49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
cheezehead
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cheesehead Dave wrote:

I am in the proceess of submitting 12 new caches. Can I use this logo for the bottom of the page?

I should have them all typed up and ready by next week.

And just oyt of couriosty, what would it look like in red? Red as in Wisconsin Badger red. Red and White our state colors... kind of aren't they?

shrek and fiona
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like it but I hate the color

CB&MB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

kbraband wrote:
CB&MB wrote:
It's not bad, but before everyone goes too nuts, if the "board" is going to vote on changing the logo, I think TWO things should happen first.

1. They should realize that it's not just their decision whether or not it should be changed. That decision belongs to the body of membership.

2. If there will be a new logo chosen, the ENTIRE membership should be allowed to design one. Then the designs should be opened up for a vote.

1. Actually, it IS their decision. They are our elected decision-making body.
2. I agree. But again, opening it up to to the entire member is also up to the board.

SPOKEN LIKE A FORMER BOARD MEMBER (and "founder")

I guess I missed the page in the bi-laws that said the BOD was the sole decision making group in the WGA. To include changing our logo.

Gee, silly me, I thought "they" were elected to plan "our" picnic and camp-out. And to buy a griddle that "we" aren't allowed to use at "our" events unless "they" say so. And to tell "us" how much money "we" have sitting in "our" bank account, while asking "us" to give more so it can sit there as well. And to try to control all of Geocaching in the state of Wisconsin, while forgetting that without Groundspeak none of us would be here.

And then of course there's the fact that the board didn't want anything to do with creating the WI coin, until someone came along with enough vision and drive to push it through...it was almost like they figured out how much money they could add to the bank account and decided to jump in and take, at least partial, credit for their creation. Like the rest of us wouldn't know where they initiated. And let's not forget the "free" coins that were supposed to be handed out to people that the board deemed "worthy" of receiving them. (And didn't they tell us to nominate people we thought should have one?...Have any of those nominated gotten one?)

And for goodness sakes, please don't even think about suggesting parks for the next picnic and/or camp-out. Those suggestions should only be made and voted on by the BOD...or did they vote to allow the rest of us a vote in those choices?

Am I a bit bitter? Yes, I guess I am. I'm tired of people trying to tell me that the WGA BOD is the only voice worth hearing in the state. Hey, I know, while we're at it, why not stop allowing the body to vote on COTM and just have the board pick it. And why not lock the "reply" link in the forums to everyone except the board? That way we can all be as brainwashed as...well, nevermind.

FOR THE RECORD: It's not the entire BOD that I'm upset with. Some are doing good things. It's the ones who sit in their bubbles thinking their poop (Am I allowed to say "poop" here or should I say "dung?") doesn't stink that tick me off so bad!

Buy_The_Tie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh my! Embarassed

It is my understanding that any decisions made on behalf of the club ultimately *ARE* made by the Board Of Directors.

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yikes, this turned ugly! Shocked

Dave, I think Red and white is a GREAT idea. I do like the green, but would like the red just as much or more. Green goes with caching, but red is, well like you said, our state colors.

I just coppied the red from the Badgers web page and used it to edit your new logo. It looks REALLY good!

CB&MB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Buy_The_Tie wrote:
Oh my! Embarassed

It is my understanding that any decisions made on behalf of the club ultimately *ARE* made by the Board Of Directors.

WOW! Sorry for thinking that the BOD was a democratic body! Sorry for being under the impression that even though we know the BOD has the final word, it would allow the lowly members who voted them in to offer opinions that "ultimately" matter to the entire "club"...

Sadly, I see more and more why people step away from the WGA as a whole.

Oh and while we're all so impressed with "Dave's design" of a logo (which I do like), I wonder if anyone else (besides the two of us) has noticed that there are a lot of political signs and billboards using his design for candidates in various races this year. Hmmmmm, Dave's design or plagiarism?...I wonder!

cheezehead
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

cheezehead wrote:
Cheesehead Dave wrote:

I am in the proceess of submitting 12 new caches. Can I use this logo for the bottom of the page?

I should have them all typed up and ready by next week.

And just oyt of curiosity, what would it look like in red? Red as in Wisconsin Badger red. Red and White our state colors... kind of aren't they?

WOW! I was just asking for permission to use the logo. I wasn't looking for the rest of the crap. I thought i was having fun caching until I started to read that other stuff. I guess I now need to be in a foul mood too.

** Cheezeehad deleted this part of the post on 9-12-06**

Sorry wasn't trying to start something. I should have ask these questions in a diffrent post.

Last edited by cheezehead on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total 
Cheesehead Dave
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CB&MB wrote:
Buy_The_Tie wrote:
Oh my! Embarassed

WOW! Sorry for thinking that the BOD was a democratic body! Sorry for being under the impression that even though we know the BOD has the final word, it would allow the lowly members who voted them in to offer opinions that "ultimately" matter to the entire "club"...

Oh and while we're all so impressed with "Dave's design" of a logo (which I do like), I wonder if anyone else (besides the two of us) has noticed that there are a lot of political signs and billboards using his design for candidates in various races this year. Hmmmmm, Dave's design or plagiarism?...I wonder!

Not that I'm discounting your opinions, but please start a new thread instead of derailing this one.

And for the record, that style of design is a fairly common one. I didn't steal it from any political signs.

I "stole" it from the WSGA... wink

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cheesehead Dave wrote:
CB&MB wrote:
Buy_The_Tie wrote:
Oh my! Embarassed

Not that I'm discounting your opinions, but please start a new thread instead of derailing this one.

And for the record, that style of design is a fairly common one. I didn't steal it from any political signs.

I "stole" it from the WSGA... wink

Sorry Dave, didn't mean to take attention away from you or your design...oh wait, you said you didn't design it, that you "stole" it. Funny how you only mentioned where you got it from when I called you out on it! Until then, you were more than willing to let people think it was all yours.

If in fact the BOD does decide for themselves that they want a new logo. I hope the one they decide is best for ALL OF US is better than one copied from some other website. You know, a truly original design.

As for the new thread, NO! I won't start another one...this is where people started talking about all of the "crap"...this is where I will continue to reply to it. If you want a new thread started, lock this one and start a new one yourself.

Talking about the logo and the design that you showed everyone is NOT derailing the topic. Asking me open a new thread providing my opinion is being chicken shi#. It's hiding from why this has gone on so long...

Gram and Gramps
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I rarely read the discussion boards on geocaching.com because of all the bickering, nitpicking, and personal slams. This started out as an interesting thread, but seemed to degenerate.

Let's not turn this into a geocaching.com forum!

Grandpa

Team Hemisphere Dancer
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Gram&Gramps wrote:

Right on

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Areed!

Scrappy Scout

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

being new to geocaching this is kinda turning me off from posting things and replying to things i thought this was supposed to be a fun thing game whatever not a cat fight between people i mean come on cant we all just get along and have fun.

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

cheezehead wrote:

But since it;s being talked about, Like every thing in Wisconsin, everything deals with the south. It's like everything above Eau Claire doesn't count. Yes I understand the majority of members are from the southern part of the state. Here is an example. How many Caches of the month have been nominated from the north part of the state? How many members have actually gone caching in Sawyer, Washburn,Bayfield, Douglas, Burnette and Price counties? When was the last Geo-caching event in any one of those counties. How many board members are there from those counties?

First, don't feel you are being left out on purpose. People will naturally work on issues closest to home. There are quite a few caches nominated that are north of Eau Claire, and even more that are right at the same latitude as Eau Claire. There are (I believe, working from memory) that there are 5 COTM winners north of Eau Claire, and somewhere around 25 nominees. The Adventure Begins (in Superior) almost won a couple months ago. (I assume Superior still counts as north of Eau Claire.) If you want more nominees, then nominate the great caches that you find up there. A lot of people use the nominees as a kind of "to do" list.

With regard to the other stuff, that is up to you. You can host an event, you can run for the board, you can vote for board candidates from your area, and you can be as involved as you like. You can also encourage others in your area to get more involved. You can place more caches, which is sounds like you are already doing, to bring people into the area to find them. The more you put into the sport, the more you will get out of it. You can't expect someone from Kenosha to drive up to Hayward to host an event for you to attend, but you would be surprised how many people would come up to a Hayward event if you hosted it (even from Kenosha).

I would suggest that, if you really want to start a discussion on this topic, you should start a new thread entitled "How can we get more geocaching involvement in Northern Wisconsin." If you want help hosting an event, ask on the boards. If you want to run for the board, get out to every event you can and meet people. And, most importantly, don't take this too seriously. Enjoy the sport for what it is, an enjoyable activity for sharing time in nature with friends and family. Everything else is just window dressing.

CB&MB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Team Hemisphere Dancer wrote:
Gram&Gramps wrote:

Right on

Team Hemisphere Dancer wrote:
If the stats bother you, Don't look at them!!

Maybe you should follow your own advice and not look at the forums.

View next topic
View previous topic