49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Poll
Do you plan on going for all 31 August souvenirs?
YES! Every single one!
23%
 23%  [ 16 ]
Yes, but life might intervene.
16%
 16%  [ 11 ]
I'll cache as I usually do and get souvenirs as I get them.
25%
 25%  [ 17 ]
No. There's no way I can get them all.
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
NO! The whole thing is a bunch of hooey!
20%
 20%  [ 14 ]
meh
11%
 11%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 68

Todd300

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Only 3 days this month.

kungfuhippie
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lacknothing wrote:

I am working on GC1GVN6. I have 60 done and 21 to go....but it is not easy finding the oldies that fit the grid spaces I need. I will have to travel...but it will be well worth it!

What do you have left? I have 10 of them and have dug up the caches for them, just need friends for the adventures! Cool

We ended up doing everyday, not so much because I "had to have" the souvenir, although they helped for some challenges, but because an excuse/challenge to get out and cache was not going to be left unanswered. Ironically, to finish our 31 days, we found the final for the Cheesy WRC while out playing in the forest. Laughing

This post is purely a \"hippie\" point-of-view and in no way, shape or form reflects the BOD as a whole. 
beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

kungfuhippie wrote:
Lacknothing wrote:

I am working on GC1GVN6. I have 60 done and 21 to go....but it is not easy finding the oldies that fit the grid spaces I need. I will have to travel...but it will be well worth it!

What do you have left? I have 10 of them and have dug up the caches for them, just need friends for the adventures! Cool

We ended up doing everyday, not so much because I "had to have" the souvenir, although they helped for some challenges, but because an excuse/challenge to get out and cache was not going to be left unanswered. Ironically, to finish our 31 days, we found the final for the Cheesy WRC while out playing in the forest. Laughing

I already meet the challenge but I'm always up for adventures with friends. Cool

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

kungfuhippie wrote:
Lacknothing wrote:

I've never understood that challenge. Could someone explain it to me in English? It sounds like simply filling in your d/t grid with caches that were published before October 2008, and you must have found all 9 types of caches, again published before 10/08, and then something about cheese that I couldn't understand even after reading it several times. Plus some people's d/t grids that they uploaded don't sort anything by date so it seems like the 2008 rule I might not have the correct understanding.

Lacknothing
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="hack1of2"]
kungfuhippie wrote:
Lacknothing wrote:

My list is at home, but a lot of what I still need is the higher terrain. The only difficulty I have completely done is 2. I'll look when I get home from Chicago. What 10 do you need?

I've never understood that challenge. Could someone explain it to me in English? It sounds like simply filling in your d/t grid with caches that were published before October 2008, and you must have found all 9 types of caches, again published before 10/08, and then something about cheese that I couldn't understand even after reading it several times. Plus some people's d/t grids that they uploaded don't sort anything by date so it seems like the 2008 rule I might not have the correct understanding.

There are several things that have to happen, but the biggest part of this challenge is to find a D/T for every combination on caches that were published 10/03/2008 or before. It is a challenging, but very fun challenge.

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Lacknothing"]
hack1of2 wrote:
kungfuhippie wrote:
Lacknothing wrote:

My list is at home, but a lot of what I still need is the higher terrain. The only difficulty I have completely done is 2. I'll look when I get home from Chicago. What 10 do you need?

There are several things that have to happen, but the biggest part of this challenge is to find a D/T for every combination on caches that were published 10/03/2008 or before. It is a challenging, but very fun challenge.

Oh that's right, I may not have met this challenge. I kind of thought that figuring out the date on all of mine was going to be too much work. Also, I'm not convinced that having them placed by a certain time guarantees the "correct" D/T rating.

sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Since this thread has gone in a direction away from souvenirs, I will comment on the most recent discussion. The "Cheesy Well-Rounded" challenge is one of the original "true" challenges out there. It was placed with the requirement that caches needed a certain publication date to eliminate the possibility that new caches would spring up that would be grid-fillers for this challenge.

And that happens all the time. There are now grid-filler power trails, where cachers can get every rating they need. Even GC has just now "helped" people meet challenges requiring a certain number of souvenirs, or certain streaks. I would disagree with the idea that the early caches might not have the correct D/T ratings because "back then", D/T ratings reflected pretty much what one had to go through to find the caches. Now, D/T ratings are often fudged to fill holes in a grid, and this even happens with events nowadays.

If people become "cheesy" W-R cachers, they can take pride in the fact that they filled their grids by finding some decent caches that were placed to bring people to certain locations, not to fill grid holes. In its infinite wisdom, GC no longer allows date requirements on challenges, thus watering down the game even more.

Not everyone is meant to find every cache or complete every challenge. It is doubtful that we will ever become well-rounded, cheesy or not. Some caches we don't enjoy doing, and if we can't find a cache to fill a grid hole that we would enjoy, then that hole will stay empty. Caching is not a job but a leisure activity. We're not going to kill ourselves just to get certain smilies.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just got in after a day of St. Croix River valley caching, ready to celebrate my mom's 89th birthday and what do I see has been discussed here? Thanks Pat for clarifying that challenge far more clearly than I might have. As far as grids that are displayed that don't sort the finds, rest assured that those individuals have cleared things with us by way of private emails, bookmark lists and GPX files. I thought it was fairly clear as written, but one always knows their own intent and if there are areas of confusion after Pat's great explanation, we're only an email away.

Chatauqua560
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hack1of2 wrote:
kungfuhippie wrote:
Lacknothing wrote:

Wasn't caching then so nothing I have qualifies.

MapQuest and Google maps really need to start their directions on #5. Pretty sure everyone knows how to get out of their own neighborhood. 
sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Chatauqua560 wrote:
Wasn't caching then so nothing I have qualifies.

It doesn't matter when you found the caches, just the dates that they were published... kind of like in the Jasmer Challenge. Not many folks were caching in 2000 and 2001, etc., but anyone can still look for caches that were PUBLISHED in those years. To fill your grid, just look for publication dates before October 3, 2008, (the date of the challenge publication) when you are looking to fill your 81 D/T combinations. You probably have quite a few of the squares filled in already.

Maybe the confusing part was that caches found before the challenge publication date count, too, but since you were not caching then, that wouldn't apply to you.

Anyone can go for this challenge. Obviously, the older dates are harder to come by, just like in the Jasmer. And some of the D/T combinations aren't as common anyway, so they might be even that much harder to come by.

If you have a premium membership, you can do PQs for published dates and D/T combos. The more difficult part is to see which ones you already have, and I have heard... GSAK... can help you with that. Wink

And don't forget the other part of the "cheesy" challenge: to find the icons and some "cheese"!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sandlanders wrote:
Since this thread has gone in a direction away from souvenirs, I will comment on the most recent discussion. The "Cheesy Well-Rounded" challenge is one of the original "true" challenges out there. It was placed with the requirement that caches needed a certain publication date to eliminate the possibility that new caches would spring up that would be grid-fillers for this challenge.

And that happens all the time. There are now grid-filler power trails, where cachers can get every rating they need. Even GC has just now "helped" people meet challenges requiring a certain number of souvenirs, or certain streaks. I would disagree with the idea that the early caches might not have the correct D/T ratings because "back then", D/T ratings reflected pretty much what one had to go through to find the caches. Now, D/T ratings are often fudged to fill holes in a grid, and this even happens with events nowadays.

If people become "cheesy" W-R cachers, they can take pride in the fact that they filled their grids by finding some decent caches that were placed to bring people to certain locations, not to fill grid holes. In its infinite wisdom, GC no longer allows date requirements on challenges, thus watering down the game even more.

Not everyone is meant to find every cache or complete every challenge. It is doubtful that we will ever become well-rounded, cheesy or not. Some caches we don't enjoy doing, and if we can't find a cache to fill a grid hole that we would enjoy, then that hole will stay empty. Caching is not a job but a leisure activity. We're not going to kill ourselves just to get certain smilies.

I agree that this is an awesome challenge cache. There is no way you can just accomplish this one overnight. You really have to work and plan to fulfill the requirements of this challenge. I won't have this one completed for awhile yet, but we will have fun searching out some of these oldies!

View next topic
View previous topic