49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
STEMmom
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Slightly off topic. I need new hiking boots because my current ones do not keep my feet dry. I do like them because they are comfortable. I like to be able to wear them in summer and winter when there is not too much snow. I usually have to purchase men's size because my feet are too big for the women's sizes. Any recommendations or what I should look for??

labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

do they not keep your feet dry because of holes or because the leather is not waterproofed?

a couple of liberal rubdowns with mink oil should help waterproof them. (unless they are made of a pourous material)

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
guidetoo
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I recommend gortex boots they will keep your feet dry at all times even when the early am dew makes the grass wet. and they wear like iron. make sure they have the vi-brand soles for traction when needed. If you get leather ones along with mink oil I would rub them down with Vaseline it will make them soft. and well broke in .plus water proof them I would also go late in the day to get your new boots the reason is your feet are bigger during that time of the day. and it allows for your feet getting bigger and smaller. hope this helps. As far as sizing look around their are size charts that compare men"s to women or women"s to men

huffinpuffin2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You might want to consider something like the following: Cabella's Sky Hikers

Might be a bit heavy, but the sale price is reasonable for this sort of shoe. Not too tall, and not too short. One cent shipping, or drive on up US41 to poke around their Bargain Cave for some potential deals.

Whatever, go for Goretex or equivalent. Smile

Last edited by huffinpuffin2 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total 
CacheNoTrace
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I prefer Merrill for hiking shoes and boots. They are the most comfortable for my feet. When breaking in my boats and shoes and when ever I do alot of hiking, I will always rub any spots prone to blisters with vitamin E lotion. Been doing that for 2 years and have never had any more blisters since I started doing that.

AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've had both Merrill and Vasque hiking boots. They both were gore-tex and what I liked about both of them - no need to "break" them in. They were comfortable right out of the box. (Good fitting shoes shouldn't require 'breaking' in IMO). They also dried fast and didn't stink even after wearing them all day. (Can't say the same with other brands).

The best bet is to know what you want in a pair of hikers (water proof or water resisitant), how high do you want the boot to be (i.e. ankle support), what type of sole do you want (rugged off trail or more urban), where do you intend to use the boot the most (more urban or off trail), how heavy do you want them, what kind of material (all leather or suede or mesh or a mix)...answering these questions might get you on a good start to finding a pair of hikers you'll be happy with.

I agree with Guidetoo - go try shoes on at night when your feet are a bit more swollen. You'll get a better fit. Be sure to wear (or bring) the socks you're most apt to wear with your hikers for best fit as well.

Good luck!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've got a pair of Vasque's and love them. They dry fast and as AstroD stated they don't stink which is good for me because I use them often.

WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I purchased a pair of Red Wing Irish Setters and love them, have wore them all winter for work and caching have stayed dry all winter.

Looking for a pathtag idea check out Freak Designs 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Last summer my husband and I splurged on Merrill's. They were expensive but at Rogans you can at least get them buy one, get one half off. They're such good quality, water proof, comfortable and sturdy. But yea, I'd check if they just need to be waterproofed. Your feet looked very wet this morning! Laughing

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just exactly how waterproof do you want your boots to be? I have a great pair of Vasque hiking boots that I got at REI. They're Gor-Tex lined and "waterproof." The reason I put quotation marks on the word "waterproof" is because they're "mostly" waterproof. I can walk through mud and puddles and they'll still keep my feet dry all day. They're breatheable and feel comfortable in summer AND winter. But you should apply a waterproofing conditioner from time to time (annually?) to keep waterproof hiking boots fairly waterproof. However, they're not totally, 100% waterproof in every situation. Any Gortex-lined boot that is breatheable and laces up might actually allow your feet to get a bit wet if you're wading through 4" standing water in a marsh or walking through a stream. That's why I have two different pairs. The other pair is a cheaper 19" high rubber boot that goes almost up to my knees, and is truly 100% waterproof. With the hiking and caching we do, we need to use them a lot. Just this past week we walked through a marsh with 4" deep water and wore our rubber boots, no issues. And a few days before that we found a cache under a bridge that required us to stand in a stream that was about 10" deep.So both types are nice.

You can pick up cheap rubber boots for as little as $15, but they're only good (in my opinion) for short hikes and not that comfortable. The lined decent rubbery boots 100% waterproof knee-high boots will run $75-$150, but again I'd only use those for marshy-type conditions where I know I'll be wading through water. The best boots I can recommend are the type that almost everyone here described: Gor-Tex lined hiking boots that are comfortable in both hot and cold conditions. Just don't expect them to stay watertight while you're standing still in a creek or submerged in a swamp. But do expect them to keep your feet comfortable and dry in snow, puddles, mud, and rain.

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

REI has a great tutorial on how to choose hiking boots at http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/hiking+boots.html

Here's one of the things that they mention:

Waterproof linings: Boots billed as “waterproof” feature uppers constructed with waterproof/breathable membranes (such as Gore-Tex or eVent). They work well to keep feet dry in wet conditions. Downside: The reduced breathability created by a membrane (compared to the ventilating mesh used on some nonwaterproof shoes) may cause feet to feel warm on dry summer days. Tip: The leather on these boots should be still treated with a waterproofing product like Nikwax to keep dust and dirt from impacting the waterproof linings.

beezers958
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Gee Hacks, I got that cache without standing in any water! Then again, my butt got dirty from the contortions I had to go through...

My UGGs keep me dry through most conditions, but I have a pair of rubber boots for marshy situations. The times I fall into a stream because I can't see it in the waist-high grass are a whole other story!

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

beezers958 wrote:
Gee Hacks, I got that cache without standing in any water! Then again, my butt got dirty from the contortions I had to go through...
You got lucky! Somebody moved it farther out towards the center of the bridge. The only way to retrieve it was to wade out into the water. We're not complaining though - that's what we liked about it, and gave it a favorite point! Very Happy

spd2662
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have two pairs of Timberland boots and they're the best I've ever bought. They felt comfortable from the first day I bought them which I have never experienced with any other boot in my life. My first pair have been worn almost daily and they're still in great shape on the uppers....too bad the bottoms are worn almost flat. I just can't give them up.

Ashen15
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a poor college student and haven't had an expensive pair of boots since we lived in CO in '04. But I play airsoft every weekend, which includes mud, rain, and tromping through creeks and the tan combat style work boots I bought for $35 at Target have been tanks for about 2 years with a little bit of cleaning and protective spray. I have a bad left ankle and I haven't had any problems. I have small feet and was able to find my size but every store we've been to has had plenty of all sizes.

View next topic
View previous topic