49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Geocachers are, for the most part, adventurous and goal-minded. Are we wise when we choose not to do caches that do not agree with our levels of physical ability and risk-tolerance, or are we wimpy underachievers?

(This comes up a lot in winter when we avoid steep icy trails and walking on hard water very far from shore.)

WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

I know I've had to back away a few times and return other times or just chalk it up to not being worth it.ed

Everyone needs to have an internal "Danger Meter" that they read to know when the risks are outweighing the benefits.

Part of the excitement is also about seeing how close to the "edge" we can get. For those special fun caches I take a buddy along or maintain 3 points of contact.

The posts and opinions shared here are solely that of the individual and do not reflect the beliefs of the WGA Board of Directors. 
bartrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bartrod

Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Looking back, the only caches that I've had to back away from involve climbing. It's not a matter of physical ability, but rather my sense of mortality that seems to go into overdrive when I don't have solid footing and something to hang on to.
This is a newly aquired trait. It sux when I can't do something that I know I can do...

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There are caches we will not do because we do not agree with their placement. We don't feel compelled to clean the map.

kungfuhippie
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not so worried about my own life and limbs, but the lil hippies, which puts my 'danger sense' on a finer edge. On the plus side, I feel it will help them understand and deal with potentially dangerous situations later. Really if it seems suspect to me, then I attempt it when the lil hippies are at home with mom! Very Happy

This post is purely a \"hippie\" point-of-view and in no way, shape or form reflects the BOD as a whole. 
JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The nice thing about "just starting out" in the first year of geocaching is "learning your limits"! Each hide and the nearby terrain bring a new challenge.
Unfortunately, with each passing year, the agility may decrease, depending on what age you were when you started the hunt.

After 5 years, I have no problem passing on high * caches.

Those 2 scuba cache hides in Redgranite? No problem passing them up! wink

Todd300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I used to be able to do T4 caches. Climbing up a mountain such as Lookout Above near Mountain or other steep terrain.

No longer can I do that with my creaky knees despite still only 46 years of age.

I limit myself to no more difficult than a T3. Evil monkey caches are out of the question too even if labeled less than a T3 as some are.

WStemple
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have always been very aware of my limits, both physical and mental. Yes, I believe the latter can come into play on higher terrain caches. You need to know the best way to approach them. At the ripe old age of 58, I am very happy that I can still tackle most of the caches that I have come across. It is also refreshing that I can keep up with the younger cachers on outings, although the oldest little hippie could give me a run for my money when he gets a little older.

Most of the caches that may require special equipment are not for me. Not going to take up scuba at this point in life. If there is a chance of danger, then I make sure that I have someone that knows how to dial 911. Wimpy??? No, just smart.

Just like a police officer...Make sure that you always go home at night safe and sound.

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

gotta run wrote:
There are caches we will not do because we do not agree with their placement. We don't feel compelled to clean the map.

Sorry, I read the OP incorrectly...

Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

With our 6K milestone coming up soon it would be fun to do something physically challenging. I do try and be more careful now since my knees are not what they used to be. But at 65 I think I still can do some of the physically challenging hides. If it's a must do hide that seems to be beyond my present state of capability we have grandkids that can be easily bribed.

We did hike about 5 miles today and found 18 of 20. DNF's do not bother us anymore and we won't go back to try those two again.

I have to stop writing now and go take some Alleve.

sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We definitely won't do evil monkey or scuba hides, but some places that sound really neat to visit are just beyond what we are willing to try physically. Sometimes I think we have a mental block, and winter doesn't help things. We are growing weary of P&Gs and want to go for more, but the mind says slippery trails, deep snow, wet feet, burning lungs, and stuck vehicles.

Each time we have a less-than-enjoyable experience, we seem to withdraw more. Like I said... wise or wimpy?

WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You should only do what you feel up to, no sense getting yourself hurt when you don't have too.

Bushwhacking Unnecessarily Since 2006!! 
BigJim60
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sandlanders wrote:
We definitely won't do evil monkey or scuba hides, but some places that sound really neat to visit are just beyond what we are willing to try physically. Sometimes I think we have a mental block, and winter doesn't help things. We are growing weary of P&Gs and want to go for more, but the mind says slippery trails, deep snow, wet feet, burning lungs, and stuck vehicles.

Each time we have a less-than-enjoyable experience, we seem to withdraw more. Like I said... wise or wimpy?

I have had caches that I thought were going to be really challenging from the info on the cache page or the logs, then when I went for them they weren't that tough. Some of them were even among my favorites. On the other hand I've had caches that I decided weren't worth the risk and turned back after starting out for them. I've found that you can't really be sure about the the difficulty/risk if you don't at least show up and take a look at the terrain.

beezers958
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I've found that you can't really be sure about the the difficulty/risk if you don't at least show up and take a look at the terrain.

And that is part of the challenge in hiding caches. Sometimes I know full well how challenging the terrain will be and other times I am not sure.

But I do believe that the old motto "know your limits" is always wise to keep in mind. Me, I keep heading out in all kinds of weather in the hopes that I will stay active enough to keep semi-fit...

View next topic
View previous topic