49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
MajorBrat
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

This is something that has been annoying me for quite some time. I had decided not to say anything, but recently I've noticed it getting worse so...

Why is it that some people feel it necessary to create TB tags for bugs that don't belong to them. They make a cute little tag listing the goals of the bug, then on the back they put THEIR name. This is not what I have a problem with. What annoys me is that no where on the tag do they place the name of the owner of the bug. WHY NOT? While it may help the bug travel in the proper direction, I think it's rude. Yes, I know the tags show that the "tag" was created by the listed party, but don't you think you could find room somewhere on the tag to show who actually OWNS the bug?

Bob and I had stopped taking bugs from caches, but recently I've started grabbing them again. I don't take every bug I see...just the ones w/ the above listed tags on them. I take them home and either replace the tag or add the name of the owner to the tag that's attached.

If the intention of the "created" tag is to help the bug move, then great...go tags! If the idea is to mark the bug so that you can quickly see if it's one you've already had...well...get over it! Either remember what you've had, or stop taking them.

I personally put my bugs out without them and wouldn't like having someone else put their Geo-tag on what I own. I also like the cacher to find out what's supposed to happen next when they see the bug page. I like the finder to decide where to send it. (But that's me, and we all know what a pain I am!)

Oh, and when I do this, I notify the owner. So far each time I've done it, the owner has thanked me for what I've done. So far, each has agreed w/ my opinion of the "created by" tags.

In my opinion, IF YOU CAN'T LIST THE OWNER, YOU SHOULDN'T MAKE THE TAG!

MajorBrat

(Edited for spelling errors)

[This message has been edited by MajorBrat (edited 09-10-2005).]

AuntieNae
WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry if it offends you ..
but I have seen way too many bugs that do not have a goal sheet or it is too worn to read.

I got totally blasted for bringing a travel bug from out of state (Nevada) to Wisconsin .. hello, no goal tag and I was heading home so I had no idea of the goal until I got back here.

The whole purpose of goal tags is to help the bugs move in the right direction.

When I log the bug, I post a note to the owner that I will create a laminated tag and replace the bag as necessary. Many owners reply saying thank you. I have had other owners reply asking that I leave their bug without one which I then do.

With the time, effort and expense put into making the tags, yes I was adding my stamp and date I made it so the owners would eventually see that I did take the time to care for their travel bug.

The more recent tags I have made do not have this stamp on them because someone posted earlier it offended them. You need to realize that I have moved many bugs and created many tags with the stamp so it will be a while before they are out of this area.

Start adding up the cost of printing, shrinking, cutting out, laminating, cutting out, punching the tags .. plus the baggies when necessary .. it has been my way of giving back to the travel bugs I am moving.

The whole purpose of goal tags is to help the bugs move in the right direction ... is it not?

I will start adding the owners name, perhaps state they came from .. if that would be helpful .. just wish that printed out on the bug sheet.

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think Image if you’re replacing a worn out tag, any owner that is not grateful for someone taking the time to care for a bug is missing something. Now if you create tags for bugs which had none and the owner didn't mind, then all is well. I seen a few of the ones you tagged and think nothing of it. Actually it saved me time by not having to return home to log it see what its mission is then move it along. With mission on there that says move from place to place I can drop it off the same day at another cache that I hit.

This topic was debated on GC.com quite a bit and for the most part I got from it that most people didn't care. Some did but most thought it was a nice service when it was needed.

The two bugs I sent out have laminated paper in it which if it ever gets ruined I would hope someone would take the time to spruce it up again. And stamp the tag saying your created the new tag to show you spent the time making it.

[This message has been edited by pcfrog (edited 09-09-2005).]

ecorangers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm wondering why you wouldn't just e-mail the geocacher's in question and ask them personally, why they do what they do?

I wish they could do the same (make tags) for geocoins. I have two geocoins that have specifics missions but there's no way of knowing until you log it. What if the geocoin was so close to it's mission and we take it far far away?

I'd like to personally thank them for doing their kind deed. Tami

wifireman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

that is why I drilled a hole in my coin and attached a D ring with info. It has helped as my wife's coin is in Canada doing what its sapose to be doing.
Smokey

quote:
Originally posted by ecorangers:
I'm wondering why you wouldn't just e-mail the geocacher's in question and ask them personally, why they do what they do?

I wish they could do the same (make tags) for geocoins. I have two geocoins that have specifics missions but there's no way of knowing until you log it. What if the geocoin was so close to it's mission and we take it far far away?

I'd like to personally thank them for doing their kind deed. Tami

------------------
"Be safe and Keep on Searchin"
"Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires"
My Current Coin List
Wisconsin Coulee Region Cachers

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i put one of these tags for my geocoin in the bag with the coin, that way people would know where it wants to go. I have picked up a couple of these "tag someone elses bugs" and thought it was nice of the last finder to do so(minus there name on back).
my problem with the couple of bugs i found that were tagged by a person other than the owner was that they also seemed to put a strong dose of perfume on them too. opening the cache they were in almost made me sick, let alone the drive home with them.....
when i walked in the door all i could think of was my girlfriend was gonna think i found another woman and just said i was "going caching"

MajorBrat
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Okay people...you're missing the point! The point is not that that the tags are there, the point is that they are there WITHOUT mentioning who owns the bug! If you read my original post completely, before getting knickers in a twist, you would have known what I meant. So let's try parts of this again. I deleted the parts that may be confusing to those missing the point. **PLEASE PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE LAST SENTENCE OF THE QUOTE**

quote:
Originally posted by MajorBrat:
...They make a cute little tag listing the goals of the bug, then on the back they put THEIR name. This is not what I have a problem with. What annoys me is that no where on the tag do they place the name of the owner of the bug. WHY NOT? While it may help the bug travel in the proper direction, I think it's rude. Yes, I know the tags show that the "tag" was created by the listed party, but don't you think you could find room somewhere on the tag to show who actually OWNS the bug?

...If the intention of the "created" tag is to help the bug move, then great...go tags!...

In my opinion, IF YOU CAN'T LIST THE OWNER, YOU SHOULDN'T MAKE THE TAG!

MajorBrat

See? I'm not annoyed that the tags are there, I'm annoyed that they don't list the owner of the bug, but list the maker of the tag. I noted that they may help send the bug in the correct direction. I'm just saying that if a tag "creator" can find space for their own name, why can't they manage a line to show who actually owns the bug?

In reference to my not contacting the maker of such tags, why should I? I'm not pointing any fingers, or mentioning any names. I'm speaking in general terms about something that annoys me. I'm not attacking any one person, I'm giving the pros and cons as I see them. I know there is more than one person doing this. If someone takes offense to it...well...maybe it's because they see themselves in my description of the situation.

As for the coins, besides the mentioned drilling, there is another way. Check out WISearcher's social coin next time you're at an event. It was wrapped in cellophane then laminated. As was the bug goal page (complete with owner's name, release date, and no tag creator name). Both items were then put on a key ring and dropped into an event.

So before you get all upset, try reading the text completely, and don't take it out of context! If you do this, feel free to voice your opinion...good, bad, or indifferent! I can take it!

MajorBrat

Green Bay Paddlers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

LOL - As long as the bug is moving I could care less if the pope puts his name on it...

MajorBrat
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Green Bay Paddlers:
LOL - As long as the bug is moving I could care less if the pope puts his name on it...

Hey, that would be cool!

Gram and Gramps
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

We have picked up a few tag-less TB's while on vacations, and hauled them far away, only to discover we goofed up the mission posted on the website. Im one case, we brought one up from Florida and found out it had been within a hundred miles of its goal. The owner was gracious, and thought maybe another 1400+ miles might be ok anyway!

Replacement tags are appreciated, but should credit the owner, not the nice GeoCacher who fixed it up. Emailing the owner is an easy way to get the thank you and pat on the back, if that's the goal.

cYa Grandma & Grandpa

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by MajorBrat:
Okay people...you're missing the point! ...
MajorBrat

I got the point. Image

Mine was it just really didn't matter.

wifireman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I never thought that I would say this (BUT) I agree with PCFROG. I also think that this is an issue that should have be brought up to the person (people) in question instead of calling them out to the public. I've done it in the past and have greatly regreted what I've done. (Sorry again you know who.) I personally don't look at the tags to see who owns them. I don't know most of the owners and the names mean little to me until I get home and find out more about the owner. While caching, I look to see where the TB are going and how I can help them. I would be thankful for someone helping my "lil ol coin".
I do agree that maybe the stamp on the back should contain a notice that the tag was created by....for....

I would go caching with the Pope. That would be great! Finally, an accident-free caching trip! Maybe would be able to take his cool car for a trip.(Is the new Pope still using it?)

The Teacher

------------------
My Current Coin List

wifireman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Special Note.....

I did read all the posts and skipped the part where Major Brat was talking about not pointing fingers...My bad.

The first post DID feel that way, though.

------------------
My Current Coin List

sweetlife
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

when we find a bug with out a goal tag, if it has a goal we will print out a tag for it and just slide it in a ziplock along with the bug. We have never added our name, or even emailed the owner of the bug just to get a pat on the back. $.02 from us.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Cathunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OK, i'll play....

If I want a goal tag on my bug, i'll put one on it. If I wanted my bug in plastic bag, I would of had it that way in the first place!

As far as i'm concerned someone else "modifying" one of my bugs in any way would be no different than if they "modified" one of my caches without my authorization. A big NO-NO!

Likewise, if I want my name on my bug, i'll put it there. Moreso, I sure as he__ don't want someone else's name on my bug!

If the goal for your bug is THAT important to you, put a tag on it before you release it!

------------------
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go.
Theodore Seusse Geisel
(aka Dr. Suess)

View next topic
View previous topic