The Wisconsin Geocaching Association

  Login or Register

Website Navigation

62.png Home

49.png Information Center
26.png WGA Newsletters
24.png Reviewer's Words
53.png Presentation Resources
39.png Geocaching Files
27.png Bookmarks
56.png Location Rules and Regs
49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors
 
Contact Us

 
Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

 
Follow Us

Twitter Button

 
Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
 
Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax
 
COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books


More Info >>>

 
 
Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums
 

 

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Todd300




Joined: 2009-06-05
Posts: 2477
Location: Menominee, MI

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Caches with very inaccurate D/T ratings. For example, a T1.5 cache that ends up being a very long hike on rough terrain in the woods? Yeah right.
 
View user's profile Send private message
koolma_k
WGA Member



Joined: 2010-03-23
Posts: 1387
Location: Brown Deer

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

School Fees and Excessive Field trip Fees!!!
Ok, I don't know about other people and how the schools in their areas work but here is my pet peeve for my local school district:
Registration Fee runs roughly $60-$70 per kid (I have 2)
Technology Fee roughly $40-45
Some classe have additional fee
A list of supplies that includes, kleenex, aluminum foil, hand sanitizer, clorox wipes, ziplock baggies, several pkg's of markers, around 200 pencils, ect... total for 2 kids around another $120-$150
Then there are pictures, at the beginning of school with the standard photographer, runs 20-40 per kid, then pictures again (with a much nicer photographer)around March for 30-40 a kid
Fieldtrips $6-$43!!!!!!! (and there are enough trips... trust me, the average is around $12)
Now, I pay high rent (which covers the taxes the property has to pay for this area), taxes are fairly high in this area, among the things they cover is the public school. Now, with all that money.... why can't they afford kleenex, and why to the kids have to take coach busses on field trips???
I remember we took a school bus, and traveled up to 2+hrs and we survived!!!
(Sorry, just got the slip on my sons $43 end of the year fieldtrip and the bill for the March photos.... over $100!!)

_________________
\"Great.... water\" 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member



Joined: 2007-03-18
Posts: 2231
Location: Kenosha, WI

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

koolma_k wrote:
School Fees and Excessive Field trip Fees!!!
Ok, I don't know about other people and how the schools in their areas work but here is my pet peeve for my local school district:
Registration Fee runs roughly $60-$70 per kid (I have 2)
Technology Fee roughly $40-45
Some classe have additional fee
A list of supplies that includes, kleenex, aluminum foil, hand sanitizer, clorox wipes, ziplock baggies, several pkg's of markers, around 200 pencils, ect... total for 2 kids around another $120-$150
Then there are pictures, at the beginning of school with the standard photographer, runs 20-40 per kid, then pictures again (with a much nicer photographer)around March for 30-40 a kid
Fieldtrips $6-$43!!!!!!! (and there are enough trips... trust me, the average is around $12)
Now, I pay high rent (which covers the taxes the property has to pay for this area), taxes are fairly high in this area, among the things they cover is the public school. Now, with all that money.... why can't they afford kleenex, and why to the kids have to take coach busses on field trips???
I remember we took a school bus, and traveled up to 2+hrs and we survived!!!
(Sorry, just got the slip on my sons $43 end of the year fieldtrip and the bill for the March photos.... over $100!!)


I hear ya. There's not a week that goes by that there's not another expense envelope coming home from school. It's worst at the begining of the year, and at the end. Now tack on instrument rentals, lessons and hot lunches, and I think a third of my paycheck goes to the school system. Hey, at least my boy is getting the best education available. Shocked

No disrespect to any of you school teachers out there, you guys are overworked and underpaid I know. I'll be one of you soon enough!
 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BigJim60
WGA Member



Joined: 2010-01-02
Posts: 7222
Location: Auburndale, WI

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My first degree was in Forestry. It drives me nuts when a cache log has a clue or reference in the cache name about "Pine" and the cache is hidden in or by a spruce, fur, or cedar. All conifers are NOT pines.

_________________
BigJim
There are three kinds of people in this world ... the wee, the not-so-wee, and the frickin huge. 
View user's profile Send private message
koolma_k
WGA Member



Joined: 2010-03-23
Posts: 1387
Location: Brown Deer

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, $29mo for a sax, over $20/wk for hot lunch for two kids (thankfully I don't have to pay for extra lessons, but soccer takes up around $400 a year.... what happened to the good ol' days when kids just went out and occupied themselves until the street lights came on??? lol

_________________
\"Great.... water\" 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Braid Beards Gang
WGA Member



Joined: 2009-07-28
Posts: 5056
Location: Milwaukee, WI

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
School Fees and Excessive Field trip Fees!!!
Ok, I don't know about other people and how the schools in their areas work but here is my pet peeve for my local school district


I wonder if this is the reason.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/93746059.html

_________________
Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late - Jimmy Buffett 
View user's profile Send private message
RSplash40
WGA Member



Joined: 2006-12-23
Posts: 6260

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

BigJim60 wrote:
My first degree was in Forestry. It drives me nuts when a cache log has a clue or reference in the cache name about "Pine" and the cache is hidden in or by a spruce, fur, or cedar. All conifers are NOT pines.


Don't go to appleton then, you'll be disappointed...

_________________
Accosting pine tree\'s and rendering caches harmless since 2005.... 
View user's profile Send private message
koolma_k
WGA Member



Joined: 2010-03-23
Posts: 1387
Location: Brown Deer

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Braid Beard's Gang wrote:
Quote:
School Fees and Excessive Field trip Fees!!!
Ok, I don't know about other people and how the schools in their areas work but here is my pet peeve for my local school district


I wonder if this is the reason.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/93746059.html


Nice.... really nice..... that would explain why they tried to charge me three different times for one gym outfit I paid cash for at the beginning of the year.....

_________________
\"Great.... water\" 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RSplash40
WGA Member



Joined: 2006-12-23
Posts: 6260

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Going to a meeting where only adults are in attendance, going to the bathroom and finding out too late the last adult didn't bother to clean up the seat after they missed while standing.

_________________
Accosting pine tree\'s and rendering caches harmless since 2005.... 
View user's profile Send private message
koolma_k
WGA Member



Joined: 2010-03-23
Posts: 1387
Location: Brown Deer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Selfish people who Lie.. and at this moment... MEN

_________________
\"Great.... water\" 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member



Joined: 2007-03-18
Posts: 2231
Location: Kenosha, WI

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

koolma_k wrote:
Selfish people who Lie.. and at this moment... MEN



O U C H ! ! ! Very Happy
 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sandlanders
WGA Member



Joined: 2008-01-18
Posts: 19310
Location: Adams, WI

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Poison ivy.

Poison ivy by the roadsides where you are looking to place a cache or where you are getting out of the car.

Poison ivy at or on the way to caches that were placed in the winter.

Poison ivy in a 50' radius all around GZ.

Poison ivy.
 
View user's profile Send private message
labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President



Joined: 2007-05-19
Posts: 6072
Location: The Wildside

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sandlanders wrote:
Poison ivy.

Poison ivy by the roadsides where you are looking to place a cache or where you are getting out of the car.

Poison ivy at or on the way to caches that were placed in the winter.

Poison ivy in a 50' radius all around GZ.

Poison ivy.


isn't that just a way for a cache owner to say "how bad do you want that smiley?"


aka "strategic botany"

_________________
Operor vel Operor Non , Illic Est Haud Tendo

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
View user's profile Send private message
sandlanders
WGA Member



Joined: 2008-01-18
Posts: 19310
Location: Adams, WI

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

labrat_wr wrote:
sandlanders wrote:
Poison ivy.

Poison ivy by the roadsides where you are looking to place a cache or where you are getting out of the car.

Poison ivy at or on the way to caches that were placed in the winter.

Poison ivy in a 50' radius all around GZ.

Poison ivy.


isn't that just a way for a cache owner to say "how bad do you want that smiley?"


aka "strategic botany"

No.

Poison ivy when it is not listed on the attributes.
 
View user's profile Send private message
glorkar
WGA Member



Joined: 2009-09-24
Posts: 496
Location: Oshkosh/Berlin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

My pet peeves usually revolve around cars:
1. people who signal, as they're turning
2. people who don't signal at all
3. people who leave their high beams on
4. people who don't adjust their low beams correctly so they are left shinning in your eyes light high beams any way
5. people who do number 4 above and get HID or pretend HID bulbs!
 
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:       
Post new topic   Reply to topic

View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2008 phpBB Group
:: Theme & Graphics by Daz :: Ported for PHP-Nuke by nukemods.com ::
All times are GMT - 6 Hours
 
Forums ©
 
Legal Notice | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Parental Consent Form | contact | Comments ]

All content © 2013 Wisconsin Geocaching Association, except comments and forum entries which are property of their posters.

The Groundspeak Geocaching Logo is a registered trademark of Groundspeak, Inc. Used with permission.
 


Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the WGA Terms of Use


Distributed by Raven PHP Scripts
New code written and maintained by the RavenNuke™ TEAM


(Original PHP-Nuke Code Copyright © 2004 by Francisco Burzi)
Page Generation: 0.12 Seconds

:: fisubice phpbb2 style by Daz :: PHP-Nuke theme by www.nukemods.com ::
:: fisubice Theme Recoded To 100% W3C CSS & HTML 4.01 Transitional & XHTML 1.0 Transitional Compliance by RavenNuke™ TEAM ::

:: W3C CSS Compliance Validation :: W3C HTML 4.01 Transitional Compliance Validation :: W3C XHTML 1.0 Transitional Compliance Validation ::