49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to hear what you liked and what you would like to see for next year. I hope you all had a wonderful time. We had great weather in a lot of smiling faces. Very Happy How do you feel about a theme? Next year is the seven year anniversary and I was thinking maybe we could try to do something like Lucky sevens, but was not sure if some people would be "offended "by a gambling type theme (poker run, using dice type games etc...), your thoughts?

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I had an amazing time. The caches and the fellowship made it a very enjoyable experience.

The one thing that I thought could be improved was the official program. A lot of teams were using the descriptions of each cache in the program as their guide. It makes sense to do that, but the mystery caches were not fully explained. I ran into a group at GC3TTEB that was searching for the cache at the given coordinates. They had no way of knowing how to find the final using the official program. It led to some confusion and frustration.

I would not be offended by a "gambling" theme.

WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I liked the groupings of the caches. Clusters to go and spend an hour searching out the hides and the hides were good quality.

I appreciate that at least 2 of the hiders spent the day checking on their hides to keep the quality up after hundreds of people were poking and prodding them.

The posts and opinions shared here are solely that of the individual and do not reflect the beliefs of the WGA Board of Directors. 
beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had a great time! I didn't find too many caches but the ones I did find were awesome! I really don't care for all of the dangerous caches on the side of the road but that's a personal preference. I was really impressed by the event, I appreciated the variety of hides, as people all play the game differently.

One suggestion that I'd really like to pass on to the committee is that it would really be nice if there were a cache or two hidden at Regner every year that was new to the event. I helped out with the 101 class and several of the new cachers were disappointed that they couldn't go out and find a real geocache that they could find for the event that they could get a stamp in their booklet for. It makes sense, they didn't want to go far for their first one. The only new cache at Regner was a puzzle cache and the description wasn't even in the book for them to solve.

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
Lacknothing
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

beccaday wrote:
I had a great time! I didn't find too many caches but the ones I did find were awesome! I really don't care for all of the dangerous caches on the side of the road but that's a personal preference. I was really impressed by the event, I appreciated the variety of hides, as people all play the game differently.

One suggestion that I'd really like to pass on to the committee is that it would really be nice if there were a cache or two hidden at Regner every year that was new to the event. I helped out with the 101 class and several of the new cachers were disappointed that they couldn't go out and find a real geocache that they could find for the event that they could get a stamp in their booklet for. It makes sense, they didn't want to go far for their first one. The only new cache at Regner was a puzzle cache and the description wasn't even in the book for them to solve.

Becca - good point. However, the puzzle cache that was at Regner was a simple puzzle solve and it would be great to have something like that in the future as it provides a good introduction to puzzle caches.

JT Cache Finder
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very Happy Very Happy We have been to all 6 of the Cache Bashes and this one was by far the best. The quality of all the caches was great. We really enjoyed the difficulty of the hides as well as the difficulty of the terrain. We also ran into one of the co's checking up on one of his caches. We all had a good time, keep up the good work, all of you do a wonderful job putting this together. Very Happy Very Happy

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Year six for me as well...

The Puzzle cache at Renger was not explained in the booklet at all and that was a huge oversight. Not everyone has paperless and many folks had no clue this was a puzzle. If this is to be included there must be an explanation in the booklet.

Far too many code words...they get passed around like crazy. Get rid of them. Every cache can have a stamp. If you want an evil micro cache make it a multi stage one and have the container point to a spot further away which has the stamp.

The cache in Newberg...really one cache way out there? What was the point of that other than maybe to get us closer to a new series of park and grabs. Bring the caches closer to center. This is a West Bend event and we were hardly in West Bend. I think it's time to do some culling around town to make room for new caches.

Prize drawings still too drawn out...but much better than the year of the gun-lock.

Cache page has all the info but did anyone actually read it? I get distracted after about 50 or so words on a page...I know lots of folks come from afar and feel better with more info so I guess this is a necessary evil.

The hides this year were fabulous; the best I have seen yet.

Again the event was highly organized.

A great number of hides were placed as well...just the right amount of them.

Love that it starts on Friday noon!

BigJim60
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I liked the way that the caches were grouped, too. It was nice to be able to park the truck and hike for an hour or more to make several finds. I found 64 of the 66 caches. The two I skipped were the German Submarine and the one in Newberg. I thought that I was running out of time and chose not to drive all the way to Newberg for one cache. Wish I had gone after the submarine. Sounds like it was a lot of fun, but I heard through the grapevine that it had gone missing. Didn't hear that it had been found and returned to its place.

LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I completely understand your point about the booklet. I brought new geocachers to this event this year myself, and realized that we should have listed the cash type in the book. When they wanted to go get their first cash, it was apparent that it was a puzzle cache and the only reason I knew that was because I was on the committee. I could see how this would be very confusing for first-timers. I also agree that new cash in Regner for first-timers would be an excellent idea. Maybe more than one perhaps a starter series For newbies and also families with small children who don't want a long hike. The hiders like to hide micro caches and of course there is no place for a stamp in them. I agree Gary that there could be another location for the stamp But then I think the cashers would just avoid the cash and get the stamp. I don't know the solution to that one yet. One last personal comment I would like to make, is for everyone to keep in mind that Regner is a public park. An abortion truck in the parking lot is out of the control of the Geocaching committee, the chamber, or even the parks department. To suggest we have control over this is really rather silly. This is still the USA and people can demonstrate in areas they choose to in a public place, even though I and many others don't agree with it. Also the fact of the cash trail that showed up in Newburg is not part of the bash and is put out there for people who enjoy that sort of thing. If you don't like them don't do them. No sense picking on cash owners because these are done all over the country. If you have not traveled outside of Wisconsin, you may not know this. The delightful thing about this game is that there are many different types of fun for all to have. If you don't like one thing do something else. That is why I always look for suggestions for next year. I always get good input here and take it back to the committee. Many of the suggestions here have been implemented by the committee in the past. Regarding the cache page, I agree it's like reading a big novel. But there is a lot of information to get out and it is a huge event. I'm not really sure how to shorten it. We can look into it next year.

Still looking for your thoughts on a themed Cash bash for next year relating to the number seven. Do you like it, not like it, or have a different idea? I think it would be cute because Geocaching's could start to make pathtags and/or Geocoins with the theme incorporated into them. I hope there are no major Spelling goofs on here as I am using my voice recognition on my iPhone. Lol!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't mean to bash a hider. I thought my point about the Newberg placement was a legitimate observation.

LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

That comment was not directed at you code junkie. Gotten some emails the last two days regarding the cache trail in Newburg. Nothing to do with you sorry for the confusion. Smile Embarassed

WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

The grouped cache series were nice, we didn't go after the single cache in Newburg since it was alone and the opposite direction of everything else. The only reason we grabbed the couple in Germantown is that we were staying nearby, last year we skipped that group as well. Skipped the U-Boat because of a lack of time and it's own unique challenges Wink

While I love evil monkey/climbing caches, I thought it was a shame that the ones this year had a couple of problems - Evil Cheetah & Lady Beetle I climbed no problem but there were tons of people just hanging around waiting for codewords, and Shimmy I skipped as several people told me the bark was getting stripped away and making for a slippery, difficult climb. At Lady Beetle, the sheer # of people did a lot of damage to the tree.

The bikes available for the Eisenbahn was really nice, thanks to whomever arranged it.

Cache type description would have been nice as a couple of times after searching I had to try and get a signal on my phone to find out what needed to be done for multi/puzzle.

To sign off on a positive note, it really was the most fun we've had in the 4 years we've made it to the Bash. Thanks to everyone involved and can't wait to see what else you've got!

This post is purely a \"hippie\" point-of-view and in no way, shape or form reflects the BOD as a whole. 
Walkingadventure
WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

LDove wrote:
That comment was not directed at you code junkie. Gotten some emails the last two days regarding the cache trail in Newburg. Nothing to do with you sorry for the confusion. Smile Embarassed

Lostby7 is who I think you meant.

Good postings everyone. All well thought out and I think it'll make next year even better.

The posts and opinions shared here are solely that of the individual and do not reflect the beliefs of the WGA Board of Directors.

Last edited by Walkingadventure on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total 
LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

LDove wrote:
That comment was not directed at you Gary. Gotten some emails the last two days regarding the cache trail in Newburg. Nothing to do with you sorry for the confusion. Smile Embarassed

Edited due to my stupid Voice recognition on my iPhone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Before I post my thoughts, I want to post 2 disclaimers.

1) I have never...ever..been to a Cache Bash event and did not go this year.

2) I am not intending to upset anyone as I'm simply stating an opinion.

With those disclaimers out of the way, I wanted to pass along something that Braid Beard's Gang said last week when I said I would not be attending the event due to the crowds.

Braid Beards Gang wrote:
Todd300 wrote:
Day off on Saturday. But not going to a certain mega event. Too many people for my liking.

You could go a week later. There isn't anyone around and you can see how 800+ cache teams destroy a natural environment. Most geo-trails will be so defined you could probably drive on them.

This made me think. And he's right. I have to wonder just how many flower beds got trampled. How many bushes got pulled apart. How many rocks and branches got thrown all over the place in a search. And the list goes on.

It is one thing for a cache in a busy area to get a lot of finds. But that usually takes a period of time. I did not see any logs from the area, but I can just imagine how many logs were written for EACH new cache in that area.

I hate to imagine the city now. I suggest all cachers in the area take a drive around in the area and look for any damage at cache spots. Chances are good there will be damage at those areas. Trust me. While some cachers are careful, others don't give a crap. They will throw things around and not care about the environment in an effort to find the cache quickly and move on to the next one.

Now, I understand West Bend has about 500+ caches in about a 7 mile radius. With maybe 500 more just 10 miles out. I could be wrong. But I was looking at the map and it looks like there's a cache on every block or it seems like.

In my area, there is just 60 caches total in a radius of about 10 miles and you know what? That's how I like it. Every cache in our area brings the person to a park or a boat launch or another spot that the cacher should visit. Outside of a guardrail hide from a puzzle final, I don't think my area has any LPC's guardrails, or roadside sign caches. Same goes for dead ends. We have quite a few dead ends in my area and none of them have a cache.

But when I visited West Bend last year to attend a football game, I did a little caching before the game and it seemed like every roadside sign and every dead end has a cache. I'm sorry, but it's beyond ridiculous. But don't feel bad because Green Bay and Appleton are the same thing. Guardrails, LPC's, and dead end caches all over there too.

But back to West Bend, I've noticed that each year 50+ caches are published during the Cache Bash event. The city is chock full of caches and yet 50 more caches get published each year? How is that possible? I'm guessing caches are being archived just to make room for new caches. It is one thing to archive a cache if it goes missing or in disrepair. But it is another thing to archive just to place another cache there, perhaps even in the same exact spot. That's not right.

I realize the event organizers want to attract cachers by placing new caches in the area for them to find. But shouldn't the point of an event be about socializing with other cachers, not about rushing out to find caches and getting a stamp or whatever.

You know, I ACTUALLY thought about going to West Bend last Saturday. I would get there at 7am, do a short run, go to the event, register, leave without saying a word to anyone, and finish my run the rest of the day. I could rack up the numbers and get a Mega event icon without actually taking part in the event. I'm sure many cachers have already done this. Show up, register, and leave without participating in the activities just so they can get a mega event icon in their profile, especially if they didn't have the mega event icon in the first place. I certainly don't have this icon.

Maybe next year, don't publish any new caches for the event - period. Focus on the event itself at Regner Park itself. Maybe with no new caches to be found, people would actually stay at the park and participate in the activities there instead of stopping by, registering, then leaving. And by not publishing new caches, maybe it will save the local environment from damage caused by the 800+ cache teams invading the town.

View next topic
View previous topic