49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

labrat_wr wrote:
Hmm, if you allow virtual logging on a travel bug

I've noticed a lot of that lately.

Walkingadventure
WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Swiped from someone else "my beliefs about the incorrectness of your beliefs are more correct than your beliefs about the incorrectness of my beliefs"

The posts and opinions shared here are solely that of the individual and do not reflect the beliefs of the WGA Board of Directors. 
zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CodeJunkie wrote:
I don't do armchair logging for EC's or Virts, but I do lots of online research ahead of time (i.e. thinking of LDove's comments)

When we went to South Dakota this summer I did a number of EC's / Virts but tried to research them ahead of time. My reasons were:
1) Educate me and my family about why we're actually visiting the spot
2) Are there any "cool" things to check out while there or in the nearby vicinity
3) Reduce the time required to try and chase the answers down while at GZ so we can just experience GZ
4) Determine potential parking spots, approach, trails, etc.

I could have easily armchair logged most of the one we did, but the "smiley" isn't why I cache. For anyone that's been to the Black Hills, online photos just don't do the landscape justice. Being there in person and experiencing it in full 3D is just amazing. In fact one of the EC's I researched led us to hiking to the top of Bear Butte as a family which was an awesome experience. The hike wasn't required, but after we researched the history everyone wanted to make the climb. This led to a single smiley for 4+ hours of hiking, but is an experience my kids still talk about on a regular basis.

Sorry GR - I didn't really answer the question you asked, but ...

Getting off topic for sure, but I just wanted to comment that I had much the same experience. We went to Yellowstone in June, and prior to going I had read most of the EC cache pages, and got a feel for what we find we got there. I found it was much more informational than researching the park in other ways, though I did research the park in other ways as well. And like CJ, nearly all of those ECs in Yellowstone could be armchaired logged, if all you have to do is answer the questions, because there are so many resources to find the answers. But yet, going in person, and seeing it real time in 3D with real weather and real people makes all the difference.

Anyway, way off topic, but if people are planning a trip anywhere, one of the best ways to prepare for it is to read the EC pages ahead of time.

z

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 
Todd300

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just don't understand EC's and virtuals. I would rather have a physical cache in hand with a log to sign. But that is just me. To each his own.

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

labrat_wr wrote:
Hmm, if you allow virtual logging on a travel bug, you risk having it locked, not so with a cache apparently.

Actually, you very much risk having your earthcache/virtual/webcam being archived if you don't check the logs. Eventually someone will complain about it and then we start looking at all the caches logged by the armchair logger. This is enforced much more often than the rule against virtual travel bug logging. Owning a virtual is a lot more complicated than a normal listing.

f1rebirds
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Five states in 12 hrs!

http://coord.info/GC3DX78

Maybe we should conduct an investigation? Shocked

Feelin the urge to go on another cache run! Twisted Evil

isjustus4
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

f1rebirds wrote:
Five states in 12 hrs!

http://coord.info/GC3DX78

Maybe we should conduct an investigation? Shocked

Feelin the urge to go on another cache run! Twisted Evil

Hey, I remember that! I can maybe help with the investigation, I have pictures, and an extra 1000 miles on my wife's hybrid, along with the Illinois speeding ticket could help disprove any shenanigans.......

I'm always up for another cache run. When ya wanna go? Twisted Evil

But, I don't think that that is the code that Gotcha is talking in. Maybe he can come straight out an say what's on his mind without the riddles.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

f1rebirds wrote:
Five states in 12 hrs!

I remember watching this as it unfolded. Two teams gunning for the FTF and it was fun to see. That is one heck of an accomplishment.

Run N Search
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It is simple. those who want to geocache, do just that, and log their fnds. They can honestly say that their totals are true and correct, saving the occasional brain lapse which causes an incorect log. Which they usually correct once the error is found.

Those who want to run up their numbers by logging finds that they never visited do just that.

Each individual needs to asses what is important to them and act accordingly.

Sorry but allowing for a disablility is not part of the game. If I am unable to go fishing, I don't sit at my computer and log that I caught a fish. No one would believe that I caught a fish.

Geocaching is a physically active sport/hobby. If you can't do it (or go fishing) why say that you did? But, if it makes you fell better, go or it.

I for one will go out and find the physical container (or virtual) until I am unable to do so. If others want to do it differently, then who am I to dictate that they should do it my way?

In other words, cheaters will cheat and others will run an honest game. And since this is supposed to be fun and entertainment, don't get your knickers in a bunch when the cheaters cheat, just ignore them and do your best and come away with a clean conscience.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I know how it was done. A transporter sent them there. Or maybe a teleporter No wait a TARDIS so they didn't cache on the same day to them but to us they did.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

isjustus4 wrote:
But, I don't think that that is the code that Gotcha is talking in. Maybe he can come straight out an say what's on his mind without the riddles.

I'm gonna assume this is meant for me...

There are no riddles or code and my question is simple as stated in my first post.

For those of you who log caches online without personally finding the physical container, what's the appeal? A few theories have been put forward but no answers from those who do armchair logging or get signed in absentia. Why do you enjoy it?

Just curious, that's all.

f1rebirds
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

gotta run wrote:
isjustus4 wrote:

There are no riddles or code and my question is simple as stated in my first post.

For those of you who log caches online without personally finding the physical container, what's the appeal? A few theories have been put forward but no answers from those who do armchair logging or get signed in absentia. Why do you enjoy it?

And you actually thing that somebody that does this would actually read this forum and give you a logical answer …. That’s grasping at reality.

R&S ... Some people live to have there knickers in a bunch, I think they like it that way.

Hardinfam
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

How about when I cacher looks for caches without a pen or pencil? I had a cacher supposedly find a cache and he said he took a picture of it as proof. The picture was of his buddy holding a bag with a rock and paper in it. The cache was actually a nano. Or that same cacher can't find a container says he finds only part of it and logs it as found. The CO puts a new one out and a few cachers find the new one. Then my daughter and I looki for it we find the old one, the new one and the part of the one.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

gotta run wrote:
isjustus4 wrote:

Care to point out where I have ever logged a cache without being there? You did say "you", and I'll take that as me...

When it comes to puzzles, there is a team effort(if your rants are directed at me, or people I cache with. Whether by note,(see Triumvirate), or riddle posts here on the forums. You for one should know how hard we worked on Enigma. Just because there was only one of us emailing you, doesn't mean there weren't multiple people working on it. Yet, you seem to assume that the answers are just being passed around once one has solved it. Honestly, I don't care whether I've fully solved a puzzle to log it, as long as I've been at the container. I don't have the time to sit around and try to figure them all out. Why? Because I have a life..... And when it comes down to it, I'd rather be out finding caches than laying around the house getting fat. Add to that, that if I'm caching with my family, that I will let my daughter log said cache, whether it's a 1/1 or 5/5 as long as she's been there. Only requirement I have is that she writes the online log. I just check it for spoilers before it's sent. Her name is on more caches than she's logged because of this.

Then, in a childish way, you post notes bagging on misspellings in logs on caches after found logs, or how many miles, or counties someone has traveled to find caches. I guess that's the nice thing about a hybrid, and a group outing, to split the costs. But, why do you care? You obviously do, as noted by notes, and forum threads, posts, etc.

isjustus4
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, wait. I did log a cache without being there. http://coord.info/GC2HPT6 But, the cache was designed that way. Should I delete my log?

View next topic
View previous topic