49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Opossum
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

This can happen because of Internet caching, or using buffers to store recently accessed data. I see this problem a lot, and it appears as if it's random. Everything usually works, but every once-in-a-while something goes wrong. The Internet Service Privider or someone up-stream could be caching, but usually it's a Windows issue, and hitting the REFRESH button solves the problem.

kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Last year we asked for your opinion on logging temporary caches at WGA events. Most of you who voiced an opinion said you would like to be able to log each temp cache. The board has listened and voted to adopt the following policy for WGA events where temp caches are placed:

# The WGA encourages each geocacher present for the official event photo (traditionally at 5pm) to log a "find" for the Event itself by logging "has attended" on the event webpage.

# The WGA shall neither require nor forbid anyone from logging temporary caches at any of our official events.

# The WGA will allow geocachers to log a "find" for any cache that geocachers have actually found. Admittedly, we are not able to police those logging caches or verify that geocachers have actually found the caches. We are using the honor system here and will assume that our fine members will not abuse it.

# All geocaches hidden at our events will follow the guidlines as set forth at www.geocaching.com for cache placement. However, exceptions will be made for the proximity and the obvious temporary nature of the event hides.

------
Ken Braband
WGA Secretary

Uncle_Fun
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A big thanks to the board for not only soliciting members opinions but also putting together a definitive statement. I for one, like the solution. Those who want to can, and those who don't want to don't.

After hiking 22 plus miles at the last campout, it was nice to be able to log more than one find.

Thanks again,
Uncle_Fun

OuttaHand
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

I, too, am happy to hear that as a final resolution. If people from other states want to "judge" our practice of logging each find, they really need to come check them out. I think they would soon see that each temp event cache is a real, genuine cache in its own right, and deserves to be logged as a find.

Bravo to the powers that be in arriving at this sensible decision.

purpleartichoke
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We're fairly new to the sport with less than 200 finds. About 30 logged finds of ours are event caches.
I do read the Geocaching.com boards once in a while and I get mad when Wisconsin's event caches get bashed. Unless they've actually attended an event, I don't think they have enough information to assume what quality of caches the event is made up of.
Because there is no specific way to log event caches other than the way we are now, I think we should be able to continue logging them this way. However, I think only caches requiring the use of a GPS should be allowed to be logged this way (which are the majority of event caches.) The cute table caches and caches hidden in desserts at events are fun for the kids to find but I don't think they're in the true spirit of Geocaching. I know I've felt funny logging them in as a find.
That's my 2 cents. . . .
I really appreciate the BOD asking for the opinions of WGA members before entering into a discussion about this in a formal setting. I think this just goes to prove what a great Geocaching Association we belong to!

LightningBugs Mum
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by purpleartichoke:
The cute table caches and caches hidden in desserts at events are fun for the kids to find but I don't think they're in the true spirit of Geocaching. I know I've felt funny logging them in as a find.
That's my 2 cents. . . .

I agree with you there. I enjoy them, but do not log them. However, I don't think I've ever seen a "pocket cache" at an official WGA event. Only at smaller events held by individuals have I seen them - and the WGA board has no authority over those.

------------------
Team LightningBugs

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I keep seeing the term "pocket cache" can some one explane the term for me...

AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Looking over the logs and posts, I decided it time to chime in with some diffeent perspective on the whole topic. All comments below are MY opinion.

In regards to events and logging temp finds, maybe we need to take a simpler approach and re-evaluate how we, in Wisconsin, do our events.

If the rest of the geocaching community seems to be extremely put off by the way we run our events, especially when it comes to logging the multitude of temporary event caches, maybe we need to give some serious consideration as to why. Are our Wisconsin events being held in what is the true spirit of an event cache?

Taken from GC.Com:
"In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches".

So how does the above statement not include the multitude of temporary event caches? Nearly every Wisconsin event we have been to in the last two years, including the ones we hosted, have all been about hunting the temporary caches. That might not have been the intent of these events, but it seems to be the main focus of them. It shows with the literally 100s of attended logs on nearly any Wisconsin event cache page.

Maybe its time we stop justifying the multitude of event logs with the typical common responses: "they never been to our events, they don't know the quality of our event hides" etc etc etc. and focus on holding events that are not about having temporary caches.

As for us in 2006, each GCxxx number = one log.

Katrina
AstroD-Team

Green Bay Paddlers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well heck - since we're all tossing opinions out there...

I think if people in Wisconsin want to gather once or twice a year and call it an "event," then let 'em.

If people at that event want to hide some caches and then hunt for them later on, then let 'em.

If people want to log those caches, then let 'em.

As I had stated on an earlier thread, the "numbers" are so tainted on Geocaching.com that the idea of this being some type of "sport" or "contest" is long gone. Logging caches seems to be way for people to keep track of what they have done. There really is no way to compare your "score" against a another team's tally.

The vocal minority on Geocaching.com's forums are not a huge concern of mine. Nor is the opinion of the Geocaching community as a whole. I've cached from one corner of this country to other. The rest of America's caches are no better than ours.

We've got something special in Wisconsin, let's keep it going. Until the Geocaching logging police show up at the next outing, I think we're safe.

Log 'em, don't log 'em... who cares?

ecorangers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Kat....congrats on saying your piece of mind. I think back to your latest event held in Green Bay. What an awesome event you put together for us! ALL of your temp. event caches had something to say about Green Bay.
Whether it was historical landmarks, Green Bay Packer/Lambeau landmarks (Vince Lombardi), cemeteries, Brett Favre Steakhouse, first newspaper, Carnegie Library, etc....your temp. caches brought us to places that were meaningful. You had a booklet put together with pictures at each cache site and some info explaining the significance or history behind it.
Not only were your temp. caches fun, they brought us to places we've never been to before, but most importantly they were educational. Not sure, where I am going with all of this but I'd hate to see other geocachers (yourself included) be discouraged from hosting an event like this using temp. hides. Tami

LightningBugs Mum
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Lostby7:
I keep seeing the term "pocket cache" can some one explane the term for me...

OK, I'm not sure where this term originated, but it refers to the log sheets that can be found and signed at events in places such as the inside the salt shaker, the cell phone, under the egg rolls, inside the ketchup squirter (yes, it's empty!), behind the flowers, on the elevator wall, inside the pumpkin at the check-in table.....

They are fun to find. Some people log them, some don't.
------------------
Team LightningBugs

[This message has been edited by LightningBugs Mum (edited 01-04-2006).]

djwini
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i guess i missed this thread when it first came out. what i would really like to see is separate cache from the event to log all the temp hides. something like "wga campout" and "wga campout caches" that way, we could have an accurate count of events, but still log the temp caches if we so desire.

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by AstroD-Team:
Taken from GC.Com:
"In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches".

So how does the above statement not include the multitude of temporary event caches? Nearly every Wisconsin event we have been to in the last two years, including the ones we hosted, have all been about hunting the temporary caches. That might not have been the intent of these events, but it seems to be the main focus of them. It shows with the literally 100s of attended logs on nearly any Wisconsin event cache page.

Katrina
AstroD-Team

As one of the GC.com admins, I can answer this question. We talking about two seperate things:

• Geocaching events that have temporary caches.
  • Events where the sole purpose is to gather geocachers for an organized hunt.

These are two seperate and distinct things. Geocaching.com does not allow events that are set up for the sole purpose of an organized hunt.

Here would be an example of an "organized hunt":
    GrouseTales creates an event page called something like: GrouseTales and friends conquor S/E Wisconsin. "We will be meeting at the park and ride and then heading out as a group to find as many caches in the area as possible. We might even try to find the dreaded mystery mayhem cache that no one has been able to find yet"

In this example, an event was set up to gather geocachers together so they can get credit and advisertise their group outing as they go out and find caches.

Many of these have been submitted in Wisconsin, but the guidelines have prohibited us from approving them. These types of events are better advertised in local forums.

Our WGA events exceed the minimum requirements for "events". The temporary caches are just part of the fun. The quoted guideline does not apply to temporary caches at a gathering that meets the criteria for an event.

Hopefully I didn't confuse everyone Image

[This message has been edited by GrouseTales (edited 01-08-2006).]
  •  

View next topic
    View previous topic