49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
cheezehead
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

huffinpuffin2 wrote:
LostBoys5 wrote:
huffinpuffin2 wrote:
Do folks really lose satellite reception under a canopy, totally? Or is that just another way of saying the GPRs is bouncy like crazy, and taking you on staggered path?

We have a Garmin 60, I think it is, that always loses reception completely. We consider it a bad purchase and rarely get it out. . .

Thanks! Think that would be very frustrating, and could also be very scary. Wonder how far one could be thrown?? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Side note- I did have that problem with my 1st 60CSx. Clear blue sky and not a cloud to be seen and lose total signal. Called Garmin, the unit was just ove a year old and no warranty. They said send it down, we'll look at it, fix it or replace it with a refurbished one. Sent it to them on Monday, and a replacement in my hands by Friday. All it cost me was the shipping. Had no problems with it other than new pup thoughtbit was chew toy and chewed the antenna and the rubber off. Still works fine.

sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

cheezehead wrote:
Now Sandlanders recently got a the new Etrex 20...I think. It also does paperless. I know she has ad some issues with it, but I think it was with the setup or did not do the recent upgrade.

The new eTrex has been behaving better since you did the "laying of hands" on it, HCH. Wink I still haven't taken the time to really work on it, but I love the paperless capability.

In addition to the eTrex 20, we have used the yellow eTrex H and the eTrex Legend HCx. I don't remember ever losing the signal with any of them except when we were walking through tunnels. Getting a good initial lock depended on where we were at the time. We've been in some good woods where the signal sometimes goes wonky, but we've never lost it.

Muggle B
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't even want to talk about it, if you guys think you wander around in the woods a lot......

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Muggle B wrote:
I don't even want to talk about it, if you guys think you wander around in the woods a lot......

Some of us wonder around on purpose... Razz AND use a compass in addition to our GPS unit.
In order of importance for me:
1. Topo Map
2. Silva Compass
3. GPS Unit

Walkingadventure
WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Muggle B wrote:

LOL

The posts and opinions shared here are solely that of the individual and do not reflect the beliefs of the WGA Board of Directors. 
LostBoys5
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mister Greenthumb wrote:
We still have the Etrex Legends that we bought when we started 6 years ago. We can't afford to replace them, but have never had trouble in deeply wooded areas. We use them to get as close as we can and then hide in the bushes and wait for someone with a better unit to come and find the cache. After they leave we come out of our cover and sign the log.

That makes me laugh out loud!!

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I still have my original eTrex Legend that's now 3 years old. I can't recall ever losing the signal completely. I've done the GPSr dance at times, but I don't think that's anything out of the ordinary for anyone.

Regarding "speed" of signal lock. Most units have a prediction algorithm that is good for a few days since it was last locked to a group of satellites. I've noticed my units gets a lock very quickly on consecutive days of use, but if it sits for 4+ days, then the signal lock takes a lot longer.

Also something to note is ensuring all comparisons are made with WAAS turned on which corrects the satellite reception via radio signal here on earth based on specific predefined accurate locations. Turn this off on your GPSr and you'll notice a huge difference in accuracy.

G*Force
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to all who have contributed/responded so far. I guess I have to buy about a dozen shiny new GPS units. It'll cost me a geo-fortune. Just kidding. It's all informative and helpful.

Here's something else I learned in my conversation with the Garmin rep. I asked what is the importance of using NiMH or Lithium AA batteries when they are recommended. He said that they provide full power to the unit until the batts die - then nothing. Alkaline AA batteries, by contrast, begin losing their power from moment one, so their performance declines while in the unit until they die.

-cheeto-
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

G*Force wrote:
Thanks to all who have contributed/responded so far. I guess I have to buy about a dozen shiny new GPS units. It'll cost me a geo-fortune. Just kidding. It's all informative and helpful.

Here's something else I learned in my conversation with the Garmin rep. I asked what is the importance of using NiMH or Lithium AA batteries when they are recommended. He said that they provide full power to the unit until the batts die - then nothing. Alkaline AA batteries, by contrast, begin losing their power from moment one, so their performance declines while in the unit until they die.

I always use Lithium batteries in my Oregon. Always have. Was really sick of the alkaline and rechargeables dying all the time. May cost more but well worth the peace of mind. But I keep a spare set of alkalines for that emergency situation.

The garmin vista HCX I have could get signals in crazy places (inside the town hall building in west bend for instance). To be honest, it was much better at locating and taking coordinates than the Oregon. But I love the features of the Oregon and really don't care if I wander from time to time. As for deep woods cover, I've always wandered and tend to agree with the puffins..

srvive
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I started years ago with a Loran unit, bigger than most walky talkies, had a couple very early Magellans, when there wasn't as many sats. that they search for like now. Had 3 Vista's heavy cover didn't seem as big a problem as weather cover at times. I'm also on my 3rd 60 unit which is now a 60CSX, all the other Vista's & 60's had trouble with vibration and bouncing while mounted on the ATV's. The 60's have only lost the signal once or twice while in heavy cover and rather hilly terrain, but only for a very short amount of time, a couple of minutes or less. I have a Colorado 400t that I only used twice and it was in heavy cover with no heavy cover issues. I just purchased a Montana 600 and have been doing some seriuos scouting and geocaching with heavy swampy cover areas and no signal problems yet. I still use the 60CSX with Montana 600, but my main back up is Silva compass and printed out ExpertGPS topo's.

View next topic
View previous topic