49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
wooden_nickel
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Following discussion about caching alone or caching together in the latest why do you cache topic, I am interested in hearing what you do. Events are an experience of their own, so what about non event caching...

Do you

A. Always cache alone
B. Always cache with others, be it family or new found friends?
C. Some of both?

Why?

wooden_nickel
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I enjoy some of both.

Caching alone gives me that time to clear my thoughts and relax.

Caching with others sometimes means a good lunch out of the office, meeting up with some cachers I haven't seen in a while, interesting conversation and added competition to call the the first finders tree.

As of late, I would say I have had more of the caching alone which has certainly been relaxing.

wzbt03
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I cache alone - sounds somewhat like a George Thorogood song.

While I prefer to cache alone I do understand why many only cache in groups.
If numbers are your thing (which is fine) then caching with a group will greatly enhance the number of finds. The group can also be a family unit but I tend to think of this as more of caching on your own with your own being your family unit.

rpaske
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by wooden_nickel:
Following discussion about caching alone or caching together in the latest why do you cache topic, I am interested in hearing what you do. Events are an experience of their own, so what about non event caching...

Do you

A. Always cache alone
B. Always cache with others, be it family or new found friends?
C. Some of both?

Why?

Really, I do not mean to sound as if I am a curmudgeon, but, why does it matter? I cache because.....I choose the caches because....I choose the type of transportation because....I choose to eat a geocaching lunch at, well, Culvers because of the better butter burgers.

[This message has been edited by rpaske (edited 11-06-2005).]

wooden_nickel
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, it really doesn't matter. I have always went back and forth between which I enjoy most. I think I have found that I enjoy a mix of both. I was just interested in hearing if others have found themselves in the same position. Answers could range from a simple one liner with no reason why, a page long of why or whatever anyone would like to add to the topic. I guess if you don't want to answer or don't like being asked, then just pass on the topic. Just a question. That's all it is.

CB&MB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow! It's sad that so many simple questions become such "issues" on these forum threads!

I've done all of the above. For me, caching with Commander Bob is the best way to spend my time on the trails. We have so many of the same thoughts and styles that make it very easy to be "out there" with him.

I've also enjoyed caching with small or large groups of people. Some very funny things can happen when others are walking with me. Not to mention the fact that I've made some wonderful friends while caching. We'd start talking and discover that we'd like to do more. Before long we found ourselves caching together more and more, then spending time together (dare I say it?) without GPSR's in our hands.

Team Badger is a great example of caching with others. No one is excluded and all are welcomed. (Some even return)

As for walking alone. Yes, I enjoy that too. Sometimes I find myself needing a release of sorts. Taking a walk and excercising my "sailor" vocabulary is often quite a relief. There are also times when a few moments of silence are needed and caching is great for that too.

It really doesn't matter how I cache, as long as I get to do it. I'm just glad that there were those who talked me into walking in the beginning. I've had a blast!

Thanks for the question Kevin!
(Glad to see you back Jeff!)

~MajorBrat

river_rat
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lately i've been caching alone. I think the biggest issue with caching with someone is finding someone who enjoys the same pace. I'm far from a power cacher....more of a meandering cacher.

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like caching alone at times because it provides me an opportunity for reflection and meditation. It always amazes me that I tend to forget all the things that are troubling me. It supports the book title: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (and it is all small stuff!)

I like caching in a group at times because it puts me to the test. I an known as our navigator and strategizer for the group that I cache with. The "team" is relying on me to get them where we need to be and the most efficient way. It tests my abilities but also gives me a pat on the back when I hear, "great job B.Q." Though I hear it at work, sometimes we don't hear it enough. I guess it is one way that I can get an ataboy. Image

Major Brat, I like your referral to sailor language. I can remember one cache in Illinois that I just let it rip! It was our 5th attempt at this cache and when I found it....well let's just say it is a great thing that it was late, dark, and no kids around! Image I was totally out of character! (then again I remember that cache well!) Image

Bottome line though, as long as I'm caching I'm happy. Ever hear: If mama ain't happy nobody is happy! Image

Diane

Timberline Echoes
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We have done every cache as a team of two although there have been times when we have been able to join up with other cachers or teams either on purpose or by happening to meet on the trails. Either way we enjoy caching as long as we are out there. Neither of us has ever cached alone.
Timberline Echoes

Team Honeybunnies
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

I envy you Echoes. Ms. Honeybunny did every single one of our first 400 together, and then studying for her RN has dominated her life and left this time vacuum I've been filling with geocaching. She still gets moments here and there. More of an aside about relationships, but she's only been back in school for 2&1/2 months and it feels like forever.
I do enjoy caching with others, but for the most part it has been a novelty. When I have, it has been a great experience.

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

To those who are paranoid schizophrenic you are never caching alone since you are always being watched and followed.

river_rat
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by pcfrog:
To those who are paranoid schizophrenic you are never caching alone since you are always being watched and followed.

schizophrenics are people two!

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by river_rat:
schizophrenics are people two!

And at times they are 3 or 4

djwini
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

caching with my hubby is a great together time.
caching with my geo-dog lucky is just a great walk
caching with my caching buddies is usually reserved for the harder hunts, when we can find time to get together
caching alone is something i will do if i have to, but as a woman, alone in the woods is not really a good place to be in these times.

Mama Fishcacher
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I pretty much cache alone. My routine lately is: I drop Little Fishcacher off at school, Papa Fishcacher is still sleeping at home from his late work shift (7pm-3am), and off I go! Every cache under our team's name I have been there. Someday I'll go back and count exactly how many LF and PF have actually attended. Image If it wasn't such a PITA, I'd change the team name on GC.com.

LF has been hesitant to cache since he got into some stinging nettle at one this summer. (I don't blame him! That stuff is awful!) But also, it's not always his cup of tea. PF just works that weird shift, so getting him to come along is next to impossible anymore. Every now and then the three of us will go together and find one on a weekend afternoon.

But I find I like caching alone more and more. I love being out in nature, going my own pace, stopping to ponder whatever I want to ponder, and moving along when I want to move along. I trust my gut instincts as to whether I should stop for a cache or not in regards to personal safety. Just today I did a loop of caches in an area and one cache I pulled off the road to park for, I just had an icky feeling about, so I passed it by instead. I've only had that happen just a few times, so I trust the feeling when it surfaces. But just in case, I also carry a cell phone, a knife, and pepper spray. (So don't jump out and surprise me on the trail or you might be sorry! LOL!)

~MF

View next topic
View previous topic