49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
GeoVet
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Last weekend was the first time I've hunted in a while, a long while. Anyway, it seems as if the ammo can has gone the way of the brontosaurus, and been replaced by pill bottles and film canisters. I've always been a proponent of ammo cans and disdain the whole micro-nation. But it seems to me that micros are the dominant species. Is this what we've evolved to? If so, I will adapt and suggest WGA change its' logo to something more relevant, more reflective of the times. I LIKE the old logo (a lot) but I suppose I'm a crumudgeon and should get over the "good old days". Any ideas?

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

I too, have noticed a change to more micro's, and I too prefer the old ammobox. I am sure there is a proper mix that we can all live with. Too many micro's will discourage children. too many ammoboxes will diminish the challenge at ground zero. Micro's are much cheaper to place and easier to hide, but quickly become geotrash. Ammoboxes offer much better protection of the contents and are less likely to be carried off by the 4-legged creatures. Micro's are less likely to be carried off by 2-legged creatures. We like to hide caches that are representative of what we like to find and our latest caches have been ammoboxes (or cammoboxes). Trudy & I recently made a try at the Yellowstone Trail series and found a large part of it is ammoboxes. I think that in more densly populated areas, there are so many muggles that it encourages placing smaller caches. Long live the ammobox cachers! ~tb

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a firm believer in placing an appropriate size to the location it is hidden in. I walked almost three quarters of a mile into the woods the other day for a film can. It could have been a garbage can hidden out there in the woods and no one would have muggled it. I can understand a film can in the city but not out in the woods.
But this is a discussion of the logo; Iíve always (being new that means for a year) thought it looked kinda cheesy. Iím not that good with photoshop but Iím sure someone out there is.

Green Bay Paddlers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've gotten nervous about ammo cans ever since the police were called out in De Pere. Micros seem a lot safer in that regard.

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can sympathize with all the concerns. I go by the placement of the cache and whether or not I have the extra money to go buy ammo boxes. LOL It was unfortunate that my "Fishin' Hole" series offered too few spots to plant a micro, let alone an ammo box.

I don't use the stickers on mine.. just write all over the place on it, stating what it is. I know that won't help in city located caches, because an average person would be very suspicious. I know I would be. Really... what does a sticker of writing really ensure??

I guess just do what ya gotta do and find other types of large containers that might work. I am thinking of saving the HUGE coffee creamer containers I get for work, cammo taping that and see how it works. Just gotta us the `ol zippy lock bags as a safety net.

I recently adopted "Bucky's Hideaway" GCKCQ6 and replaced the container with an ammo box and if my Dunes series EVER gets approved, there is one Large ammo box there too.

I enjoy the challenge of a micro hide, but it does get frustrating after a while, when you can't find them...like yesterday...in the blowing snow... LOL

EnergySaver
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good discussion!
My opinions ...

I too like bigger containers out in the woods. But also agree the many urban caches or local park caches work better with micros. Also, I'm concerned with people freaking if they find a dangerous looking ammo can ... so I'm trying to use them in only real remote areas, or where I can strongely emphasis that "all is well" (example: at Harrington Beach I have an ammo can in a somewhat traveled area, but it has the Ranger's name and Ranger office phone number all over it) ... But I think large containers can be clear tupperware, for example, and keep the panic level very low if found by mistake. I also think there could be more "small" caches where many "micros" are showing up ... at least have room for a couple trickets for the kids.

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by EnergySaver:
I also think there could be more "small" caches where many "micros" are showing up ... at least have room for a couple trickets for the kids.

Hey... for BIG kids too!!! I like that cute lil stuff, like pins etc. Image

GeoVet
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

So I guess nobody wants to change the logo but we agree the sport has changed (at least the dominant container type). Makes me wonder what will sport be like 5 years from now . . .

Green Bay Paddlers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

5 Years from from?

That's a good question...

There are some things I'm excited about: More accurate GPSr's, more infrastructure on the GEOCACHING.COM website, more people involved in the hobby...

However, there are some things that make me shudder...

A saturation of geocaches over every square inch of public land, more poorly labeled ammo cans in urban areas raising the ire of local authorities, more soaked, archived caches that haven't been removed from the wilderness, more and more trails worn into forest preserves and public land to caches that have been sitting there for the past 5 years! Image

A lot of opportunities for us as an organization...

Jeff

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I really like ammo cans, but have no issues with a well placed micro. maybe we should be happy that we still can use ammo cans, since it seems by what I've read that in michigan that the MI DNR doesn't want people using these anymore. http://mi-geocaching.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=115

Green Bay Paddlers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Certainly not an unreasonable request...

GeoVet
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not unreasonable? Balderdash! The fear-mongers and PC Police better stay on the other side of the pond. We should never concede to a few nanny-state safety nazis. C'mon! This sport is about the ammo can and a GPSr. I'm going on record as of right now saying if they ban the can in Badgerland . . .(I hate to say it) I'm through. Not unreasonable? Tupperware my eye.

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i just posted that info/link to let others know what is going on elsewhere. personally i can see in an urban setting not using a ammo box, but in the woods? seems silly. as for the logo it could use some updating, though im not going to say that the micro should take place of the ammo can.

Cathunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It certainly defies me that anyone would find an ammo can to be a bad thing. Judging by the number that have been muggled in the past few years, it is obvious that most do not share the concern.

------------------
"My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it." -- "Grendel", by John Gardner

Green Bay Paddlers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In an effort to keep their citizens safe (based on previous incidents regarding ammo cans) the MI DNR is simply asking cachers to make a slight change in container types as opposed to banning caching entirely.

Wow - They're WAY out of line! Once again privileges become entitlements. Remember folks, we do not have a god-given right to litter public lands with containers of any size, post the coordinates on-line, and let countless visitors wear trails into the soil in an attempt to find them.

We need to work together with government agencies instead of throwing a fit each time they make a good faith effort to work with us. If that is what happens, then caching will die out in the next few years.

[This message has been edited by Green Bay Paddlers (edited 11-21-2005).]

View next topic
View previous topic