49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Ashen15
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know there are several posts on this, but Iím trying to keep everything straight for my sanity and get some final opinions.

I am torn between the Garmin 62s and the Oregon 550.

When it comes to the terrain maps, we have a car GPS and a very nice turn by turn with the c:geo app. on my phone. The hiking we do is in WI and Iím not really concerned about elevation or terrain. Is there anything else I should consider about the T models? Right now they donít seem like a necessity.

Between the 62s series and the Oregon, I know I lose the touch screen and the camera. I am purchasing a water/shock proof camera for an upcoming trip to Puerto Rico, so that isnít necessarily a loss. I was told the touch screen is more like a car GPS and not as smooth as a phone touch screen. Has anyone had problems with input, especially in winter? Or do you prefer the touch screen?

Iíve been told the 550 is easier to use.

Finally, I was told that the 62s has a stronger antenna. We live in a rural area and do a lot of camping/hiking, plus when weíre in Puerto Rico there are some out of the way caches. I donít know how significant the strength difference is, however.

How is battery life on either?

Also, are there any other models that you would recommend I consider?

Finally, the cheapest place Iíve found the 550 seems to be Walmart.com. They seem to be relatively close in price when the 550 seems more high tech. What am I paying for with the 62s then?

Any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kmhiker
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well here go's: I purchased the new 62s, and put it thru it's paces. 1: the antenna is (in my mind) the same as the 60csx. I went to 3 caches using the two and both were the same.
2: The 62s has paperless caching,BUT! It has a place to post notes on the cache. So let's say you are going to do ten caches, and want to post a note as to which was which and maybe something about the cache. Well you can't recall the note!!! I was on the phone with Garmin for 45 min and the tech couldn't do it either. SIGH. So I took it back. I'll stick with my 60csx and the ipad touch.

Ashen15
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the info.! Are there any other significant differences between the 60, 62, etc. models?

Ashen15
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also, specs aside, like kmhiker mentioned with cache notes, how are these models when it comes to GC specific needs? That is something I'm finding it harder to get input on....downloads, cache hints, etc...

The Yinnies
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just got my 62S and so far so good. I am a Delorme user and just had to try this unit. It does show hints, logs ect. It is a great unit for caching. I also have the 24K Topo which is road routable which is nice. For me it is buttons unless something new comes out from Delorme or Garmin. The touch screen is nice, but you can change your data feilds on the screen by touching them. I was always changing them without trying. If you need anymore advice PM me.
Thanks

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Can't imagine why you'd need TOPO in Wisconsin...

The 550 is a great unit and the tipping point for me with it was the paperless caching (which it and the new 62 series both have) and the camera.

I always have my GPS with me...the camera not so much. I can't count how many times I have been out on the trail and wished I had a camera. Now days everyone has a camera on their phone so that's really not so important as features go. But without a camera-equipped cell phone you may want to go with the 550....or remember to drag a camera with you. I find lugging all kinds of extra equipment with me on trail to be a major headache.

As far as sensitivity of touch on the 550, the latest update actually improved the touch response...it is not quite as sensitive as an Ipod but on the trail you wouldn't want that anyway. I think it is now set just right. I haven't had any problems in winter.

As I now have a smartphone with internet, a camera and geocaching apps, I'm not sure which unit I'd get so I don't envy your position. If I didn't have the smartphone it would be a simple 550 choice for me. (I tried C:GEO and it got me close to the cache but wasn't as accurate as my GPS; for new cachers getting close will present some problems but for most veteran cachers close is good enough.)

As far as battery life goes, it all depends on the batteries you use. That is way too subjective. I use rechargeables and as the batteries age they hold less and less power so I find myself changing them out more often. A new set of store bought alkalines should last you all day long (always bring spares).

Check back in when you make your decision, I'd like to hear some feedback on your unit of choice.

Ashen15
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
As I now have a smartphone with internet, a camera and geocaching apps, I'm not sure which unit I'd get so I don't envy your position.

Yes! It seems like its coming down to one or two "this or that"s and I've only been caching for about 10 months with less than 100 caches found, so it is hard to decide from a caching standpoint. I do love c:geo and have had great luck with it but my phone dies quickly and it is obviously not waterproof. I think without my phone or the camera I have my eye on I'd go with the 550 but since I have those.... I've also had several people suggest the 450 if I decide on the touch screen without a camera. I should be able to get to the Richfield Cabela's on the 20th (I hope my mom can keep my niece mesmerized by the fish tank long enough to play with the units).

Thank you everyone for your input!! I hope to have something no later than the first week in March, which should give me time to test it out in (hopefully!) warmer weather.

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One thing you didn't mention was durability. The 62C and it's marine brother, the 78S, are pretty much bulletproof. My 76 has been dropped off a cliff several times (I needed my GPS hand to prevent ME from falling over), dropped in Lake Michigan, slid down a sledding hill with the back off, and even used by my wife to break her fall on a concrete sidewalk (she tripped over a chalk line). Still works great, although the paint is pretty scratched up. The Oregon model is not quite as rugged, which is basically the result of having a touchscreen and less rugged components.

Ashen15
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I got the 62s today after a sporadic trip to the Hoffman Estates Cabelas in IL. I took feedback from the WGA and Groundspeak forums and played with both units. The 550 touchscreen was perfectly responsive with gloves on and the resolution is definitely better but the 62s was, in fact, much easier to navigate when screen toggling (though not as intuitive). However, the 550 feels as durable as a cell phone and my first thought about picking it up was that I was holding a very droppable computer mouse. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it one handed while multitasking. Losing the touch screen wasn't a big deal; the camera was a small loss. Picking up the 62s felt perfect. It was both narrower and thinner. It also seems much, much more durable....signifcantly so. The screens aren't quite as intuitive but easy to figure out. I thought it would come down to screen but it came down to fit and durability.

Thanks everyone! I really appeciated all of the input. I feel it helped me make a well informed choice.

goirish75
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Team Deejay wrote:
One thing you didn't mention was durability. The 62C and it's marine brother, the 78S, are pretty much bulletproof. My 76 has been dropped off a cliff several times (I needed my GPS hand to prevent ME from falling over), dropped in Lake Michigan, slid down a sledding hill with the back off, and even used by my wife to break her fall on a concrete sidewalk (she tripped over a chalk line). Still works great, although the paint is pretty scratched up. The Oregon model is not quite as rugged, which is basically the result of having a touchscreen and less rugged components.

Durability is NOT an issue with the 550 platform. I have its golf G5 cousin and is the exact same gps and it is BULLETPROOF as well as water proof. I throw this thing on the ground over 30 times a round while golfing, and it just begs for more abuse. I also own the 550, and have accidently dropped it on rocks and into a river,into deep snowbanks, and its no worse for wear. The only thing I would say is a MUST for any touchscreen is a Zagg products touchscreen protector. It's a film that goes on over your screen, and is BULLETPROOF protection for the screen, it has a lifetime warranty. This stuff is used by the military. It's awesome. And the sensitivity of your touchscreen isn't effected. I have it on all my ipods, Gpsrs, and our smartphones. I can't speak to the 62 series, but the Oregon platform is a pretty rugged unit. So far so good anyway.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I use Zagg covers. It was just my observation. For MY hand the 550 literally felt like the shape and size of a computer mouse with a smooth surface, which I drop constantly. I completely believe the 550 is rugged enough. Again in my hand, the 62s just felt more so. I have very tiny hands and it has a nice grippable surface. My husband, on the other hand, felt they were equally durable but that the 550 would be more likely to be dropped. Someone asked me to check back in when I decided and that was my decision after 30 minutes in the store. It involved several this or that decisions, and either way I "lost" something.

View next topic
View previous topic