49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Team Honeybunnies
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, everybody's getting their coins, and they are amazing. Hats off. Now, with these being what I would consider a collectible coin, do we keep them, trade them, or put them in a cache probably never to be seen again?
We'll be saving one for keeps, and we'll be taking two to drop off on our honeymoon next year, but what to do with the other two?
I don't have much interest in the collecting aspect, no judgement on others. It seems like an interesting subset of the hobby.
More to the point, are the rest of you looking at releasing these? I just wonder if they'll travel or disappear.
I'd be truly curious to hear some opinions on the subject.

Cathunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Having had 4 out of 5 regular geocoins disappear within a month of their release, you can bet that I won't be releasing anymore.

From now on if I get the urge, I'll just leave a $5 bill in the cache. Much less painful than having expections.

Cheesehead Dave
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One will be a personal coin that I take to events and share the tracking number.

One will be left inactivated and used as a FtF prize for a future cache series.

The third one will be left inactivated and will be for trading for other coins. I've seen the plans for the Illinois Geocoin and I know of some folks down there who would like a WI coin but didn't order one and might want to trade.

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Cathunter:
Having had 4 out of 5 regular geocoins disappear within a month of their release, you can bet that I won't be releasing anymore..

Unfortunately this is occurring more often since geocoin collecting is becoming more of the thing to do. Other people who are releasing their coins out are defacing them in some manner to assure that they are not worth collecting. For example some are actually drilling a hole in the coin to attach a tag stating the coins purpose. This takes care of defacing the coin while letting those who may not know that the coins purpose is to travel not for keeps.

I bought two coins myself, one to permanently add to my coin collection (an actual coin collection) and the other to actually show around and hold. I do hope that those who bought several are able to release them and the coins travel without being stolen.

The WI coin to me does look great, I might be bias, and it would be a shame to have to drill a hole in the coin to insure its longevity.

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have no idea what I'm going to do with these coins Image. I bought 6 of them. 1 will keep my Canada and Moun10bike coins company.

The others may end up as special gifts. I have no intention of putting them in caches because I have a feeling they won't be circulated.

Come to think of it, I really only have room for 2 coins in my collection. Maybe I'll dump this crumby Moun10bike coin in a cache somewhere Image

AuntieNae
WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

How do others feel about releasing a "copy" of their coin? Geocoins seem to have a limited life out in circulation so this is an idea I have been considering. It would be a photocopy of the coin so the finder could see what they look like plus the goal tag, etc.

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by GrouseTales:
Maybe I'll dump this crumby Moun10bike coin in a cache somewhere Image

Are you serous?

EnergySaver
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bought 3 .... 1 as an unactivated "keepsake", the other 2 have been activated and will be dropped in caches (hopeful thinking I guess).

I've thought about keeping one of the activated ones with me and "logging miles" at caches we visit ... but with my slow internet connection, it's just too much of hassel to even think about it.

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Auntienae:
How do others feel about releasing a "copy" of their coin? Geocoins seem to have a limited life out in circulation so this is an idea I have been considering. It would be a photocopy of the coin so the finder could see what they look like plus the goal tag, etc.
Someone on GC.com already does that and some people have mixed feelings. The 1st time I saw a post about it a lot of people seem to be against it. Fast-forward to now and there is more support for it since people are getting tired of coins coming up missing. The guy uses some type of blank coin and adheres the photo copy to it.
A link to one of the post on GC.com

I personally think it’s a neat idea but on the other hand if I found a cache expecting to see a coin and came across a copy I would be seriously disappointed. It’s a different experience to hold an actual coin in hand and feel its weight and touch the design. If I wanted to see a photocopy I would just go to www.cointracking.com and look at everyone’s collection.

Until people stop stealing the coins a duplicate might be the best solution.

As with all things, not everyone going to like it.

LightningBugs Mum
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by GrouseTales:
Come to think of it, I really only have room for 2 coins in my collection. Maybe I'll dump this crumby Moun10bike coin in a cache somewhere Image

I can take care of that for you. Image

If I found a photocopy of a coin in a cache instead of the coin itself, I wouldn't log it but just leave it for someone else. But that's just me.

I have released 3 different coins. They are put in a flip holder with directions not to keep the coin in the other side of the flip. Frankly, I've had about the same results with my coins moving as I have with my regular travel bugs. Not bad, could be better.

I will be releasing one WI coin into the wild. One other will travel with me to events, and the rest will be for trades and maybe a few FTF prizes.

------------------
Team LightningBugs

NSLP#1
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I will be activating one to keep. I have already sent one out as trade of a 1st edition Canine Cacher coin.
I'm will keep some for future trades, and I'll release a couple and see how long they move about.

And afew for FTF prizes as well in future caches.
------------------
Mike of team: Not So Lost Puppies

[This message has been edited by NSLP#1 (edited 11-29-2005).]

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was just pulling your leg about the Moun10bike coin. That baby is a beauty and I have no intentions of letting it go. I could, however, be distracted by $500 and might not notice the coin missing Image

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm keeping one coin.

Sending one to my Florida Caching guide (Central Floridas Admin/Approver)- "The Federation" aka Greg!

The 3rd.. dunno yet!

Just want to thank my Home state caching buddy, Digital_Dan, for making the purchase. Thanks Buddy!!!

MajorBrat
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What? Was I supposed to order some for Bob and I to keep? Dang it! All I planned to do was send them to countries where others were unable to have them shipped via the WGA. Guess I should have ordered a few more!
Seriously ... I did order some for others in Canada and Japan and Australia, but we're not sure what we're doing with our personal ones. Most likely we will travel with one, and set one free. If you want to know where another will go you'll have to look at our profile or go to our event (GCREQM) on the 10th to find out.

As for the paper coin...yikes! It's bad enough to go to a cache and find that a bug is missing, but to go and find a paper replacement? Hmmmm...my opinion is that a paper coin would only be good in a paper cache, hidden off a paper trail in a paper park. But that's my opinion.

~MajorBrat

CB&MB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=281839

View next topic
View previous topic