49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Buy_The_Tie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by wzbt03:
...I ask this question very sincerely....
Why does someone also have to issue threats to close topics by the "administators"?

Ummmm.... I don't get it. Could somebody please explain?

[This message has been edited by Buy_The_Tie (edited 12-02-2005).]

wzbt03
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rather then respond to your obvious taunt Tie, I will take the higher road and just ignore you.

Since we do see each other in person on occassion, we can discuss it then.

Buy_The_Tie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by wzbt03:
Rather then respond to your obvious taunt Tie, I will take the higher road and just ignore you.

Since we do see each other in person on occassion, we can discuss it then.

I'm not taunting anybody.

I truly don't understand your question.

The Tapps
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As we just started GEOCACHING just over a year. My son and I LOVE IT! We have been attacked by or typed in the forums by Major Brat for our actions. She needs to think TWICE before adding it. We should all work together in makeing this a BETTER SPORT for the FUTURE MEMBERS!!! This should be fun for the kids and ALL. I have spent MANY DOLLARS keeping my caches filled for the kids. PLEASE check logs on our Amo cans! This is a GREAT SPORT and needs to GROW!!

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

to the The Tapps, though i can understand your frustration with some peoples postings on here, please try not to use other cachers names if you have a complaint. we all have been guilty of expressing our opinions from time to time and calling people out so to say is just a flame war waiting to happen. no need for any of that.

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by arcangl7:
Posts designed to stir the pot can often be a double edged sword. There is always room for dissent and discussion. I've given my opinion more than once and it was very clear that it was no more than that.

this is how i have felt all day, my stirring of the pot(to me) is almost as bad as the lashing out and rudeness that goes on here. i want everyones opinion, just not any attitude. i have not heard anyone else mirror my opinion about this, which is kind of sad. these forums would be a better place by far if some people left the attitude at home. seems to me by everyone basicly ignoring the problem it will never go away. lets compare the issue to a house fire, and lets use the ignore it stratgy for awhile..... lets see how long it is before we are sitting in a pile of ashes.
there has been more than one discousion that has gone sour that could have went somewhere . all it would take to change things would be for everyone to say "hey, check the attitude at the door!"

[This message has been edited by hogrod (edited 12-02-2005).]

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu:
For the first comment:
O~~~ O~~~ O~~~
Da Fu sends 3 sloppy snowballs at hogrod...."You said no hugs"

if we had enough snow around here i would try to hit you back! your post made me laugh.
thanks!

also wooden_nickel, i am sorry for deleting the whole topic from yesterday, you made some great points, and weren't lashing out at anyone doing so. it won't happen again. if people would rather have the topics closed and not deleted, why give the topic start the option to delete it in the first place? my vote is to remove this option and if the topic needs to be deleted you would have to ask a administrator to do so.

[This message has been edited by hogrod (edited 12-02-2005).]

GeoPink
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
I ask this question very sincerely....
Why does someone also have to issue threats to close topics by the "administators"?

I will answer your question. Unfortunately my remarks were misinterpreted. I made no threat to close topics nor do I intend to irresponsibly. My offer, and that is what it is, is in response to the question posed in the title of this topic -- "What can I do as the topic starter?"

I hope that explanation and my earlier post will clarify my point.

------------------
Team GeoPink
- Jeff
Co-conspirator to make the world a better place...

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'll take the group hugs over the Jerry Springer junk anyday! I think that the majority of our members would agree.

Intelligent discussions are fine. We can share our opinions in a positive manner. I think we all know when things are not "positive". The general term for this is is "flaming".

Over the years, we have had several members take breaks from the forums to cool off. This doesnt happen from courteous conversations. It because a topic has turned into a flame fest.

People will make an impression on the type of person you are, based on the things you post in the forums. Maybe some people don't care what everyone thinks of them. I do!

I want our forums to be a place where we can share our joy of the game. I frown heavily on rude comments. People shouldn't be chased away from our forums because of heated exchanges.

Trust me folks, nobody wants to read a flame fest. (If you enjoy that junk, your better off on the GC.com forums Image )

wooden_nickel
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

no problem hogrod. Hopefully a few people had the chance to read it! I am just glad that you have chosen to stick around the forums. We all should be sad any day someone feels forced to leave this community.

As far as the option for a topic starter to delete the topic. I am not sure if that is something that is governed by our folks or just a feature of the bulletin board we utilize?

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by hogrod:
if we had enough snow around here i would try to hit you back! your post made me laugh.
thanks!

Well it appears you got your wish hogrod; we have plenty of the heavy stuff now. Image

Will you be holding an event so we can have a snowball fight? We can hide caches inside the snowballs (micro's of course) and we can hunt in a 30 ft radius (acceptable accuracy of caches).

AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Bushwhacking Queen:
Well it appears you got your wish hogrod; we have plenty of the heavy stuff now. Image

Will you be holding an event so we can have a snowball fight? We can hide caches inside the snowballs (micro's of course) and we can hunt in a 30 ft radius (acceptable accuracy of caches).

30ft of accuracy? You must be using a Magellan. I get much better accuracy with my Garmin. Image

[This message has been edited by AstroD-Team (edited 12-03-2005).]

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by AstroD-Team:
30ft of accuracy? You must be using a Magellan. I get much better accuracy with my Garmin. Image

[This message has been edited by AstroD-Team (edited 12-03-2005).]

ford vs chevy.... garmin vs magellan... I've owned both and personally like my garmin better, but i plan on buying one of the new lowrance h20 color models in the next few months. boy will i be the odd man out!

Green Bay Paddlers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm planning on doing plenty of homework between the brands before investing in my next GPS unit. I'm really starting to lean towards the Garmins. I had a long chat with the GPS salesman at LL Beans flagship store in Maine this past spring when we were out there on a trip. He really sold me that Garmin is poised to take over the industry. It's been Apple vs. IBM up until now. I really think Garmin is going to be the standard in the near future.

I have a Magellan Meridian Gold right now and I'm relatively pleased. However, I'll be doing some research before the next purchase.

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Green Bay Paddlers:
I have a Magellan Meridian Gold right now and I'm relatively pleased. However, I'll be doing some research before the next purchase.

i have had more than one meridian gold and liked it allot. i got rid of both and bought a etrex legend C. i have only had it a few months and now there are rumors of some new garmin models, CX models that have removable storage and a new chip. so if you are considering a garmin, you may want to hold off and see what comes of these new ones.
more info about these possible future units can be found here. http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=114790&hl=60cx

View next topic
View previous topic