49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
tom k.
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AS ADVERTISED!! IF YOU DONíT WANT TO DO THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE LAME CACHES-----THEN JUST DONíT FIND THEM! SHOW US YOUR CREATIVITY AND HIDE MORE THAN 3.

Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tom k. wrote:
AS ADVERTISED!! IF YOU DONíT WANT TO DO THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE LAME CACHES-----THEN JUST DONíT FIND THEM! SHOW US YOUR CREATIVITY AND HIDE MORE THAN 3.

Tough crowd down there in the real "PnG Capitol of Wisconsin". Can't wait to get down there and grab all of those lame caches.

TinkerToys
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Last year was our 1st year at West Bend and we loved the variety and creativity of the hides in the area. The hiders deserve a huge pat on the back for their efforts. Sometimes when you get that kind of saturation though, you have no choice but to hide micro P&G's. I didn't run across any that were in a dangerous location. We ran across one that had a tore baggie and the log was destroyed, but we replaced them since we had extras. No matter what, we look forward to visiting West Bend this year and getting our cache on, micros or not. Very Happy

kungfuhippie
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

darkins44 wrote:
I love almost all caches (except for puzzles I can't solve) including P&Gs. P&Gs seem worthless in spring when the weather is perfect, the bugs are minimal and the brush isn't as thick. Come July or August, P&Gs can be the way to go, 30 seconds out of the A/C at a time, not having to wear thick pants in a marsh when its 95F out, etc. I also like to get many of these by bike, even if you can't legally park a car it's usually reasonably safe by bicycle. If you are going to be the geocaching capital of the world, you've got to have both quanity and quality, cater to every cacher out there. Sometimes you just want that special cache and spend a day going for it, sometimes you want to knock a bunch out for stats. There are some power runs out there that'll give West Bend a run at that P&G title.

Agree wholeheartedly, on NYE met up with a group of cachers and spent a good chunk of the day hiking through Jackson Marsh to do GC7DA and afterwards grabbed about 10-15 of these PnGs on my way back home to Madison. Were they the equal of the epic trek through the marsh with friends...no, but they had their place as I was tired and some easy caches were just the ticket. No better or worse than some of the WSQ placements I've seen. Twisted Evil Shocked

This post is purely a \"hippie\" point-of-view and in no way, shape or form reflects the BOD as a whole. 
-cheeto-
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

When I was in Pennsylvania, I noticed the popular term there was cache and dash (or c&d) vs park and grab.

GrannyGoesAlong
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mister Greenthumb wrote:
tom k. wrote:

Tough crowd down there in the real "PnG Capitol of Wisconsin". Can't wait to get down there and grab all of those lame caches.

AGREE... looking forward to the series of P&Gs "down south" Smile

Northwoods Tom
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Some individuals including myself get burned out on the cache and dash hide (Been using the term for a while Cheeto, just sounded better than P&G). But we still grab them and hope they will be something better. I love them as a way to build the numbers to position myself for the great one before a milestone. They come in handy when you are traveling cross state and have little or no time. They can offer a quick find in the cold of winter or the heat of summer.

We just need to include a suggestion in your log: Found your cache, you might want to rethink the container, placement, whatever, it will likely be gone as soon as the community has their local roadside clean-up. (Or something like this)

They might change, they might not. At least I know whether or not I should stop when I travel thru.

Captain and Mate
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just my impression, but I was thinking the OP was being critical of badly placed and/or poorly maintained PnG's, not PnG's in general.

Northwoods Tom
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Northwoods Tom wrote:
We just need to include a suggestion in your log: Found your cache, you might want to rethink the container, placement, whatever, it will likely be gone as soon as the community has their local roadside clean-up. (Or something like this)

billrwilson
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Captain and Mate wrote:
Just my impression, but I was thinking the OP was being critical of badly placed and/or poorly maintained PnG's, not PnG's in general.

You are correct sir.

Uncle_Fun
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rule number one. Don't diss someone elses hide no matter how bad it is.
Rule number two. See rule number one.

This is NOT how I actually feel. But is the impression that has been felt here.

It is too bad that the recent direction that geocaching is headed in this direction.

Poor hides and poorly maintained caches should not have to be tolerated. Sifting through the clutter to find quality hides and well placed, creative caches is harder than ever, given the quantity out there.

Scrappy Scout

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was going to stay quite on this one but I had to give my 2 cents. My wife and I like P&Gís for different reasons. Like if we go to the store and want to make a quick find for the day, or we are someplace new and just want to make a quick find. So we do not dislike them, there is a place for every type of cache. What I donít like is we have a cache and someone listed it on a public bookmark list as one of Milwaukeeís lamest caches, I do not agree with that if you donít like that type donít find them. Why do you have to bash someone who puts out a cache? What really gets us C.O.ís who do not maintain their caches but if a log is full, a baggie is broken, or log is damaged we will replace if we have the stuff with us. We will not replace a container if we do not find it because maybe we didnít find it or it could be missing. So we will post a DNF so the C.O. gets a notification that we could not find it. If we go back like 3-4 times and nothing has changed or it is still missing we will e-mail the owner and ask them if they got a chance to see if cache is missing or if they moved or something and want us to replace it and where does it go. If we donít hear back from them we stop looking and move on with our caching life and if we go to several of that particular hidersí cache and we find a lot of them in disrepair we stop looking for that hiders caches. But we look at it this way it is only a game/hobby/addiction not life or death it is made to be fun when it becomes more than that we will stop caching for good. But this is just my 2 cents my ramblings. I hope I didnít offend anyone but we do it for the fun and excitement. Thanks for reading.

Scout

Our Blog: http://scrappyscout.blogspot.com/ 
Braid Beards Gang
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"And geocache maintenance is not just for geocache owners. Courteous geocachers often help with cache maintenance, which helps increase the quality of the game for all. Itís easy. You simply bring additional supplies such as an extra geocache container, swag, logbooks, and pens on your geocaching adventures. That way youíre prepared to help out another geocacher by fixing a cache that needs maintenance on the spot."

I saw this on the official Geocaching blog Latitude 47
http://blog.geocaching.com/

I thought I would post this here considering the issue raised was more about maintenance then P&G's or C&D's.

WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know, that sounds like what I do anyway. Is that really anything new? If I find a cache that is low on swag I throw in some extra. I keep extra bags in my camera/caching bag. And at the LCG event they were handing out film canisters for replacement and it is now inside my caching bag as well. I've even volunteered to replace cache containers for other people if the location is convenient for me. I don't really think this statement is obligating cachers to anything, I think it is just making a suggestion for newer cachers who just haven't really learned caching etiquette yet.

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Generally, I do not mind a few PNGs to grab along the way, in addition to the caches that are the destination for the day. To me, caching should be about location, and taking you to great places, and showing you something worthwhile. So that is the type of cache that I seek out. Yet, I have no problem grabbing a couple of PNGs along the way.

I do have concerns about PNGs put in unsafe locations though. I have not been to WB for awhile, so cannot comment on any of the new ones, but the PNGs that I did last time in WB, (the Ecorangers "year" series and the "I should be . . ." series were on lightly traveled rural roads in safe spots and it was fun to see the rural area around WB, so I thought they were fine PNGs.

I try to find at least one cache each day that is worthy of being called "Cache of the Day." Since no PNG has ever been the Z COTD, I look for other caches that have high favorite points or logs that suggest that it is going to be worthwhile, and then pick the best of the caches done each day as the Z COTD.

Generally, I include this in my log for the Z COTD: "This cache is the winner of the Coveted Zuma's Cache of the Day Award. This one is a winner of the COTD because (whatever it was that I liked about)."

Last week, we found a cache in MN on a busy highway, and stopped to grab it because we were going right by. There was no safe parking, and cars were whizzing past at 65 MPH. To top it off, the coords were off, and the log was a bunch of mush.

Here is the log for that cache that I did not write, but thought about: "This cache is the winner of the Unwanted Zuma's Dreck of the Day Award. This cache won the dreck of the day award for being placed where no sane person would stop along a busy highway just for getting an electronic smiley that has no intrinsic worth, and for being poorly maintained, and for having coords that look like they were guessed at as the cache owner thru the container out the window towards a sign. Please see the bookmark list for other losers of the Z Dreck Of The Day Award."

Anyway, I did not log that. Neither did I mention it in the MN forums to see if other people agreed with me. What I did was email the cache owner with my concerns that the location did not appear safe.

So, my suggestion is that if you find a cache that you really think is unsafe to find, email the cache owner with your concerns directly.

zuma

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 

View next topic
View previous topic