49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
decdogg
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Could start with a group picture of all WGA members. As we are unique and diverse.

Shocked

Carvelli
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

How about a mascot like deer? A geo-buck! I'm sure WI geocachers seem many of them while out. Saw two yesterday while out.

NSLP#1
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't suggesting we also place an arbitrary limit on the number of coins produced. I like the way it was done last year... open orders for WGA members for a period of time, and then open it to the GC forum views for a week. And use those quantities to determine how many get made.

Maybe we could do something like the USA geocoin, offer it for around a year. I know there are new cachers that would like to have a souvenier of places they have cached, that would give them the opportunity, even if they miss the initial offering. I think Texas has done something like that before as well.

It appears that some of the offerings at some of the stores are not limited editions, though they had a LE edition that you couldn't buy if you didn't buy the regular as well. That gives the collectors a collectable, and lets others still buy them later. (quite afew of the coins at geoswag appear to be selling in that manner)

That is true about Crake having some older coins left, but few of his coins have direct geocaching ties, that greatly reduces their desirability for many cachers.

I haven't purchased any non-organizational coins in a very long time. but I did purchase the most recent Texas, and Alabama offerings. I figure that the money for those will at least go to something that may further the cause of geocaching instead of lining someones pockets. And I know there is a large group of those collectors, and they will buy organization coins, and then the other group that buys anything will also buy them.

Also, going with a $6 or so coin again will also greatly increase the sales since everyone is currently used to paying clost to $10. I know I would probably buy at least $50 worth of them, I have afew from last year out as travellers (though some went missing) and have afew more yet to release.

PCFrog wrote:
Making an LE and only 800 of other still makes them collectable defeating the original post of making more so they are not so valuable to steal.

I still see coins that Crake (not sure I got that right) who makes good coins still trying to unload coins that he had made. I'm not against another coin just making sure issues are thought about.

Lets see how well Alabama does.

NSLP#1 wrote:
I know I would like to see another WGA 'state' coin.
I know Alabama just started taking orders for 1000 coins (800 regular, 200 LE)
I think there is probably enough demand for another one being made. Probably wont be able to get a 2006, unless there is already one in the works.

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've got to disagree on just one part, and it's only my opinion. I would very much like an elaborate and therefor, somewhat costly coin.

I'm not a rich man, but I'd pay good money for a good coin, and a lot of others would too I suspect. I think if we made a coin as nice as say, the 2006 Compass Rose, or Christopher Rake's Sun-catcher translucent coin, everyonewould want one regardless of the cost.

NSLP#1
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

tyedyeskyguy wrote:
I've got to disagree on just one part, and it's only my opinion. I would very much like an elaborate and therefor, somewhat costly coin.

I'm not a rich man, but I'd pay good money for a good coin, and a lot of others would too I suspect. I think if we made a coin as nice as say, the 2006 Compass Rose, or Christopher Rake's Sun-catcher translucent coin, everyonewould want one regardless of the cost.

But then almost none of them would ever be released to travel, which is what I though was the point of geocoins. Though elaborate doesn't have to mean costly. many would think our 2005 was very elaborate, but not very costly.

Elaborate design doesn't affect minting cost, colors and size do though.

Though I would request that our coin not have such an extreme thickness (granted it was only at one spot) which prevents use of common acrylic holders.

Carvelli
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just threw this together in Photoshop. Might make a nice "tails" side.

Very Happy

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

NSLP#1 wrote:
tyedyeskyguy wrote:

But then almost none of them would ever be released to travel, which is what I though was the point of geocoins. Though elaborate doesn't have to mean costly. many would think our 2005 was very elaborate, but not very costly.

Elaborate design doesn't affect minting cost, colors and size do though.

Though I would request that our coin not have such an extreme thickness (granted it was only at one spot) which prevents use of common acrylic holders.

Good point.

I'd buy one for myself, and one or more to travel, but I'm not sure everyone would be willing to do that.

PCFrog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

NSLP#1 wrote:

Smile The coin does have some good weight for it size. I have other coins same size in diameter or larger but they don’t seem to have the in hand weight as the WI coin does.

The main thing I think that needs to happen since quite a few people here are eyeing the idea of a 2007 coin is to make sure the BOD of WGA is behind this effort. To truly be a WGA coin it has to have the BOD and WGA backing. IMHO

I personally like I said would be interested to see how well Alabama does with their sales. Waiting for their sales will in no way hold up the lengthy process of design setup if the BOD and WGA go for a new coin.

Also for those who might be wondering I will not volunteer to do a new coin, just put in my two cents worth as a member.

Also, if this is going to be pursued further get this topic out of the “New member Forum” and over to “general” or “announcements”.

NSLP#1
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Can someone close or lock this thread then, now that we have a thread in the general forum for a 2007 coin?

View next topic
View previous topic