49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

When you're packing for the campout, don't forget to include your fishing gear so that you can participate in the fishing contest. Prizes will be awarded in categories and age groups. Worms will be provided by the WGA. An adult needs to accompany any children who are fishing, but must have a valid license for casting and retrieving.

Mr. Sandlanders and Cheeto will be available lakeside for advice and will measure all of the BIG fish that you will catch.

sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

See if you can top these fish caught in the park!

Image Image

labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

not sure if my Snoopy fishing pole can handle something that big! Smile

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
goirish75
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow! Very nice fish indeed. We will be participating, but will be doing it from the shore or a fishing pier, so i don't know if we can compete with fish like that. And no freezing them until the event and sticking them on your line, lol. If I see that same fish as in the photo, I'm crying "foul", lol.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Are we limiting the derby to just one of the lakes, or are all the areas in the park fair game? no water transport here, so we will have to attack on foot or pier.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

goirish75 wrote:
Are we limiting the derby to just one of the lakes, or are all the areas in the park fair game? no water transport here, so we will have to attack on foot or pier.

No location parameters have been set. You're free to fish where you'd like in the park. I'm sure most participants will be on shore.

sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

From the campout event page:

"SATURDAY MORNING

Fishing Derby - New this year, we will be having a fishing derby for anglers of all ages. Don't forget to bring your fishing gear!

Fishing Derby Details:

All anglers 16 and older must have a valid Wisconsin Fishing License to participate.

For safety reasons, All anglers under 16 participating in the Fishing Derby must be accompanied by an adult. No Exceptions.

Age brackets:
9 and under
10 - 15
16 and up

Winners determined by length of fish. Prizes will be awarded for 1st and 2nd place in both panfish (bluegill, sunfish, perch, etc) and gamefish (bass, northern, etc) categories.

The WGA will be providing the bait (Worms) so all you need is your fishing gear."

Registration for the Fishing Derby will be from 8:00 - 9:30 a.m. on Saturday. You will be given an entry form at the time you register at the event, so if that is Friday, you can get and submit your form then. The actual fishing will take place on Hartman Lake (shore) between 10:30 - 12:00 If you catch a fish, take it it to Mr. Sandlanders or Cheeto to have it measured and a photo taken, then release it back into the lake if it is not of legal size or if you don't wish to keep the fish. Then keep on fishing if the time isn't up.

This is NOT a B.A.S.S. tournament, so don't expect big bucks for first place, but there are some nice prizes.

Committee input requested: Is the use of artificial lures allowed in the Derby for those who have them? Is the use of some sort watercraft allowed in the Derby for those who have it?

sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

-cheeto- wrote:
No location parameters have been set. You're free to fish where you'd like in the park. I'm sure most participants will be on shore.

How will the official measuring be handled if people fish on lakes other than the one near the campout base (Hartman Lake)? No "judges" will be stationed elsewhere.

goirish75
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

sandlanders wrote:
-cheeto- wrote:

How will the official measuring be handled if people fish on lakes other than the one near the campout base (Hartman Lake)? No "judges" will be stationed elsewhere.

Ah yes, good point sir.

I'm not a committee member or a pro fisherman, but i think if people have boats and can abide by the boundaries set forth above, it should be okay for them to paddle out and try their luck.

On a similar note, I think any type of bait should be allowed as well, artificial or otherwise. But thats just my 2 cents.

WGA Member

Location: Oshkosh...drumming our way thru 1 cache at a time...

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

goirish75 wrote:
sandlanders wrote:
-cheeto- wrote:

Ah yes, good point sir.

I'm not a committee member or a pro fisherman, but i think if people have boats and can abide by the boundaries set forth above, it should be okay for them to paddle out and try their luck.

On a similar note, I think any type of bait should be allowed as well, artificial or otherwise. But thats just my 2 cents.

I'm assuming the tourney is all in good fun anyway, so we can take each other at their word.

I'm also assuming that Mr. RT will want to bring his own bait as worms aren't the preferred choice around here, unless of course, Mr. S is sharing his bait secrets....

sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

rtrezrsnhvn wrote:
[I'm also assuming that Mr. RT will want to bring his own bait as worms aren't the preferred choice around here, unless of course, Mr. S is sharing his bait secrets....

He spits on the worms first. (not really)

Actually a purple and white plastic worm, from the canoe, on Allen Lake. In July. Twisted Evil

labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The fishing pier is at Allen Lake, I am not sure how the fishing is in Hartman or the middle lake but I would expect that all PARK Waters are okay for the derby. Not sure where Mr S and -cheeto- are planning to be stationed. My hope would be for a live release after the measurement, unless of course, the angler intends on cooking their catch.

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
rtrezrsnhvn
WGA Member

Location: Oshkosh...drumming our way thru 1 cache at a time...

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

labrat_wr wrote:
The fishing pier is at Allen Lake, I am not sure how the fishing is in Hartman or the middle lake but I would expect that all PARK Waters are okay for the derby. Not sure where Mr S and -cheeto- are planning to be stationed. My hope would be for a live release after the measurement, unless of course, the angler intends on cooking their catch.

well RT10 does know how to filet and clean his own fish, but I think I'd have to throw a fit if they caught enough fish to clean and fry....I still have BAGS of frozen fish from the catch in St. Germain last summer.

CacheARRRS
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Those images seem suspect to me, same pose, same hat, almost as if some photoshop foul play was involved...so I took the liberty of running the images through a decryption...and found some interesting results...

ImageImageImage

I'm not too sure about the first two...but the last one seems pretty obvious!

goirish75
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hahahaaaaa! I KNEW it looked suspicious. Laughing Laughing nice detective CSI work.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

View next topic
View previous topic