49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to expand on the "seven" theme. Although I'm totally fine without any forced theme, there are a lot of fun things you could do with a seven theme.

You could have each cache hider pick one of the "seven" themes. Here's some seven-related themes that could be used for groupings of cache hides:

007/James Bond
7 Continents (This one could be really fun for creative hides)
7 Natural Wonders of the World
7 Ancient Wonders of the World
7 Natural Wonders of Wisconsin (Google it, there's a list)
7 Man-Made Wonders of Wisconsin (Google it, there's a list)
Snow White and the 7 dwarves

Or the cache hiders could just choose a topic consisting of seven caches with the subject of their choice.

I'm not too keen about The 7 Samurai or The Magnificent 7; most people wouldn't be able to relate to those two movies.

Again, I'm not into the whole seven thing, not sure if I even like it, but if you're going to go there, the above is submitted for your consideration. Smile

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

As with all the years, I believe the cache bash catered to all types of cachers, quality hide hunters, to number runners, to newbies. The hides were great this year and I liked the them confined to areas rather than random placements.

Being the West Bend Cache Bash I continue to be surprised at caches hidden all the way in Germantown and up in Theresa. The hides were good, but from the persepctive as to the purpose of the event I think those are too far away. A 5-6 mile radius from the central location would be a better concentrated area, keeping the cachers in the community to "reward" the merchants, tax payers, etc. I know the hiders live in those areas and I apprecaite their willingness to hide, but from a West Bend resident and the WB Chamber is putting this on, well, I think you can understand my point of view.

A problem that I did have is the lack of support for events outside of a specific cacher's events. Providing options when there are over 1,000 people in the area would help all around. It would help sparse the attendees better, allowing for restaurants to have time to cook food and provide better service to visitors. Every year the Saturday post bash event gets complaints for the location "not being prepared for many people", "poor service, had to wait", "no place to sit", etc. You can read the logs of past years. This year by providing an alternative event it appears that those issues were minimal. The logs I have read have had less complaints -- that is a good thing, right? Not everyone wants to go to a bar and every year the events that the cache bash supports with exception to the phoon-a-thon and the pancake breakfasts have been at bars.

Another issue was that I, as well as many others, watched a hider go inside the pavilion with the volunteers, cut in line in front of waiting out of state geocacher to sign herself and many of her group of cachers in, get their bags, logbooks, etc. I think that is an abuse of her "position", was inconsiderate, and was completely rude. Really -- cut in front of waiting out of state cachers -- is that the kind of reputation we (West Bend) want to be know for?

Furthermore, the Cache Bash Committee member (Jackie I believe) who yelled at geocachers visting our city telling them that they weren't allowed to move picnic tables at Regner so they can sit down at my barbeque...really? Her snotty comments talking derogatory about me and my guests to members was unappreciated and left a bad taste in people's mouths. They cannot take money in one hand and slap them with the other. I am a tax payer in West Bend yet that was apparently lost. The park is open to everyone, all tax payers, visitors, etc. Given all the grief from Craig about my event and Jackie's snotty comments, I made sure to have a public safety officer survey the area where we were to ensure that we cleaned up, left nothing out of place, returned picnic tables, etc. I wanted to have it documented because though we are responsible and respectful geocachers/people, I wanted to make sure that the Chamber of Commerce / Park and Recrecation department couldn't come back and say we didn't return tables, we left a meses, etc. Sad

Finally, and I understand that the people who are on the committee are primarily volunteers, but the volunteers and their families should not be elligible for prizes.

I understand that everyone has a fair shot, however, its the appearance that is important. It looks a bit suspicous, and it is in bad taste, when like last year a hider/family won a GPSr, then this year that same hider won the $250 CASH prize and a different hider won a GPSr this year. They are recognized on the stage, and I suspect that they are given something at their round up meeting for appreciation of their volunteerism (though I may be wrong), but it looks suspicious when they win "big" prizes.

I have a family member who works for a company, and despite her living across the country I'm inelgibile for any sweepstakes/prizes her company offers; likewise, if a person works at McDonalds their family members are not eligible to play Monopoly.

Anyway, you asked for feedback and here it is. I want the bash to be successful; want to take issues/problems and turn them into opportunities for positive results through change; and to maintain a positive, caring, friendly reputation for the City of West Bend.

B.Q.

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cool, BQ posted a message in the WGA forums, way to go!

For what it's worth I think that it's OK for committee members to be eligible for raffle prizes. If I were on the committee (no I'm not volunteering Cool ) I would be disappointed if I weren't allowed to win just like everyone else. In fact that would be a disincentive to helping out if I had to forfeit winning anything. After all it is volunteer work and there aren't a lot of perks other than "thank you's."

When one of the cache hiders won the Magellan GPSr I was genuinely happy for him. Very fun! He put in a lot of work to hide his caches and I was real glad that chance favored him to win it rather than others. I would have been even happier for him if he won a Garmin but that's another story. Twisted Evil

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was happy for him too. He is a very nice guy, however, just saying -- appearance.

Last year at an event (non-geocaching event) we had a person win 5 prize baskets and because it was someone on the committee, even though the person wasn't pulling the tickets or even holding their own tickets, well lets just say people were a bit unhappy. It didn't matter that the person had put in $20 of their own money, the appearance was that it wasn't on the up-and-up even though it was very much so!

Hopefully those people will return to the annual event, but we've made changes in the raffle process and those on the committee can donate money but suggested that they not participate in the raffle prizes.

Just working off my experience to make things better....

The Goldie Diggers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok John, here comes a post from another surprise guest. As a hider at the Bash I wanted to give my point of view on some of the comments. It is really hard ....check that...impossible to please everyone. When I hide caches I know that not everyone will like what I do. There are lots of people who love difficult hides which involve smaller containers quite often. Judging by how many favorite points those hides receive, its hard to ignore placing them. Now the problem that comes along with hiding difficult hides is the area they are placed really gets tore up and I hate seeing that. I have moved a couple of mine from this years Bash already to let the area heal, which it will and quite rapidily. So you see it is a balancing act for us on the committee to come up with ideas that will be fun for most people. If we made them all easier in spots that wouldn't be in "nature" many people would complain. As far as code words, I wish we could come up with a mini stamper. I would also like to say something about archiving hides. Over the past several years I have begun a practice of archiving my hides after 2 years. This is a way of rotating spots to reduce damage to a particular area and also providing fresh hides for people to find. The alternative is keeping hides in place and then resorting to squeezing new ones in , in less desirable locations. After 2 years most hides trickle down to a couple finds every month or so. The biggest problem in our area currently is over saturation. I think the majority of people would prefer less hides If they were quality.

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow! Bushwhacking Queen and Goldie Diggers both posting in the WGA forums?! I'm impressed! Thank you both for your comments.

One nice thing from hearing about all this stuff is that it truly makes you appreciate how much work goes into planning this event. Wow! Thank you to all who were involved in the planning. I've only been to two Bashes but I enjoyed them both. I look forward to seeing what the committee comes up with for next year!

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I should also add that the people on the committee are all volunteers too. The entire board is comprised of volunteers (excpet for the liaison and the CE). We had to get special permission from the President for even employees to participate in the raffle. Afterwards I understood why they prefer not but allowed...

The Goldie Diggers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For next year I have come up with idea that actually may please everyone. It will be both easy and hard at the same time, it will do very little damage to nature and everyone will have a stamper.....well kind of. It will be Where's Waldo? series. 11 regular sized containers hidden as park and grabs throughout the area. Each cache represents a character such as Waldo. Inside each cache is a supply of picture cards with the character on it. Cachers will sign the log and take one pic with them. The stampers will be with the 11 characters who will be in some sort of custome and caching in the area the 2 days. In order to get your sheet stamped you will need to spot those characters and give them the correct picture in order to get stamped.

Todd300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Goldie Diggers wrote:
I would also like to say something about archiving hides. Over the past several years I have begun a practice of archiving my hides after 2 years. This is a way of rotating spots to reduce damage to a particular area and also providing fresh hides for people to find. The alternative is keeping hides in place and then resorting to squeezing new ones in , in less desirable locations. After 2 years most hides trickle down to a couple finds every month or so. The biggest problem in our area currently is over saturation. I think the majority of people would prefer less hides If they were quality.

Archive a hide just so you can put a new one in the same general area? That's called "churning".

As long as no damage is being done to the area, I prefer leaving hides out as long as possible. Granted, my area doesn't have the geocaching popularity yours does, but I don't archive hides just to put out a new one and bring people back. Exceptions would be if damage is being caused from searches but that's it. Even then, I'll use the "update coordinates" note and move it to a new location if possible.

And you're right. West Bend is too saturated, But at least it doesn't have too many puzzles laying around like the Fox Valley does which poses a problem for future hides if you don't know a puzzle final is nearby.

LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have the time to address everything today, but just so you know the volunteers on the committee go to monthly meetings. In addition, We pay for and by all our own cache containers, camo tape, and even some of the swag. The hiders then have to scope out their locations with their own gas, like Goldie driving numerous times from Menomonee Falls all the way to the northern part of West Bend. People like me also taking a half hour off work to get to these meetings too. Our compensation? One Geocoin. We do this out of love for our community and fellow cachers and some notoriety for placing a really great cache that people enjoy talking about it we enjoy hearing about. I have never entered my ticket in, but I'm also registered as an attendee at this event andI believe personally that if a committee member would win, it's only fair payback for all the time, effort and expense they have put into placing their caches in the past year for all to enjoy.

I truly appreciate all the feedback, and really want to clarify misconceptions about things as they are brought up. Please continue to give me your feedback and comments so that I can take them to the chamber for our planning sessions for next year. Smile

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One last thing, the winner of the $250 price this year was KM Snoop's daughter. KM is not on our committee. He was Geocaching with the family of someone who is on our committee however.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LDove wrote:
One last thing, the winner of the $250 price this year was KM Snoop's daughter. KM is not on our committee. He was Geocaching with the family of someone who is on our committee however.

Really? Hm, looked like an Ecorangers went up for the photo.

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LDove wrote:
I don't have the time to address everything today, but just so you know the volunteers on the committee go to monthly meetings. In addition, We pay for and by all our own cache containers, camo tape, and even some of the swag. The hiders then have to scope out their locations with their own gas, like Goldie driving numerous times from Menomonee Falls all the way to the northern part of West Bend. People like me also taking a half hour off work to get to these meetings too. Our compensation? One Geocoin. We do this out of love for our community and fellow cachers and some notoriety for placing a really great cache that people enjoy talking about it we enjoy hearing about. I have never entered my ticket in, but I'm also registered as an attendee at this event andI believe personally that if a committee member would win, it's only fair payback for all the time, effort and expense they have put into placing their caches in the past year for all to enjoy.

I truly appreciate all the feedback, and really want to clarify misconceptions about things as they are brought up. Please continue to give me your feedback and comments so that I can take them to the chamber for our planning sessions for next year. Smile

Thank you for clarifying the misconception of what volunteers receive beyond the post-dinner celebration. I'm not saying that they shouldn't receive something for their efforts and time. Being a volunteer I believe the mileage and expenses can be tracked and filed on the Schedule A for a donation (but I might be wrong -- I don't do taxes) as its an unreimbursed expense, however, I might be wrong.

I am thankful for all the hiders, and if I could be part of the committee I would surely consider being on it; however, we know that is not possible.

I am very thankful for the hiders and for them taking their time and expense to hide for the cache bash. My point was clearly one of appearance to outsiders. They are spending a lot of money to travel, spend money within the community, etc. and the last message we would want to send it one of bias or favortism. As I posted in my experience of other volunteer efforts on my part, it doesn't matter if it is totally on the up-and-up, it's the appearance that others have will be the message that leaves with them.

LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bushwhacking Queen wrote:
LDove wrote:

Yeah they were caching together as a team. Ecorangers did not win anything.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LDove wrote:
Bushwhacking Queen wrote:
LDove wrote:

Yeah they were caching together as a team. Ecorangers did not win anything.

Again as I said its "appearance."

Barb & Mike have two boys, you said it was his daughter who won....

View next topic
View previous topic