49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Gypsy Rose
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I have found the worst way to go paperless. This is being in a hurry to go and cache, aren't we all, and not bringing any notes what so ever. I mean no paper, no PDA, no laptop, just your GPSr with the downloaded waypoints. Not a good idea, I had no idea what size I was looking for or even if it was a vitural or not. But I still found 4 of the 6 I went looking for. Now I have to go back and get the info I need to log the 5th one.

Buy_The_Tie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't that called Colombus caching? You know... out to discover the new world and all?

marc_54140
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yah, sort of exciting, isn't it!

Gypsy Rose
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yes it was a lot of fun. But we did have an earthcache that we spent 15-30 Min looking for a cache at. We called it a day and when we got back we found out that there was no cache there. Now we have to go back and answer the question to log the cache.

CB&MB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yikes! Bob and I often do this, but on purpose. Sometimes we don't look at the PDA unless we get there and can't find the cache. Ususally one of us is sitting at the finder's tree only moments after arriving to the suspect area. (And if he's found too many that day, I cheat! I let him walk in front of me so A) I get a better view, and B) I can peek at the PDA without him seeing me...I fess up though after beating him to the tree.

MB

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's the reason bogus coordinates for mystery caches need to be in a spot that is "obviuosly wrong". Many people (myself included), have looked for a cache on their gps screen without having the cache info. If the coordinats put you in the middle of a parking lot or lake, you discover something might be wrong Image

Cache_boppin_BunnyFuFu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Been there..done that! Sometimes it is more fun and challenging. Unless you find out the coords are waaaaaay off. If two of us go out without info, one looks at the site for micro and small and the other looks for the larger. get in a mind set and it really helps..........sometimes LOL

abcdmCachers
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Even though I usually have my PocketPC along, I still like to change the icons in my GPSr to give an indication of what I'm looking for those times I don't have it or leave it in the car. It's easy to customize the icons using GSAK. Since the GPSr icons don't exactly match the geocaching.com icons, you'll have to experiment to see which ones are most meaninful to you. Here's the mapping I use for my Garmin 60c:

Traditional = Geocache
Multi = Stadium (kind of looks like 3 flags)
Event = Bar
Virtual = Bell (kind of looks like the geocaching.com virtual)
Web Cam = Live Theater (smile and sad face)
Mystery = Information (as in need more info)
Earth = Airport
Micro Cache = Medical Facility (they can be painful after all)

Of course the downside to doing this is that the next nearest cache feature that Garmin provides doesn't work because it only looks for nearest waypoints that use the geocache icon. This doesn't really bother me since I rarely use that feature anyway.

As long as I'm at it, here's what I use for the generated waypoint description:
(%Dif/%Ter)%bug=* %Name by %By

For example this generates: (2/1)* Geocache Name by abcdmCachers
* indicates there is a travel bug present in the cache. Of course Garmin will cut off the end if the name is too long (why in this day and age of cheap memory Garmin has description length and waypoint limits is beyond me).

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by abcdmCachers:
It's easy to customize the icons using GSAK. Since the GPSr icons don't exactly match the geocaching.com icons, you'll have to experiment to see which ones are most meaninful to you. Here's the mapping I use for my Garmin 60c:

Traditional = Geocache
Multi = Stadium (kind of looks like 3 flags)
Event = Bar
Virtual = Bell (kind of looks like the geocaching.com virtual)
Web Cam = Live Theater (smile and sad face)
Mystery = Information (as in need more info)
Earth = Airport
Micro Cache = Medical Facility (they can be painful after all)

I do the exact same thing with a twist. download the free program from garmin called ximage. with this you can upload a custom set of icons to your gps, I found some online that are cache type icons.
there is a trick to getting gsak and your gps to know what icons to use, you need to create a text file in the gsak folder called garminother.txt

in this file you need to tell gsak this icon is this one in the gps.
EXAMPLE of garminother.txt
Custom 0 ; cacheV
Custom 1 ; cacheT

one last step, when you go to send waypoints to your gpsr, you need to change the gps symbols to reflect the garminother.txt

now when you send waypoints you will always get the cache type for the icon. I prefer this to the open/closed treasure box. this is by far a compleat explanation of how to do this, but if anyone wants to know more feel free to ask.

EDIT: I made a simple howto and zipped my custom icons, I posted the file online so if anyone is interested I could post a link.

[This message has been edited by hogrod (edited 02-28-2006).]

WIsearcher
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I tried to start off paperless and that didnít work out so good but after a couple months, Iím back to paperless with a few caveats. I have queries that run on geocaching.com that give me several different gpx files for different locations I frequently travel too. All of this information is downloading into my explorist 210. I guess this thing is like a combo of a PDA/GPS? It has special icons for geocaches which I can flick on and off in the map mode. The type of cache is there and I can tell on the screen if it is a multi or regular but not the size.

Before I go, I usually will browse online to get a few in my head then when Iím out there I have some I know I wanted to do so when I look a them on the map at least I have some knowledge to make a choice on.

The problems with going paperless:
No parking coords
Puzzles have to be solved and entered manually
Missed more than one bonus because I didnít know it existed until I went to log my find
No foreknowledge of travel bugs and such but usually something like that is a nice surprise and not really a problemÖ.
Long cache names that all start with the same characters (you know who you are) are truncated so they all appear the same in the list mode. When I was hunting these, I had to manually make them in shorter in the file before uploading it so I could differentiate between them in the field.

Away, I have had NO paper with me except for kleenex, not even a map for weeks and weeks and Iím really happy. I really donít like paper all that much in the wild. Itís very hydroscopic and starts to absorb moisture immediately.

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Trudy & I have been doing a lot of Columbus caching for the past several months. To give ourselves a fair chance, we only download Traditional caches. As long as we clear the GPS before we load the new list, we will do alright. during our last couple of Columbus caching adventures, we averaged over 90%...

Clues? We don't need no stinkin' clues! ~tb Image

[This message has been edited by Trudy & the beast (edited 03-25-2006).]

TeamSWAG
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have done this on a few occations, most of the time when I just forgot my cache notes. I actually called my wife of the cell phone one time and had her track down the notes and give me the clue. Image I only found about half of the caches when I went out without any notes at all, and then I'm usually kicking myself after I get home and read the clue. So it's not as fun as regular caching in my book, but still better than no caching at all.

Mike

NSLP#1
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by WIsearcher:

The problems with going paperless:
No parking coords
Puzzles have to be solved and entered manually
Missed more than one bonus because I didnít know it existed until I went to log my find
No foreknowledge of travel bugs and such but usually something like that is a nice surprise and not really a problemÖ.
Long cache names that all start with the same characters (you know who you are) are truncated so they all appear the same in the list mode. When I was hunting these, I had to manually make them in shorter in the file before uploading it so I could differentiate between them in the field.

Away, I have had NO paper with me except for kleenex, not even a map for weeks and weeks and Iím really happy. I really donít like paper all that much in the wild. Itís very hydroscopic and starts to absorb moisture immediately.

GSAK lets you do all sorts of changes to the cache name/description when you export to GPS. I've gone to doing %drop2 for the ID (it drops off the "GC" making it easier to alpha search)
and then something like:
%typ1 %con1 %diff/%terr %name %own
for the description.
Gives you the type (Multi/Regular/puzzle) container size (Regular, Small, Micro)
Difficulty/terrain
Cache name
owner

of course that is only up to the character limit of descriptions in your gpsr waypoints.

I really like the added bonus of the PDA, it does let you do the puzzles, as well as know about bonus waypoints and parking info. You can easily get a PDA for under $50 that will work just fine for caching.

ps: I'm planning to host another paperless training soon. I will post in these forums when it is planned.

[This message has been edited by NSLP#1 (edited 03-28-2006).]

draconis dave
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've only done that accidentally. A trip up to northern Kettle Morraine had me leaving the house without my cache prinouts.

JD and I did fairly well. As I remember, we only didn't find a couple out of about a dozen. Sometimes knowing what's coming prevents us from even trying a cache. Maybe the cache looks too involved, or too many stages or whatever.

Now, when I'm going out of the area, I upload the cache pages to my laptop, and look at them in the vehicle, but not on the trail. I also use a system in the icons to descerne the types in my GPSR(like others have mentioned)

View next topic
View previous topic