49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm posting this message as an individual of the board, and not on behalf of the board.

I'm always looking for input on what the WGA can be doing to help our members. I would like be more active in advancing certain causes. Advancing projects. Filling a need in our community.

Some of our ability to fill these needs is by Strength in numbers, physical manpower, and financially.

WZBT03 mentioned he would like to see the WGA purchase GPS units with some of our funds. This may be a good idea if we have a need for it. If there is a need, then I think it's a good idea, but I'd like to hear what the specific needs are. Perhaps presenters need additional GPS units as tool for their presentations?

A year or so ago, one of our members suggested we purchase a banner to be used at presentations and events. We thought it was a great idea and purchased the banner.

So I ask you this, what ideas do you folks have? If you have a suggestion, please post it, along with an explanation why it would be useful. I'd really love to hear some great ideas.
  • GPS units
  • Banner
  • ?

------------------
    "There are two kinds of hunting: ordinary hunting and grouse hunting."
    -Aldo Leopold, A sand county Almanac

Brian
    WGA President
    Grousetales at wi-geocaching dot com
    KC9GMW
  •  
    EnergySaver
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

At the moment a specific item does not come to mind ... but I just got to think there would be a potential for WGA to provide more assistance with Events held in Wisconsin that are NOT WGA officially sponsored. If we're "all WGA" and I believe that ALL events bolster geocaching in our state, maybe there's something the WGA can do to help to that end.

This is not a critizism of any lack of support in the past. It's just the first "positive improvement" that comes to my mind.

Maybe someone else will latch on to this suggestion and throw out some examples.

If they are "reusable" things, the cost of shipping them around should be considered (so maybe a small "geocaching event" banner, for example); or if it's something that is "given away" it should not be taking to the WGA budget (so maybe some little WGA stickers or something, again something easy to ship to the event chairperson).

jthorson
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to see an educational fund that can be tapped by any WGA member who is giving a presentation, seminar, etc.

The funds would be used for copying costs for flyers or handouts, fees for presentation rooms, etc.

As with all things, there would need to be guidelines and limits, but thats for people with a higher pay grade than me Image

Lostby7
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Jeff, possibly along with this fund could be a training guide for the presenter in a PDF or something so that more of us can pull off an event without looking like a noob.

OuttaHand
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like two of the ideas presented above:

Financial help with non-WGA events would be nice. I've attanded a couple that were GOOD events. With just a touch of help from WGA they may have achieved "great".

Also, the packets of material for presentations is interesting. But if packets are to be made, lets include a portion of the presentation (or a complete separate presentating) that could be geared toward a group of lawmakers or law enforcement.
    What I'm saying here is if there was some official presentation material provided by WGA, a geocacher could approach their local Sheriff's department and offer to educate the deputies on what a cache is, etc.

We've all heard the stories of caches being blown up because they were thought to be bombs. Yes -- many of those are badly-placed caches. But some are not. And a little education of law enforcement could help.

LightningBugs Mum
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
    Originally posted by OuttaHand:
    Also, the packets of material for presentations is interesting. But if packets are to be made, lets include a portion of the presentation (or a complete separate presentating) that could be geared toward a group of lawmakers or law enforcement.
    What I'm saying here is if there was some official presentation material provided by WGA, a geocacher could approach their local Sheriff's department and offer to educate the deputies on what a cache is, etc.

I think this is a great idea. If we had something like this, then we could recruit members to go out and do this as a type of community service.

I would also like to see something in the packet geared specifically for parks departments that would incude information from other park departments that have established symbiotic relationships with the geocaching community - Waukesha and Greenfield come immediately to mind. I think parks people may be more open-minded about geocaching when they can see how other communities have benefited.

------------------
    Team LightningBugs

Lostby7
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Team Lightning Bugs has a great point...

"I think parks people may be more open-minded about geocaching when they can see how other communities have benefited."

Just look at the Waukesha Winter Jamboree for example; we had easily a couple hundred cachers in town buying and eating in the local shops. This is in addition to all the visits we make to the town on non-event days to visit local caches.

As far as the parks go, busy parks are happy parks. And there is a scheduled CITO event scheduled in Waukesha shortly as well. We have some impact everywhere we go, and the park and community leaders should be made aware of it.

Lostby7
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

In addition, I asked permission to place a cache in Pewaukee and was asked by two government authorities about liability issues and other concerns. Rather than addressing these issues, I dropped my planned cache. In retrospect I should have asked for help here....A guidebook covering these topics would be nifty to have.

I have to believe something like this already exists somewhere?

GrouseTales
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Good suggestions folks.

Just a couple thoughts. We did have a video project in the works. I believe the video was aimed towards park personnel and municipalities. The project was put on hold because some DNR staff didn't have the OK to appear I video (I believe this is what happened). Maybe it's time to start exploring the video again. I think it's a great idea!

As far as resources, I think an educational mission is a wise use of financial resources. Educating people and park managers will help ensure that future generations of geocachers have the same opportunites as us.

Brochures are good. Rather then us printing up a bunch, it might be nice to at least design some nice materials which could be downloaded from our website. Members giving presentations might find it easier to download a few pages for handout.

Maybe someone needs a computer projector and doesnt have one. Would having a project available for loan to presenters be beneficial?

Would having a handful of inexpensive gps units available for loan be useful?

Maybe a nicer banner or and some sort of presentation displays?

Just thinking out loud here.

GrouseTales
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
    Originally posted by Lostby7:
    ....A guidebook covering these topics would be nifty to have.

I have to believe something like this already exists somewhere?

Would this be a guidebook for geocachers, or for to give the municipality? Could you expand a little bit on this idea?

Lostby7
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
    Originally posted by GrouseTales:
    Would this be a guidebook for geocachers, or for to give the municipality? Could you expand a little bit on this idea?

Perhaps a sheet which can be copied (or Down loaded as a PDF) which directly addresses the common concerns a community official would have with cache placement. Perhaps a Q & A sheet which would anticipate and address police and Park & Rec dept questions.
    Addressing liability issues, how to get cache seekers to adhere to park regulations, the likely impact the cache would have on the environment etc.

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
    Originally posted by GrouseTales:
    Brochures are good. Rather then us printing up a bunch, it might be nice to at least design some nice materials which could be downloaded from our website. Members giving presentations might find it easier to download a few pages for handout.

Maybe someone needs a computer projector and doesnt have one. Would having a project available for loan to presenters be beneficial?

Would having a handful of inexpensive gps units available for loan be useful?

Maybe a nicer banner or and some sort of presentation displays?

I love the ideas of having things available for people to borrow, but the hard part is picking them up. I guess I would not mind taking a drive to Milwaukee or some place within an hr+ to pick items up, but some people might not be able to do that. So, to think out loud with you....Wonder how we could make things readily available for everyone to utilize?? Hmmm

As for brochures...love `em. I made one up to use at the OwlFest at which we had a display of caching "STUFF" so people could learn about the sport, etc. I would be MORE than happy to let others view it to see if it's something they could use. It "AIN'T" fancy, but helpful.

Trudy and the beast
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
    Originally posted by Lostby7:
    Perhaps a sheet which can be copied (or Down loaded as a PDF) which directly addresses the common concerns a community official would have with cache placement. Perhaps a Q & A sheet which would anticipate and address police and Park & Rec dept questions.
    Addressing liability issues, how to get cache seekers to adhere to park regulations, the likely impact the cache would have on the environment etc.

Would this help? http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/brochure1.pdf

Lostby7
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
    Originally posted by Trudy & the beast:
    Would this help? http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/brochure1.pdf

I have seen this and in fact carry a few copies to pass along to peeps who "catch me in the act." I think it answers a lot of questions but there are still others which go unanswered from a governing body’s point of view.

I was thinking of a document that could be used to identify common questions that government personnel would be likely ask and answers to these questions. My hope is that a cacher could go into a situation more educated and prepared when attempting to gain the all important “PERMISSION.” I'm a big fan of gaining permissions, and I'd like to see more people gain them as well. Perhaps a Q&A document could help in this regard.

I realize that each placement is unique but I think most of the same questions would be asked by officials. For example by using the Geocaching.com website to find a cache one is agreeing to accept all liability for seeking a cache. Has anyone ever tested this one in real life? Will a municipality see that statement and accept it as a release from liability for them? I’m not sure. But it is there on each cache page and could be pointed out to officials. I know there are other items of interest which could be included.

djwini
    WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i was just reading about how the parks system in milwaukee is going to have to cut back on services because they are way over budget. i think getting the wga involved in more cito in the parks would be a great thing to do.

View next topic
    View previous topic