49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
goirish75
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe for the group photo, some local business can donate the use of a scissor lift to get the photographers more elevated and shoot down on us, that way everyone can be seen in the photo. The donating business can get some free advertising out of it too.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lostby7 wrote:
goirish75 wrote:
BIG Kudos to the color maps of the cache locations given out at the event though. That was a very helpful simple item.

I wish I would have gotten one...I never saw one.

Would be a nice touch if this was put in the bags.

Ashen15
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

-cheeto- wrote:
Lostby7 wrote:
goirish75 wrote:
BIG Kudos to the color maps of the cache locations given out at the event though. That was a very helpful simple item.

I wish I would have gotten one...I never saw one.

Would be a nice touch if this was put in the bags.

Last year I happened to see it and asked for one. This year I assumed they weren't available until we saw one on the info. board later in the day.

I think it would have helped us plan a route using less gas since we're familiar with the area.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe the kids could be in one photo and the adults in another?

I don't entirely know how this would work but maybe the tables under the pavilion could be marked with cards with the names of WI counties on them or regions for people who don't know very many cachers (I realize each table would have several cards). That way we could meet people in our area? They could be removed right around the turn in time.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Some suggest that to in prove you were their use a paper punch that would be great just make sure the punch head is different for each cache. Just make sure it fits in the container for that cache. I like the idea of publishing the list early . This gives one time to plan how best to proceed . just make sure the reviews of location is done before hand . Keep also in mind that some are basic members only make it easy for those catchers to get cache lists perhaps have the map caches and record sheet ready before hand in a down load. Then have a sign in by phone. or coming to a central sign in location. Use a conformation number that needs to be posted on the record sheet. have the understanding that no one starts before a certain time say 9:00 am or so. This would also eliminate many waiting to sign stamp . also it would not be so hard on the environment. Some like to get a early start. Have a stand down period so that the hiders can go out and check the condition of the hides so that the hides are in the best of shape.

Ashen15
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I also wouldn't mind an earlier Friday start time. I realize that people have to drive in and set up, but its so rare for my husband to have off or have vacation time approved. As college students we also can't afford to board our dogs (can West Bend make their parks dog friendly for a weekend? Confused ) so we drove home to Janesville Friday evening and back again Saturday morning. We would have appreciated a few more hours Friday morning.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sweetlife wrote:
FOOD AT THE VENUE!!!

I understand that the chamber wants us to visit the area restaurants that are part of the chamber, but there needs to be something of nutritional value available at the park.

MWGB has food vendors similar to what you would find at a county fair come directly to the venue, when we were done caching, if we knew there was nothing to eat at the park, we would have stopped and grabbed something before we headed back.

I agree, but unfortunately, this will never happen. We've tried. The Chamber director is very firm that he wants people to spend money in the community. I guess I'll just have to make it clear on the cache page that only "snacks" are available at the park. Sorry.

thepharmgirl
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Great suggestions, everyone. Keep them coming!

I'll keep updating the committee on all of the ideas and comments.

Team_Sandman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ashen15 wrote:
As college students we also can't afford to board our dogs (can West Bend make their parks dog friendly for a weekend? Confused ) so we drove home to Janesville Friday evening and back again Saturday morning. We would have appreciated a few more hours Friday morning.

I know where your coming from. The week before my wife's mom who ussually watches the dog backed out at the last min and we had the hotel booked and everything. We had to find a hotel that accepted dog which yes we did find the super 8 in Hartford, but during the event we had our great friend Kmhiker house to keep the dog at which I know not everyone has friends in WB. But Yeah I would have loved to bring Arius to the park. I did see one guy Friday with a dog in the ark but that was it. But I do have to say that WB's dog park is way better than any other DP ive ever been to.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thepharmgirl wrote:
sweetlife wrote:
FOOD AT THE VENUE!!!

I understand that the chamber wants us to visit the area restaurants that are part of the chamber, but there needs to be something of nutritional value available at the park.

MWGB has food vendors similar to what you would find at a county fair come directly to the venue, when we were done caching, if we knew there was nothing to eat at the park, we would have stopped and grabbed something before we headed back.

I agree, but unfortunately, this will never happen. We've tried. The Chamber director is very firm that he wants people to spend money in the community. I guess I'll just have to make it clear on the cache page that only "snacks" are available at the park. Sorry.

It would be neat if you can reach out to some Boy Scout Troops in selling "snacks" as a fundraiser.

AuntieNae
WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The food request is coming from people who are working at the event .. had to juggle volunteers to cover so we could leave to eat ..

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AuntieNae wrote:
The food request is coming from people who are working at the event .. had to juggle volunteers to cover so we could leave to eat ..

Ah, noted. Yes, I think something can probably be arranged for the volunteers. I'll bring that up.

Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AuntieNae wrote:

I have been involved with events where "runners" would go out for those who could not get away. If that interests you it might be able to be arranged.

Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anne,
I walked in on a conversation where you were asking for "things to do" ideas during slow times at the event. I liked some of the ideas I heard, and I hope you can make them work.
I don't have any specific suggestions, other than to try to make some of the activities "spectator friendly". Get the crowd involved as much as possible. Even a three leged race can be a spectator sport if it's sold right...

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mister Greenthumb wrote:
AuntieNae wrote:

I have been involved with events where "runners" would go out for those who could not get away. If that interests you it might be able to be arranged.

I had not thought of this. I would be happy to make a food run for volunteers. I will try to remember to ask next year, or someone can just ask me then.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

View next topic
View previous topic