49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Geocaching to me is always like solving a puzzle: where did the hider place the cache; is it in the tree stump or is it hidden in that strangely placed grouping of rocks. I like to get into the head of the cache placer and see why they brought me to a particular place. I like to learn what kind of pattern a particular cacher uses in their hides. In short I like the adventure of the search and to be able to solve the puzzle. Getting stumped on one every now and again is what makes the hunt that much more fun as it is what makes the puzzles worth solving (also being borderline obsessive compulsive helps drive my hobby).

I began caching one year ago last month and did so to provide my kids with an activity we could all enjoy as a family; what kid doesn’t love a treasure hunt. When I was little there used to be a watermelon hunt in a local park. That hunt was based on finding multiple ‘WPs” with clues written on pieces of paper. I loved that hunt so much, and that is likely why I really like this technology jazzed version we play with today.

Up until about 6 months ago I used to ride my road bike a few thousand miles each year. This was my only means of getting out and being active. One day I woke up with really bad arthritis; it came from out of the blue; I found that in many ways this activity could replace the biking. If it weren’t for Geocaching I’d spend less quality time with my kids, be about 20 pounds heavier, and still be looking for that watermelon.

[This message has been edited by Lostby7 (edited 11-05-2005).]

wzbt03
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I will answer the question in reverse fashion:

Why don't I cache (as much as before)?

Caches have become very predictable and most lack the challenge that used to drive me.
Instead now I just cache on vacations and every once in a while when a local one or a particular one interests me.

Now the other side of the coin - Why do you cache?

To find new areas and challenges. To enjoy an outdoor activity that often surprises me (that is with proper planning to avoid the lame ones)

What don't I get out of it?

I honestly don't feel the sense of community that a lot of you do and thats okay. I have never been around a group yet that does not complain about the others that are not there.

I am really happy that a lot of cachers have found people they like and enjoy caching with them. Most cachers appear to be quiet introverts and with the group activities and such, they have found a comfort zone being in like company.
I just never have gotten a big thrill by caching in groups is all. It always seems to take a lot of the adventure out of it.

What do I get out of it?

A fun activity that compliments some activities I like better such as biking, hiking and traveling.

The bottom line for me is for everyone to enjoy it as they like and there is no right or wrong answer.
Everyone should be comfortable saying what they like and feel.
This forum usually frowns on opinions that are not in the mainstream.

I edited this posting since part of my answer was in reference to another post - just got mixed up is all but it did get me a very nice letter - really it was nice.
Thanks for the correction.

[This message has been edited by wzbt03 (edited 11-06-2005).]

wooden_nickel
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think I shared why I enjoy to cache in a previous topic: http://www.wi-geocaching.com/forums/Forum24/HTML/000105.html

And that was - To bring me to places that I never would have went on my own and that I will never forget.

I have been enjoying reading this topic as well. It is good to hear different reasons people cache, but to also hear some of their thoughts behind the reasons. As in my topic listed above, I was really looking to hear what else people get out of caching when they find so many, so fast. I think it is becoming evident, that cache for the numbers or not, everyone is getting way more out of geocaching than just the numbers. That has not always been evident with the high emphasis often placed on watching the numbers.

wzbt03 brings up another interesting question on caching alone or caching together that I have been thinking about asking so here's to a new topic for that one!

[This message has been edited by wooden_nickel (edited 11-05-2005).]

Timberline Echoes
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There is not much to add that has not already been said. We both have always enjoyed being out in nature either biking, hiking, snowshoeing or camping. We also have always made time together a very high priority so when we found out about geocaching it just fit in nicely with our lifestyle of getting out in the woods together. It also came at a time in our lives when our youngins' were leaving the nest. We only have one left at home and since she works we could not travel as far and for as long as we wanted. With geocaching we could be out in nature all day and still be home in the evening to do our parent job. We so enjoy the places that geocaching takes us and being able to share those experiences with each other and all the cachers we meet makes us happy.
Timberline Echoes

purpleartichoke
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

This is a wonderful thread to read. I'm always curious to know why people partake in the activities they do, and the responses to this question are fantastic.
We've only been Geocaching since June of this year, so I don't have a ton of things to base it on. However, I can tell you that it has become a very enjoyable way for my family to spend time together. We have discovered places in the state we would not have otherwise visited and we've met people we would not have likely met without the planned activities of our fellow cachers.
I enjoy the challenges each cache brings and each find is another success. Sometimes it's easy to listen to the voices in your head (not just the ones telling you to do horrendous things to Oreos) that tell you you're not quite good enough. This is one fun way to prove you still have brain power and maybe a small bit of athletic ability you didn't think you could muster up.
Anyway, I geocache for all those reasons and because it's just plain fun.
Thanks for sharing all your reasons, too!

kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by purpleartichoke:
Anyway, I geocache for all those reasons and because it's just plain fun.

Thanks, purpleartichoke!

And a special thanks from me for not giving in to the temptation of using "cache" as a verb. As you so ably demonstrated, it's not that difficult to type "geocache."

I'm sorry, folks. Going "caching" is just too damn cutsey.

purpleartichoke
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

LOL You're welcome. I'll admit, I flip-flop, though. You just caught me in a moment of full-on typing. LOL

Sean Connery
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, today is the one year anniversary of when I began geocaching so I will render some of my thoughts on the subject. Like a couple of the above poster's, I too read a newspaper article on geocaching that mentioned hiking in the woods and finding a "treasure" at the end of the hike. Cool! The Bond Girl and I have always enjoyed hiking in the woods so ehat a great bonus.

I already had a gpsr that I bought some years ago for deer hunting but which otherwise just sat on the shelf collecting dust. So, after logging onto gc.com and finding there were many caches nearby, I went after a few on my own. And lo and behold I discovered that I was being led to places in my area that I never knew existed.

I also love challenging my search skills against others. It didn't take long to decide to upgrade my gpsr to the 60cs with city select mapping software and purchase NG Topo Wisconsin, as well as GSAK and a premium membership.

Sharing my addiction with the Bond Girl has been a double edged sword so to speak. While she enjoys going geocaching, she doesn't enjoy competive geocaching at all. This forces me to tone done my hardcharging ways. We go back and forth on this issue, but so far she has stayed with me.

I look to the future with anticipation of other great events, and meeting other great cachers. Both the Bond Girl and I have greatly enjoyed meeting so many of you at the events and wish you all Happy GeoCaching!

OuttaHand
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

OuttaHand: "Doc, I have this R.A.S.H."
Doc: "Shall I prescribe an ointment?"
OuttaHand: "Nope. I LOVE it!"
Doc: "Huh?"
(explanation of geocaching follows)

When I lost much of my vision in late '98, I lost most of my hobbies right along with it. I could no longer drive so sports cars, 4x4's, ultralight airplanes, and snowmobiles all went away. Hmmmm... 'What to do?'

Along with my new job came a new boss who is a cacher. He "showed me the light" (and gave me the R.A.S.H.!)

I love having an activity (or R.A.S.H.) that allows me to use a cool high-tech device, gets me out to the woods to Ma Nature, creates an opportunity for my wife and I to do something together, and gets us both to awesome places that we otherwise never would have known about. We've discovered some incredible places within 30 miles of our home that we probably never would have known about otherwise.
It has also given us both a great opportunity to stretch our photographic legs. We've gotten some incredible pictures at many of the caches we've visited. It's really hard to beat a good cache hidden in a nice spot in the Kettle Moraine!

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks everyone that participatd in posting. This is an energy-filled thread and any new cacher that reads it I think will say, "I got to get me some of that!"

For those of you that still have not posted, should you feel ready to share, please do so.

Diane

GeoVet
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Your question contains the answer: I hunt cache to get out of it (the house).

View next topic
View previous topic