49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
cheezehead
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Living in the Great North woods, I am fortunate enough have plenty of County ,State & Federal public lands to find and place caches on. I've have done a hand full of cemetery caches. And each time I have found a cache in a cemetery, I felt very uneasy and uncomfortable in doing so. I know that other parts of the state, there is not much open public land to place caches. It is MY opinion that are just wrong thou the Big Green Frog ok's them. I do like history, and maybe some cemetery caches are meant to remember that history. I just don't need to get a smiley cuz for me it's not about the numbers.

People can chose how to play the game, cuz that's what this all is is just a game. Temps, micros,puzzles & cemetery hides, if ya don't like them, just don't look for them. That's what the ignore feature is for.

Who of any of us it is to say who is right and who is wrong? I don't know of any school that has given a degree to anyone that say they are an expert in geocaching or a professional geocacher. My 400 finds or 100+ hides are no more important than some one who has 4,000 finds or 1000+ hides. They may have more experience than me, but that doesn't mean they are in any way better cacher than me.

In some of the topics in these forums, I have gotten so worked up that I have contemplated just saying "screw it" and pulling all my caches. But that would mean that they win(what I dunno?) And I wouldn't be the loser either, well I guess I would be. I would lose the enjoyment of reading the logs I receive from those who enjoyed my caches and challenges of the hunt.(For some, not so much enjoyment on their part).

So what do all this drivel mean? I have no clue. It's just the thoughts and the way I felt right now.

These are my thoughts and my thoughts only. If some one has issues with my thoughts, TUFF!! Cuz I DON"T CARE about YOUR issues. They are YOUR issues. Deal with them as you feel fit!

Last edited by cheezehead on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total 
TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Whatever happened, don't let it get to you. I've been there too, and written threads just like this one. I've been tempted on several occasions to just pull the plug on my caches and give up, and actually had to on one serries.

No matter where you go in life, there are going to be people who rub you the wrong way. Geocaching, and the WGA are no different. I've seen to many good people driven out of geocaching, and would hate to see that again.

Take it all in stride, ignore the folks who bug you, and play the game the way you see fit.

-cheeto-
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was very reluctant to place any caches, as an owner, in a cemetery. I personally own one now but waited a long, long time before placing one. And the one I placed was a replacement for one marc archived. I probably won't place anymore. The reasons I waited are many. The reasons I probably won't place anymore are many.

Turns out I enjoy visiting rural cemetery caches. Cemeteries out in the country that don't see many visitors otherwise. They are very interesting places to visit. I am a local history nut and this probably has something to do with why it's interesting for me. Also, you see things you would never see anywhere else.

I am not as much of a fan of urban cemetery caches. Cemeteries like Highland Memorial in Appleton that have many many visitors each day. I feel out of place hunting caches in these locations when others are there grieving and I am not. So much so that when I have done caches here, I have also visited my loved one's to sort of "legitimize" my presence.

The other thing I've always wondered about is, how many cemetery caches actually are placed with land manager/owner permission? It sounds like a gray area and I've talked with marc on the subject before but it's always intrigued me. I would think it would be an up-hill battle to convince cemetery land managers to play "games" there.

The other thing I think is that like anything else in this game, quantity is not always a good thing. Quality is what we should strive for with these types of placements. i.e. just because a cemetery is there doesn't necessarily mean it "needs" a geocache. Is this particular cemetery a place that others would enjoy visiting? Is there something intriguing? Something unique?

I visited a virtual cache that brought me to Al Capone's grave site as the final destination. It's in the Chicago area and on the WGA recommended bookmark list if you're interested. This cemetery is an absolutely amazing place. My visit was the highlight of the business trip. There was so much history. Ten's of thousands of headstones. There were crypts larger than my house. 25 ft tall cross headstones. Without geocaching I would have never even thought to visit this type of place. With geocaching I actually learned quite a bit about the area and it's history through researching some of the names resting there and some of the names featured in the virtual cache itself (it's a multi). Now that's a place for a geocache.

Yes there are plenty of parks to put caches in. But some life experiences aren't possible in a park.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been questioned on different occasions about my activities in a cemetery. I've given a variety of explanations based on the situations, but never try to hide what I'm doing. I generally explain that there's an internet site that lists interesting places to see and that this cemetery was on the list. Most cemetery custodians that I've spoken with are perfectly fine with this and some ask for more info (because they're curious).

I have a few rural cemetery caches and actually enjoy having them because it takes people off the beaten path. I'm actually working on another one that will be a tribute to my grandparents and am going to make it a little more "fun" by including something that makes me think of my grandmother (can't disclose the details yet).

I also enjoy wandering through cemeteries (as weird as that seems) thanks to Marc's WSQ 9xx series. Know that I've spent some time in a number of cemeteries it's amazing to me how much "scenery", "architecture", and "art" there is. I had no idea prior to caching. I've even stumbled upon the graves of old friends, friends of the family, etc. which makes it more interesting. And now thanks to the GPS I'm mapping the gravesites of family members for historical purposes.

Johnny Cache
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CodeJunkie wrote:
I generally explain that there's an internet site that lists interesting places to see and that this cemetery was on the list.

And now thanks to the GPS I'm mapping the gravesites of family members for historical purposes.

2 excellent suggestions. Thanks.

Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Our funniest cemetery story happened at a small rural cemetery near Watertown late last fall. Our grand daughter Emma was still up in the tree from retrieving the cache. Another car drove and a man walked over to the grave marker where we got information for the final waypoints. We told Emma to wait in the tree so she could retrieve the cache again and save him a climb. I walked over and when I was close enough I blurted something out about are you finding the right infomation or do you need any help with the waypoints. Just then I realized he was not a geocacher, but the custodian of the cemetery. The paper in his hand was a layout of the grave plots. I was now just a few feet away from him and as he looked up I struggled for words. Out came the first thing I could think of. "I see your out today checking to make sure everyone is still here". Needless to say Emma came down from the tree and we drove off all having a good laugh.

marc_54140
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Some people, for whatever reason, do not like cemeteries. That's personality.

If you are not sure, thing about these things:

1. Cemeteries are the final resting places our ancestors, friends, etc. But we place stone there, telling their names, dates, other odds and ends about them. Why?

Well, for anyone who visits, so they know something about the person before whose grave they stand. Might be a relative, or just a passerby.

2. Cemeteries are meant to be visited! Ask a caretaker, or manager of the site, whatever. You are sure to be told to come back, and often!

Cemeteries celebrate life, and death.

I know of cemeteries that hold art fairs on site. Car rallies, cemetery walks (where you get to met a 'stand in' for the person lying there), plays, art tours, etc.

Still not certain? Next you go for a geocache in a cemetery, do not hunt the cache. Instead, walk up and down the aisles. Look at ten different stones. Read the names, the dates. Who was this person? What did he or she do? Cause of death? Family? Relatives nearby? Children?

Cemeteries are living history books, carved in stone. Only, these books do not last. Many stones in older locations are so faded you can no longer read them.

For everything under the sun, there is a time...........

Todd300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow. Well said, Marc.

I have 3 cemetery hides myself and plan to place more this spring.

I enjoy cemetery caches and looking at the different markers and taking in a bit of history to boot.

BakRdz
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Great points. When I first started caching, you wouldn't get me near a cemetery. Too morbid. Bad flashbacks of funerals. Etc. Now they honestly are one of my favorite "take-a-break" caches. You just never know what you'll find (literally!). Today was another great example.

Stopped at WSQ Bluffton Cemetery. On the way in I was all about finding the cache. On the way out, I let my eyes wander. Here I had walked right past one of the most unique markers I'd ever seen.

I wasn't looking for it, but I spent quite some time by it appreciating it and wondering about the person who was laid to rest there. The person who crafted it obviously wanted people to notice and appreciate it or else why spend the time on it. Sure, it's a nice memorial for the person who was buried there, but there has to be more to it. I've now come to appreciate markers as works of art dedicated to the fallen. And like works of art, it is the impression the viewer gets back from it that makes it important to the viewer.

Without WSQ caches, I would miss out on treasures like this. I've said in another forum that I'm probably not going to bother posting the ALR pics on Marc's 9XX caches, but I really appreciate the placement of them and completely respect the time and intent behind them. It is only because I want to make my OWN discoveries and not be on the hunt for anything else while there. When I'm focused on hunting something, I miss discoveries that make an impression on me...like today...and that is why I do this... to find things I didn't know were there, not just a container with a piece of paper in it.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I saw that pipe monument, and was tempted to post another 900 cache.

lone_gunman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've had a cemetery worker point me in the right direction

What\'s life? Life\'s easy. A quirk of matter. Nature\'s way of keeping meat fresh 
CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

marc_54140 wrote:

My WSQ / My picture for the soon to be cache. Dibs. Whatever, but it's mine. Stay out of my cemetery. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

In all seriousness I thought about listing a RP for this marker, but then decided against it. This cemetery also has a child on the far west end with the name "Benjamin Franklin". I forget the last name, but that struck me when I walked past.

I have a great marker in mind for the 9xx cache that talks about "symbols". There's a marker here in Berlin for a guy that died early in life. He was a huge Chevy fan and the marker is the Chevy symbol. Complete with car pictures. It's amazing what you find in cemeteries from an artwork perspective.

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There is a cemetery above Cazenovia that has a life sized monument for a guy in the shape of a Harley.

The guy is not dead yet. He can go visit his spot and enjoy it now. I think we used it for Marc's something different 900 cache.

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

-cheeto- wrote:
The other thing I think is that like anything else in this game, quantity is not always a good thing.

It does kind of make me wonder whether, when you have an urban cemetery with caches shoehorned in a .1 mile grid, some people might look at that and say, "Talk about over kill!"

It's interesting that this thread came up at this time because the other day we began looking at all our cemetery caches for potential archival. The criteria was, does this cache add something? Is it quality? Or is it just another micro cache? As a result I do expect we will be archiving quite a few in the near future.

On the other hand, there are several cemeteries in our "Shawano County Cemetery Challenge" series that would probably get very few visitors, or perhaps even no visitors, if it weren't for geocachers. Some are abandoned and overgrown. One is a nearly forgotten potters field with one stone for hundreds of residents. One is in the middle of a cow pasture. Some are no more than marks on a plat map with the stones long gone.

That series was a long process of scouring plat maps and working with local genealogical groups and in some cases meeting the land owners. So if at least some of the cachers who do part or all of the series can experience that, it's a good thing. So that series will remain active, even though there are a few urban cemeteries in it. (Well, if you count Shawano as urban...)

Regarding cemetery hides in general, we've always been comfortable trolling through graveyards due to a long interest in genealogy. However, some hides are questionable, and some caching practices have been downright disrespectful. Cemeteries are an area where the "game" aspect of geocaching should be deemphasized, in my opinion.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

marc_54140 wrote:

That is an amazing marker. My father has been a machinist for about 40 years...and my brother for almost 25 years. That marker would be a very fitting tribute to their life's work.

I enjoy cemetery hides; they are some of my favorites. I love to see the history and art. The more rural the better. Not much beats an old hilltop cemetery out in the country.

View next topic
View previous topic