49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Cujo31
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings all!

My first post here... My name is Matt and I am a teacher in the Clintonville area and have been doing caching off and on for a few years now. Just got back into it recently with my GF's son and have been enjoying a nice Summer of caching. One thing that has kinda gotten under my skin is the number of caches near me (Appleton, Oshkosh, Clintonville, Shawano) that have trackable items listed but upon finding them there is nothing....

How is the best way to handle this?

I don't specifically hunt caches for trackables...I just see those as added frosting on a already sweet cake... but it does slighlty alarm me how many are missing here and there....

Generally, I will leave a note in the log when I find one missing and leave a note in the trackable as well.

Anyway, don't want to be all negative Razz Just wanted to say hello and find out what others do in this case Smile

Have fun!

Matt (Cujo31)

JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

If it's the truth, it isn't negative!

You have just joined the club of head-shakers and head-scratchers that wonder why trackables are stolen. It is one of the disappointments of geocaching. And cache owners can't always be checking there caches daily to see if the trackables that are listed are PHYSICALLY there, so they take other cachers words on whether a TB is there.
I posted 1 missing yesterday after it was mentioned in an online log. Some cachers don't log there trackable movements because of ignorance or newness to the game and lack of information on HOW to log it. Or they think it is swag for the taking!
Your only consolation is that it wasn't your trackable that was swiped! Sorry if you rushed to the cache to see a beautuful coin that is now in someone's private stash... Sad

But thanks for posting, Cujo31, and welcome back to the hunt! Very Happy

bartrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I read your post in the WGA forums about missing trackables. I basically do the same thing you do. Quite a few of those things go missing...unfortunately. I have a number of my own that have gone missing...sometimes they reappear...sometimes they end up in somebody's "collection"...sometimes they get lost...sometimes somebody just forgets to log them, which is the best of the worst case scenario...etc. There are thieves out there that collect geocoins....you'll find them for sale on e-bay. Some owners drill them to make them worthless. Travel bugs are less frequently stolen, but ones that have eye-catching items attached to them will go missing more often than those with something ugly or nondescript attached to them. It's a shame because the concept is an interesting one. I don't put my current geocoins in caches anymore. I take them with me to events for other cachers to look at and log...so sad.
But welcome to geocaching...glad you're making an active effort to keep those trackables moving. Hope you can get up to the Oconto area some day...we've got some great caches around the area Very Happy

Cujo31
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

JimandLinda,

It's not the first time that things were not where they were supposed to be... and I have gotten past the dissapointment... Just wondered if me posting was the correct solution in the cache logs... and worried that maybe it was just a problem in this area....

I must admit that I have been putting together a theme cache that I would like to hide in the Clintonville area... but I worry that the trackables I would put in it or even the container itself might go AWOL. I started it almost a year and a half ago... and still haven't placed it yet... hoping for a good spot or idea area to place it...

My first travel bug:
http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1466705

Perhaps... it is merely a version of Live and Learn Razz

Matt

[/url]

Cujo31
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bartrod:

Thanks for the invitation... would love to come up to Oconto and do some caching at some point! And I agree with you that it is sad that coins get "collected" by some... I just found a interesting alternate the other day in a cache that I found... the item was a round piece of wood that the owner had attached photocopies of his coin to... Much larger than a regular coin. I suppose it was his way of keeping his "real" coin but still letting his coin go out and travel. Neat concept... but think the real coin would have been much prettier to see...

.....and I have read the posts on geocaching.com about the uglier a TB is the better it travels... Don't want to have to make mine hideous to get it move a few miles Razz

Thanks for the insight!

Matt (Cujo31)

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cujo31 wrote:

Generally, I will leave a note in the log when I find one missing and leave a note in the trackable as well.

Leaving a note in both is the best way to go. The cache owner can then log the bug as missing if it is likely gone (i.e., dropped in a long time ago with many subsequent cache finders). Also, as a bug owner, it's helpful to be alerted of this information, which saves the trouble of having to search through logs when doing a periodic bug check-up.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for being concerned about these types of things.

Cujo31
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Notes have been posted....

Spent some time doing that tonight....

Put together a lil caching website for myself...

My Webpage

And got all packed up....

Me and GF are off to Tenn./ N. carolina for a week

See all of you when we get back Smile

The Happy Hodag
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

The best case scenario in my mind is that another cacher came along and picked it up and will log it when they get the chance, or my eyes just missed it. However, I know better, and in a lot of cases, they are missing. I've had something like this happen to me already in one of my caches, and after several logs of not finding the TB in question, I went and checked. The TB was gone, so I had no choice but to mark it as missing. Hopefully, it turns up again because I had heard it was a beautiful TB.

-The Happy Hodag!

View next topic
View previous topic