49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
kansas64
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok first of I know the WGA is not setting out to make an income but the more revenue the more the BOD and the WGA can do

1)The biggest income maker per the BOD meeting minutes is the Geocoins, ok I know that they are somewhat a pain to create having done so myself. I would like the WGA to on a yearly basis after the BOD annual meeting start on the process of creating a geocoin (much like it is being done this year). However I would like to see this if possible become a mandated item. It seems if the WGA does not produce a coin there will be a significant drop in the revenue stream.

2)The second biggest income maker has been Tshirts (I am assuming those sold at the campout and not those via CafePress). The shirt for the events have been decent quality (a little bright) and at a fair cost. I recently went on to CafePress to purchase a GUILT t-Shirt (Grown Up Idiots Looking for Tupperware), to my amazement 2 shirts (both long sleeved and one 2x) was almost $90.00 with shipping (I didn't buy). I would assume that we could do our own shirt much cheaper, and instead of just doing a camping event T-Shirt maybe we could do a yearly shirt, or even shirts for the picnic and CITOs also. IT just seems there is a better solution to do it internally

zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

1. On the geocoins, I think most people, including the current board agree with you that we should do geocoins on an annual basis. This year's geocoin commmittee, chaired by Cheeto, is doing a great job in spearheading this process, and I think we will get some exciting design ideas.

As far as mandating it annually, it is hard for current boards to mandate to future boards what they will do in the future, though we do kind of do that that with the campout and the geo-picnic. It is hard to know how market changes may impact geocoin sales in the future, and this is something that future boards will have to assess each year.

2. On the T-shirts, we do plan on having T-shirts available for this year's campout. Renee and Gwyn will be leading that effort. In the past, T-shirts have been more of a member service rather than an income source, and profits from T-shirt sales are not large. I would prefer to keep the prices of the shirts low enough that most people can buy them, rather then set the prices so high, that few are bought.

3. We do have other ideas for income sources over the coming year:

a) Cafe Press is going to be set up differently, so that the WGA gets 10% of the proceeds from items purchased there. Look for an announcement from Renee when she gets this set up. This wont generate a lot of income, but it will be better than nothing.

b) The WGA has been recently approved as an official distributor of Groundspeak, Inc. This will allow us to sell Groundspeak items at events (like the popular Signal) at a profit. Thanks to Renee for working on this, and details will be complete by the time of our campout.

c) Pathtags. We are currently assessing the potential profitabilty of pathtags. Dont expect quick action on this until after we have a design finished for the geocoins.

Thanks for the suggestions.

zuma

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 
huffinpuffin2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

zuma wrote:

b) The WGA has been recently approved as an official distributor of Groundspeak, Inc. This will allow us to sell Groundspeak items at events (like the popular Signal) at a profit. Thanks to Renee for working on this, and details will be complete by the time of our campout.
zuma

Pretty sure this isn't an original thought for a website such as this, but where does the WGA stand on non-pesky website advertising, such as used on GC.com? If marketing is a hassle, you could merely accept those pre-approved by GC.com for their use...with the addition of a dash of local flavorings. Their approach seems pretty successful at bringing ads of value to geocachers, without being intrusive.

Here's a link to GC.com's approach: http://www.geocaching.com/about/advertising.aspx

kansas64
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Zuma,
You missed my point with the TShirts and Cafe Press, after seeing how much they marked up the product I wouldn't go there. Try pricing something out there yourself. I would guess that if you added a minimal mark up on shirts as I suggested (say $1.00 or 2.00) per shirt it would be a bigger income stream as I dont think many will use Cafe Press given there prices

zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

huffinpuffin2 wrote:
zuma wrote:

zuma

Pretty sure this isn't an original thought for a website such as this, but where does the WGA stand on non-pesky website advertising, such as used on GC.com? If marketing is a hassle, you could merely accept those pre-approved by GC.com for their use...with the addition of a dash of local flavorings. Their approach seems pretty successful at bringing ads of value to geocachers, without being intrusive.

Here's a link to GC.com's approach: http://www.geocaching.com/about/advertising.aspx

Thanks for the suggestion. Will look into it.

z

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 
zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

kansas64 wrote:
Zuma,
You missed my point with the TShirts and Cafe Press, after seeing how much they marked up the product I wouldn't go there. Try pricing something out there yourself. I would guess that if you added a minimal mark up on shirts as I suggested (say $1.00 or 2.00) per shirt it would be a bigger income stream as I dont think many will use Cafe Press given there prices

I guess I did miss your point. We dont expect Cafe Press to generate much income, but wanted to continue that option for those interested in those items, at what we agree is too high of a cost for most people.

And I should clarify my comments on T-shirts at the campout. While the board agreed to do this again this year, we have not yet discussed pricing, so my comments on pricing was just my personal opinion, not a board position, that markups on shirts for the campout should be kept minimal, which has been past practice.

Just my opinion on pricing shirts: If we charge a $2.00 markup for them and sell about 80 of them, net income is only going to be $160. Increasing the markup to $4.00 per shirt does not mean that our profit would e $320, since demand is elastic and would go down. I would prefer to keep the cost down as we have in the past, allow as many people as desire them, to get them at a reasonable cost as a member service. We will discuss this though prior to the campout, and appreciate the input, as a board decision on pricing has not yet been discussed.

Tie would have the actual numbers from last year on the T-shirts, but in general it has not been considered a major income source. We appreciate the input and will take a look at determining the best price point.

z

-cheeto-
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also, we're going to be selling stickers that will generate income.

cheezehead
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to add that it would be nice to order a shirt if your are not able to go to the event. I'd pay for the shipping. Cuz not all members are able to attend event to get a shirt. Is there another option other than Cafe Press?

sweetlife
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here are some other states "stores"

Michigan http://www.migostore.org/

GONIL http://www.cafepress.com/gonil

Minn http://www.cafepress.com/MNGCA

geochums http://sewbananas.com/

maryland http://www.cafepress.com/mdgps

Northern Virginia http://www.cafepress.com/novago

iowa http://www.iowageocachers.org/merchandise

these are the ones that I could find quickly, as you can see cafepress is the choice, but I think that is more for ease of setup. MiGO runs their own store, but that entails someone holding inventory. last year, I know that Todd of sunshine gang was the one running the store over there, maybe someone from the BOD should contact him or Migo in general and see how they do it.

Barry

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

cheezehead wrote:
I'd like to add that it would be nice to order a shirt if your are not able to go to the event. I'd pay for the shipping. Cuz not all members are able to attend event to get a shirt. Is there another option other than Cafe Press?

Thanks for the idea.

z

Timberline Echoes
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How about a WGA shirt, sweatshirt and/or cap without any dates that is available all the time? May even have a witty saying? Always make great gifts.
TE

Scrappy Scout

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know i would buy a shirt and a hat even a couple of them so i can wear them at events or when out and about to help promote the WGA and the sport we all love. but we would have to make sure (speaking for myself here) that we have Fat man sizes for me, Laughing

Our Blog: http://scrappyscout.blogspot.com/ 
AuntieNae
WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just tossing a question back .. on the t-shirt sales other than cafepress year round .. do you know how the other organizations handle the printing, stocking and shipping?

WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know of two ways in the outsource method that this is done. The first way, the organization decides how much of each size, style and color of each item should be ordered. They pay for all of the inventory but it is sold through the store much like consigment goods.

In the second way, the store holds the individual orders until they have enough to send to the printer. The six to eight weeks your waiting is for all the other people to place their orders and create enough volume for the large order.

Another club that I used to be a member of, would order a bunch of items (shirts, hats, hoodies, umbrellas sweatshirts, visors) and keep selling them off at each event until they were all gone. I know this takes a bit of good guessing so that your not stuck with 20 small sweaters that no one wants. But the person in charge was pretty good, in fact she got to the point that each month she had something new in her "store"

One thought might be to hold a T-shirt sale a couple times a year rather than year round.

kansas64
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Regarding Naes comment-sorry I dont know how any other group handles there shirts besides Cafepress, it is just my belief we can do better both in value and revenue. One suggestion off the top of my head is do any of the trade schools offer a printing class that could print product.

Regarding Zumas comment on the possible revenue-Sorry you got me confused. From things that have been said over various threads, we made nothing from CafePress last , and per the Board meeting minutes we made $200.00 for the sale of shirts. This tells me the income from shirt is based on what Tie was selling at the camp out last year. So by bumping up the price a bit we would just be only making X, we would be adding it to additional revenues.

Food for thought (please correct me if I wrong) Tie sold shirt for $15.00 per shirt unless you needed a bigger guy size, which I believe was $2.00 more. So for me alone $17.00. CafePress, $14.99 for the shirt (up to xl), $3.00 more for 2xl plus. So I am at $17.99. Now if this I think proves my argument because at 99 cents more so what, nobody will complain about the buck. However you have to add $5.25 for shipping, so the $17.00 shirt the WGA sold sells for $23.24. At that difference I aint buying

Regarding the stickers, yes they will add income but first we can not be sure how much. Secondly I dont know that people will buy them for use. After all Groundspeak sells stickers for ammo cans and in all my finds I think I have seen less than 25 of those stickers, granted I dont see many ammo cans either. BTW I dont mean to sound negative about the stickers I actually like the idea.

View next topic
View previous topic