49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

What would happen if we stopped tossing around the term "lame" to cast a dark label on any cache that, according to our personal judgment, we deem not worthy of our time even though the very nature of geocaching is a "pastime" hobby.

rubeeslpr
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

We're with you Ken. Different strokes for different folks. We find ourselves seeking different types of caches, depending on what that day may bring, how much time we have, where we are, etc. There is no need to brand caches as lame. It's all in the eye of the seeker. Cache how you want to, but don't judge what others do.

quote:
Originally posted by kbraband:
What would happen if we stopped tossing around the term "lame" to cast a dark label on any cache that, according to our personal judgment, we deem not worthy of our time even though the very nature of geocaching is a "pastime" hobby.

wzbt03
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think I listed some bullets as to what I considered a "lame" cache and your input with your bullets might be interesting discussion instead of just throwing bricks at my opinions.
There is way too much brick throwing around here whenever anyone voices their opinion.
Either offer something to the discussion or keep your bricks in your own yard.
Of course that is just my opinion.
There are very few who actually get into these discussions for that exact reason.
Perhaps there would be more people participate if they felt that they could say something without someone telling them they shouldn't say it.

I believe the discussion was:

What would happen if.....

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by rubeeslpr:
There is no need to brand caches as lame. It's all in the eye of the seeker.

Actually I think this post was trying to have the hider look at there own caches, so I see no problem with calling ones own caches lame. To be able to recognise that the cache is lackluster in some way is actually a good thing for everyone, don't you all want to leave people remembering there experience at your cache for along time?

[This message has been edited by hogrod (edited 12-31-2005).]

kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by wzbt03:
I think I listed some bullets as to what I considered a "lame" cache and your input with your bullets might be interesting discussion instead of just throwing bricks at my opinions.
There is way too much brick throwing around here whenever anyone voices their opinion.
Either offer something to the discussion or keep your bricks in your own yard.
Of course that is just my opinion.
There are very few who actually get into these discussions for that exact reason.
Perhaps there would be more people participate if they felt that they could say something without someone telling them they shouldn't say it.

I believe the discussion was:

What would happen if.....

Jeff, my apologies if you felt there is a brick contained in my message. Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean he or she is "throwing bricks" and saying you should not express your opinion.

[This message has been edited by kbraband (edited 12-31-2005).]

seekers8711
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by kbraband:

We agree! My wife and I have been members for a bit over 2 years and enjoy Geocaching very much. However, for us it really is a "pastime" and something we do when we have time and opportunity. We're not interested in numbers and we also don't think any caches are "lame". Yes, there are a few we haven't and probably will not do, but it is for our reasons and of no business to others.

We also agree with some of the comments of Team Honeybunnies; if you don't want to do a cache, don't do it. That does not make it lame.

Pretty One and I joined this hobby for exercise, problem solving and visiting new and unusual places. I think, IMHO, far too many are taking a "pastime" and making it far too serious.

Life is short, eat dessert first!

seekers8711

wzbt03
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Of course your right Seekers8711, some do take this way to serious.
Maybe I have too much fun seeing which ones I can get excited over the little things.

My New Years resolution..........

well I have until midnight to decide ....

Team Honeybunnies
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi wzbt03, we haven't had the opportunity to meet you yet. It's valid that there are caches out there yet that lack that certain something for the experienced cacher, heck maybe even for the novice cacher. They're not all gems. But they're our people. Some caches have gained reputations over time, and they're waiting for us. You haven't hit the cache count you're at without doing some serious caching, and I'd be interested in what caused you're change of heart. If I said I liked them all I'd be lying, but I am thankful that someone enjoyed hiding all of our finds. The sport has changed, probably before we started playing, but is it really irredeemable? No matter where it goes we'll still be walking in the woods and if we're lucky we'll meet you there.

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by wzbt03:

Bad Caches

What would happen if everyone who had a lame cache, picked it up and archived it?
Could everyone just look at their own caches and say:

1- Did I bring them to a special place?
2- Was the hunt unique in some way?
3- Is there historical, social or human importance associated with the cache?
4- Did I challenge the hunter in some way?
5- Was the hide clever or camo in a new way?
If the answer is yes, then these caches are of the type that should be out there.

Saw this topic the other nite, but it was late and looked a bit too heavy duty for a blonde brain, like mine, to comprehend at a late hour. So... I waited.

When I put my caches out, I think about those very items listed above. Sometimes I get caches out there then re-think them, wondering if they are too easy or in a dumb place. Then I remember that this sport is NOT just adults and we need some that the lil ones can enjoy too. I figure, if they are at least at a place that would be of interest, then that's my main objective for placement. Sure they are easy for the general cacher, but for those little ones, I KNOW they have a very good chance of finding them.

I also consider the type of cache. Again, I would LOVE to have larger ones with all kinds of goodies in them but some of the areas I bring people to have limited availability for such a cache of larger stature, but I really would like them to visit.

My Fishin' Hole series always brings me back to those questions. Talk about limited area for placement!!! Some of them are postage stamp size and almost impossible to make a hide, but I did it. Sure, some are VERY simple, but that's ok I tell myself. The KIDS will enjoy it and the adults, I HOPE, enjoy the visit in general.

While caching in another state, I began coming across cache after cache after cache that was a "Wal-mart" style hide. Gosh.. it got boring and I started to get VERY frustrated and rather bored. After a little down time, I began to think, "Maybe a younger child placed this and it IS exciting for them, or maybe a new cacher unsure of where to hide." I began accepting what was hide and appreciated what the cache owner did as well as the Numbers racking up.

Oh yeah......it's NOT about the numbers {{{giggle}}}

What it comes down to, in my lil pea-brain, is that I am not one to judge what others feel is a good or exciting hide. Good for them, they're getting out and doing it!!! Lame in one mans mind is awesome in another. Yup...like that one mans junk, one mans treasure comment...perfect analogy!

My 1 cent!! Too broke after the holidays to offer 2 cents, as long as it MAKES cents.. I mean sense!!!

[This message has been edited by Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu (edited 01-01-2006).]

zuma4now
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

Interesting topic, with many good points all ready made. I clipped and pasted the following excerpt from the MO cache approvers notes, a note that it seems that they make when approving caches that I think is very much on target:

>>>>"Since your new cache seems to have all the required parts, not closer than 0.1 mile from any other caches, not near a railway and you are close enough to properly maintain it, it has been listed on the GC.com site. As a cache placer,* you * have the unique ability to improve (or degrade) the quality of Geocaching in your area. I hope that this cache will be a positive addition. <<<<

zuma

Bushwhacking Queen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by zuma4now:

>>>>"Since your new cache seems to have all the required parts, not closer than 0.1 mile from any other caches, not near a railway and you are close enough to properly maintain it, it has been listed on the GC.com site. As a cache placer,* you * have the unique ability to improve (or degrade) the quality of Geocaching in your area. I hope that this cache will be a positive addition. <<<<

zuma

True.

djwini
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i don't think easy should equate with "lame". i don't like spending my leisure time searching a 50 foot area of the woods for a half hour or more, trying to find a cache. i do like a nice little walk in the woods, with the reward of finding the cache at the end of it. and the woods don't natter. even if it is just a little local park, just being out there instead of sitting in the house watching tv or sitting at my computer like a mouse potato, makes it a great day!

greyhounder
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For some of the caches people think are too easy, and not worthy, these may be accessible caches. I'd like to see more of these types.

Bec

CLSx2
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Before I read the rest of this thread I want to respond. I don't mind the easy caches, what I do mind is the junk (literally) that is in them. I am not expecting to find a treasure, but something that is useful, cute, or a small trinket for my son. Four of the six finds we have so far were filled with moldy and/or very used toys. I don't mind used, but these should have been trashed. Ok so back to the "lame" caches. I am just happy to have something get me off the couch and out of the house, at this point in my life (I am 30) I am out of shape, over weight, and have a few health problems, I just needed something that could be done as a family and still be special every time we went out. The easy caches help my son stay excited about geocaching, he had is first find on our 5th cache, and just the glowing grin was worth it even though the cache was water damaged. I do think that there is a need for all types of caches, from very easy to difficult. I have plans to hide 2 caches, one will be a very easy micro urban cache by where I work as a way for me to meet other cachers who are willing to stop by the cache. I plan on putting "coupons" in the cache that they will bring to me right after findinf it to get a small trinket and to meet them. The other cache will be in my Mom's backyard off of HWY 36 in Windlake once the foliage is back. It will be easy to get to, however it will be camo'd well. Since I work 6 days a week and so does hubby, we don't have a lot of time for caching, so for now the easy to reach are great.

Ok enough rambling...
Crystal

NSLP#1
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Please make sure that if you place a cache on private property that the neighbors are well informed about it, and even the local law enforcement. We had an unfortunate experience with a private propery cache because the neighbors did not know about it, nor did the local law enforcement. Had my wife not stayed in the car for it, we would have been confronted by an officer with his gun drawn in the middle of the woods.

View next topic
View previous topic