49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Gram and Gramps
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, Zuma, for adding the links to other state park series. You beat me to it, I was thinking along the same lines. And thanks to others for lots of interesting ideas.

We really liked how the Arkansas series was organized, and the caches we did while visiting there were nicely set up. There is probably no need to reinvent the wheel here, several of these state parks series already exist.

As for rewards, I like hats, but Chris would not likely ever wear one. A small embroidered 'merit badge' would be neat. Gram could get her sewing fix attaching it to my hat or fanny pack, and it would forever be humblyly displayed. An enameled trackable curved hiking staff medallion would be something we'd like and use, too.

We are glad to see our WGA series underway, and look forward to finding more of the caches as we travel this great state of ours.

cYa, Jim & Chris

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

The board is looking into putting together some sort of task force so that we can get things finished off. Let's face it, all of the different jobs that need to be done around here can't be accomplished just by the 9 board members. We know that we can count on our excellent WGA members that are passionate about the project to step up and help out. Stay tuned for more information. Anyone willing to help?

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
hotdogs_off_trail
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One more thing to think about is what about a team that has more than one person? For that reason, I do like the hat proposal. WGA funds should be used more for education and events.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't said much on this topic, because I'm not really into swag. That said, if we want "prizes", I'm thinking that this is a good spot for the DNR to step up and fund said prizes. As far as I know, they have contributed nothing to this project, so if they want to be involved, maybe this is their opportunity.

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think this was one of the hangups with getting the series going in the first place was waiting for the DNR to pay for anything.

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

beccaday wrote:
I think this was one of the hangups with getting the series going in the first place was waiting for the DNR to pay for anything.

Exactly. The difference between our program and those in Minnesota and Georgia is that the state parks actively promoted the programs and provided at least a minimum level of support. Right now, the WI DNR appears to be just going along for the ride. I guess that is fine, but maybe we need to offer them another opportunity to participate.

My experience with rangers in Wisconsin is that they recognize that during the spring and fall (outside of camping and hunting seasons), we constitute the majority of park users, so they really want us to place caches. They do recognize that their budgets are dependent on visitor levels and entry sales. It is just too bad that the executives in the DNR don't recognize this (yet).

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Team Deejay wrote:
I haven't said much on this topic, because I'm not really into swag. That said, if we want "prizes", I'm thinking that this is a good spot for the DNR to step up and fund said prizes. As far as I know, they have contributed nothing to this project, so if they want to be involved, maybe this is their opportunity.

This is what I thought when I saw all of Zumas links...I was fairly sure that it was the parks who were funding those programs...not geocachers.

zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Team Deejay wrote:

My experience with rangers in Wisconsin is that they recognize that during the spring and fall (outside of camping and hunting seasons), we constitute the majority of park users, so they really want us to place caches. They do recognize that their budgets are dependent on visitor levels and entry sales. It is just too bad that the executives in the DNR don't recognize this (yet).

This is a key point, and we need to continue to remind the DNR people of this as often as possible.

DNR involvement is key in making this a first class program. At the start of the thread Gwyn mentioned the value of having each State Park cache advertised at the park. In Minnesota, the generally did this with a poster at a kiosk near the entry point. Doing this, is a great way to introduce new folks to caching.

z

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

I guess it comes down to whether or not we want to actually make this project happen, or whether we want to wait for the DNR for funding. Because it doesn't appear that we can have both.

Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Many of the "Friends" groups put out the newsletters and flyers in the State Parks with their funds. I have seen geocaching mentioned in some of those. I think the one at Point Beach even had the names and coordinates in the park newsletter. Not as a solution, but as an alternate it might pay to contact each of the friends groups and work with them too. Some don't seem to want to spend the WGA's money, but a small donation to a friends group would probably easily open a door to cooperation with them as they rely solely on donations.

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mister Greenthumb wrote:
Many of the "Friends" groups put out the newsletters and flyers in the State Parks with their funds. I have seen geocaching mentioned in some of those. I think the one at Point Beach even had the names and coordinates in the park newsletter. Not as a solution, but as an alternate it might pay to contact each of the friends groups and work with them too. Some don't seem to want to spend the WGA's money, but a small donation to a friends group would probably easily open a door to cooperation with them as they rely solely on donations.

Thank you Bill, that is a good suggestion! I hadn't thought of that and it's definitely worth looking in to.

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I do know that at least in the not too distant past, and maybe even now, the naturalist working at Perrot is funded by their Friends group. Bill's suggestion is great. A lot of these places are operating with pretty basic resources these days. I do think a lot of the programming the various parks offer is through the Friends groups. The state monies go to staffing the parks and basic upkeep, I'm just guessing.

I did discover something else interesting poking around the DNR website. You can search state recreational lands according to a variety of activities. One choice is geocaching. Click that and parks with caches show up, at least if the placers filed the needed paperwork. So at the very least, there's that much involvement on their end.

Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/outdoorrecreation/

That's cool.

WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nice work.

The posts and opinions shared here are solely that of the individual and do not reflect the beliefs of the WGA Board of Directors. 
JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

The WGA has no problem with expenditures that promote the fun. It's the income source that isn't consistant. If we had dues of $10 per year, with 400 members, we would know that we have $4000 to operate our association
(If the WBCB would have been a weekend rainout, our revenue could easily have been much less than in 2013).

If we try to market a new t-shirt, and the whiners don't like it, we have less revenue to work with.
Some members want a WGA geocoin; some want travel tags; some want free stuff; some want nothing, other than to belong to a social group.
Some members are quick to point out what they can't do, because they have prior commitments.
Some members (including BODs) say nothing, until after decisions have been made, then jump in with issues that would have helped with a logical choice before actions were taken.

There. Now you all know a little bit about being on the WGA BODs! It's very satisfying knowing that we made decisions in the best interest of a majority of the members, but it isn't easy!

Getting back on topic...

Our goal was to place a WGA owned cache in each Wisconsin State Park, with the permission and approval of the Wi DNR.

WE DID IT!!

We have a start to a working relationship with the powers-that-be!

This took years to accomplish! We placed 40+ additional caches on DNR property. All it cost was a bit of time and alot of frustration.

It looks like the other cited states had a master plan, in partnership with another group, to create their challenges. We did not! Our "challenge" was getting the caches placed, which we succeeded in doing.
Right now, I don't see anyone getting close to the finish line in finding ALL the SP hides, since a few SPs still are without caches (Rock Island, for seasonal example).

We need continued input to take to the Wi DNR, to show them how our partnership will help them, too. If we need to form an alliance with another group (Friends of XYZ) to get the job done, so be it, but our loyalty should be to the entity that we worked with first.

I don't want this post to look too negative; just realistic.

View next topic
View previous topic