will never find them or do we really have that much desire to. It really doesn't bother us that they're out there.

Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've signed the log on a few puzzle caches that I haven't solved, but I haven't logged them online yet. Even on a couple that the CO said its OK to do so. If I ever solve them, I'll log online. Some cachers see this as another taboo. All the steps have to be taken, just in a little different sequence.

zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just checked, and I own 29 active ? caches. Most of those are field solves, so it is not an issue. 4 are Challenge Caches, and of course I do care that folks meet the requirements of the challenge before logging a find.

That leaves 7 that are actual puzzles, and personally I dont care how folks figure out the coords. If they solve the puzzle, fine. If they get the coords from a friend, that is fine with me too. I am probably in the minority with that view, but as far as I am concerned, play the game the way you want.

Also, from a pragmatic perspective, I am not sure how I would go about verifying foks solved it themselves anyway. I am not about to send finders of puzzle caches a quiz to test if they really solved it or not.

z

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 
lone_gunman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd imagine that most people would be middle of the road on this issue

What\'s life? Life\'s easy. A quirk of matter. Nature\'s way of keeping meat fresh 
Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

zuma wrote:
I am not about to send finders of puzzle caches a quiz to test if they really solved it or not.

That's happened to me once... Confused

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a fencesitter on this one, so I entered an "other" vote. In principle, I do understand each of us has our own reasons for playing this game, and to each his own. I like to solve puzzles on my own before looking for the cache itself, defining "on my own" as spending quite a bit of time before asking for small hints if needed. So yeah, after the hours I spent on S4 or some other tough puzzles, it bugs me just a tiny bit to see someone claim those as tagalongs or whatever. But I get over it pretty quickly and move on. All I can ever hope to do is control my own actions and choices. What others do is beyond my reach and I just can't worry about that.

sweetlife
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As with my views on temps not being real caches, puzzles that you do not solve should not be logged either.

As we do not usually cache with others, so we solve anything that we find, up to now most have been field solves, except for a few of B-squared in Escanaba that we solved last year, but I did sit down Sunday and solved over 12 and bookmarked 18 more that can be field solved. usually we filter out puzzles on our PQ's so I can add these to the GPS at any time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Did other, as well. If someone taught me something about solving the puzzle, I will log it, whether it be the CO or another cacher.

I did find one once while caching with a group at the WBCB and got a few e-mails from cachers asking how I found the Final when a WP was missing!

I deleted my own log! Embarassed

benny7210
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

zuma wrote:
but as far as I am concerned, play the game the way you want.

z

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:
What others do is beyond my reach and I just can't worry about that.

Well said guys....

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I answered other. I used to actively work on puzzles and share solves with others as we cached as a team. Sometimes the solves were mine, sometimes theirs, but relatively equal. I have been called out on it, and decided to end that practice. Having my integrity questioned logging puzzle finds took quite a bit of the pleasure away, and quite frankly there are plenty of challenging caches out there that only require that I sign the log book to prove myself. I still do the occasional hard puzzles (the S4s come to mind), but not nearly at the level of interest I previously had.

AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I admit, I will log a puzzle if I didn't solve it, but only if I put some real effort into trying to solve it. There are some puzzle cache logs that I have signed when I was with a group, but did not log as I didn't even look at the puzzle. For that, I don't deserve the smily.

Personally, I would appreciate that the cacher would have at least made an attempt at trying to solve the puzzle before logging the find. But I can't and won't dictate how people play. I've got more important things to expend my energy on than chastising, manipulating, guilting, shaming, condemning, etc people for logging a cache I may feel they have not rightfully expended the time, energy or brains in actually solving first.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There are rules and requirements dealing with the placement of caches.

There are no rules dealing with the finding of caches.

This poll is interesting, to see how many are on which side of the fence. But the fence does have lots of holes in it .........

Todd300

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've always cached solo on puzzle caches. I have only found two puzzles that are not field solves. I took a look at other puzzles and didn't even bother to sit down and try and solve it. I'm not gonna spend 10 hours trying to crack a puzzle. If I can't even begin to figure it out, on my iggy list it goes.

But I will not log caches that I didn't solve. This goes for challenge caches too.

View next topic
View previous topic