49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
cheezehead
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

zuma wrote:
cheezehead wrote:

And BTW, EVEN if the event was held in my back 40, I would be able to attend, becuse I have 4 different weddings to deliver flowers to that day.

Not sure why you have posted 3 times on an event that you say you cannot attend.

zuma

Please show me where I posted 3 times where I could not attend. My original post was asking about the location. I never asked why it was not in saywer county. I got a pm asking to help cuz I was a local cacher. I would gladly help with set up if it were a little bit closer EVEN thou I could not help out at the event.

And let me see if I got this right. If the day ever came, that all BOD members lived north of 64, all the WGA event then would only be held there,right? Brut I'm sure the WGA would either be renamed or dissolved before that could happen. Just becuse thee is a map that say it it in the northern region, doesn't make it so. Therfe are dozen of other maps that split up the state too.

Again, all
I asked about was the location, becuse it seems to me that the location was just picked becuse it's a State Park with a shelter and not checked out for anything else

-cheeto-
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Team Northwoods wrote:
What is the plan for getting us organized to organize the picnic?

There is a picnic committee forum area created for those members added to the committee.

zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Team Northwoods wrote:
What is the plan for getting us organized to organize the picnic?

You will be added to the Picnic Committee (if not already so) and all the discussion will take place in that private forum as how best to proceed.

z

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 
sweetlife
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

State parks are mainly picked because of the other amenities at the park also.

i.e. Adequate camping, group sites, ample parking at shelter areas.

Amacon and Pattison are both great parks, and were highly considered, but even for me, its 3 hours one way to Brunett, and over 5 hours to Pattison and Amacon. (not to mention that I actually have to travel a better part of the trip in the UP of Michigan)

And also Not to be snarky, there is only a 8.2 mile difference from Hayward to Superior 71.6 miles and Hayward to Cornell 79.8 And Chris, I am on your side here, I would love to see a event in the great north, but we just don't have the membership to step forward to help set it up. But in your terms if Superior is your back yard, Cornell would be also. With the Medical Problems that Vals Mom has been going thru, I dont even like being 3 hours away much less 5 hours away.

I know you were a big supporter to get me on the BOD, but with out a big step up from UNGA, I just do not see a Main WGA event up that far.

Looking for a pathtag idea check out Freak Designs 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cheezehead
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

sweetlife wrote:
State parks are mainly picked because of the other amenities at the park also.

i.e. Adequate camping, group sites, ample parking at shelter areas.

Amacon and Pattison are both great parks, and were highly considered, but even for me, its 3 hours one way to Brunett, and over 5 hours to Pattison and Amacon. (not to mention that I actually have to travel a better part of the trip in the UP of Michigan)

And also Not to be snarky, there is only a 8.2 mile difference from Hayward to Superior 71.6 miles and Hayward to Cornell 79.8 And Chris, I am on your side here, I would love to see a event in the great north, but we just don't have the membership to step forward to help set it up. But in your terms if Superior is your back yard, Cornell would be also. With the Medical Problems that Vals Mom has been going thru, I dont even like being 3 hours away much less 5 hours away.

I know you were a big supporter to get me on the BOD, but with out a big step up from UNGA, I just do not see a Main WGA event up that far.

#1 Ok, you got me on the distance. Did not realize that.
#2 The Un-offical UNGA chapter has never been asked to help with an event.
#3 I have never asked for event to be held in my backyard or in Sawyer County.
#4 Membership. Every year, every BOD candidate is ask how to get the whole state involved but nothing ever done. HOw do you get members to know about the WGA, if they have never heard about it? I don't want an event up north for ME. I want it for those who live in Superior, Ashland,Bayfield, Hurley and St. Croix Falls and Hudson.
How far is West Bend from Eau Claire and Iron Mounatin?
No where in the by-laws does it state that ALL board members have to attend an event.
All I have been asking is for one event, mainly the picnic to be held in the Northwestern part of the state. I know there are bodies here that would help. If it's a total flop and can't be done, I can live with that, but I would best to make it work. I think the BOD would be very surpised to see just how many people turn out to help, if there was a picnic held at any of the Northern Campgrounds. You don't think you draw people from Duluth? Make it a co-State event with the MnGCA. A picnic at Interstate park wouldn't draw people from the Twin Cities area. Make the plans for the event a year out. That way people can plan a long weekend or something or vacation.

Northwestern Wisconsin should not be treated like the redhead step child
It's been very frustasting to see it happen year after year and you hear people say, we'll change it, or we'll do this and it never happens. In my opinion, if you want more northern members, the wga needs to do something Up North to make it happen.
So there I have gotten it off my chest, take for what it's worth.

labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I want it for those who live in Superior, Ashland,Bayfield, Hurley and St. Croix Falls and Hudson.

Chris, I guess that what I would like to hear is some other voices from these areas. I understand where you are coming from but as one voice, it is difficult to guage commitment from the masses. I know you have had several successful events up north as well as community events like the hot air balloon gathering. It seems obvious to me that the picnic would be the only WGA major event that could head way up north as I don't see too many folks that would want to do the May Campout in the chilly Northern Spring. Wisconsin's climate is just like that. I personally am looking forward to Brunet as I have never been that far NW (all in one's perspective) just as I have never been to the SW corner of the state either (or the NE ).

The population centers, for good or for bad, can drive the decisions as to where we look to hold the events. The decisions by the BOD to Quad the state and move the events annually was meant to allow cachers from those regions to attend without a full days travel. I don't believe that there is anything written in stone that these events must be held at a State Park and that can certainly be revisited by the BOD at the February Annual meeting.

While it is not in the bylaws that ALL BOD members have to attend an event, but we are encouraged to. I think that was one of the questions put out in the candidate forums.
And without advance commitment from members to work on the committees, Personally, I am a bit gunshy of risking a "flop" at one of the WGA major events. Low turnout and a miserable time at a CITO can be handled as long as the job gets done. Low turnout and a miserable time at a Picnic sours the idea of returning the next year. IMHO

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
cheezehead
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Pete, I understand the worries. But how does one know if there will be a samll turn out? A get together in December(in the middle of a snowstorm no less) in Centuria had over 50 people show up. Yes, I am only one voice, but how do one recruit more voices from the area? That the real issue here. How does the WGA recruit more boddies from the Northwest part of the state. A picnic seems like a logical answer.

cheezehead
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="labrat_wr"]
Quote:
And without advance commitment from members to work on the committees, Personally, I am a bit gunshy of risking a "flop" at one of the WGA major events. Low turnout and a miserable time at a CITO can be handled as long as the job gets done. Low turnout and a miserable time at a Picnic sours the idea of returning the next year. IMHO

That's what you say now that in 2012, The WGA would like to plan an event up north, "IF " there is a solid number of people to commit to put on on. It should not be up to the BOD to run the picnic. You should be able to enjoy one too. Let the locals do the heavy lifting. If the BOD were to say at the Annual Meeting that "Hey, we want to have a picnic at Copper Falls State park in September, if we can get enough people to help." That would give plenty of time for people to make their summer plans and put it on the calander.

So, what it really come down to, Is thast I would need to rally the troops, get them to commit and then send a proposal to the WGA saying, this is what we got, this is what we can do and dispite our better judgement, we really want to invite all you crazy city slickers to the northwoods, wink right? Kinda like the Superbowl or Olympics I guess.

JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

HCH... I personally know that the best cache hides in the state are north of Hwy. 64., hands down. I know there are guardrails up there, too, and they don't contain cache containers!

The right Event will draw the right numbers of attendees, whether it's a picnic, wienie roast, or winter bowling. Time, work restraints, and gas prices are deterents for alot of cachers now. I used to work in northern Wisconsin 6 times /year. My work territory has changed, and I miss the work/ cache excursions up there. I'd jump at the chance to head that way again, but not just for caching, or just for an Event.

Maybe you can relate to this. Of the 17 non-CITO Events that you have attended, most were north of Hwy. 64. The average attendance was about 35-40 cachers (average of 16 attended logs). That's a good turnout for the population base.
And the population base is why I only worked up north 6 times /year. There are thousands of acres to place caches on, and a low number of cachers to seek them. If I could move up there to geocache, I would!

Enough rambling. My question to you is:

Why haven't you attended more Events south of Hwy. 64? It's not meant to be a threatening question; just informational. If the reasons you can't attend central or southern Events can be addressed by the "powers that be", it will be easier to plan a WGA Event in NW Wisconsin. Other cachers may have the same reasons as you!

If I still had that work territory, I would plan my work trips to coincide with an Event up there. I NEVER worked in Superior without scheduling the short drive south to Big Manitou Falls (or crossing the bridge to Duluth for cheaper gas!). Or worked Ashland without stopping at the NGLVC. I truly wish more cachers could experience NW Wisconsin. And I'm sure you will be having a WGA Event in your neighborhood sometime soon.

cheezehead
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, 8 out of the 17 event were my events.
I work weekends. The weekends I don't work, I'm delivering wedding flowers. I have attended 2 WGA picnics.
I have a non-Geocaching wife who won't let me have money to go geocaching. I have either have had health issues (open heart sugery 3x) or was unemployed. Almost 2.5 years between the two.
There is now way to tell what the outcome would be till you have it.

Aye-Ch
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Its been a few years since I last looked at the WGA website. The upcoming event prompted my visit this time. I'm actually more stressed after reading these posts than when I came home from work. However one describes "snarky", to me its just plain unpleasant conversation. In any case, I will re-stock my cache thats in the area, and hope y'all have fun.

LostBoys5
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We're not all snarky and we would love to have you join us Aye-Ch![/quote]

View next topic
View previous topic