49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
SirPoonga
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, anyone in central WI. I look a the cache map and there isn't much for caches here Image

The Lil Otter
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know how you must feel (smiles).. No, there are not alot of geocachers/caches hidden up in central Wisconsin. Where are you located?

~The Lil Otter

SirPoonga
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I just looked at the wisconsin density map. Nope, like nothing in central wisconsin north of marshfield.

I live west of marshfield. I have found a couple of your hides on my way to minneapolis (where I have been living for the last 2 years). It probably won't take me too long to clear out a 50-70 mile radius from here, there just isn't much except by Wisconsin Rapids.

I am in the process of getting my new gps now. I will knock out the rest of marshfield in a day, easily.

I know there are a bunch in eau claire and wasau once you get out of that hour long trip range. Right now with gas prices that just isn't economical.

[This message has been edited by SirPoonga (edited 05-31-2004).]

olahot
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just an FYI, I went to Wisconsin Rapids this spring and tried to find some caches to do. Several of them in that area had been logged as "no finds" repeatedly with comments about the area being littered with garbage. You might want to check the specific listings carefully before deciding what to go for. I was disappointed that so many of the few caches there were in the area appear to be in disrepair based on the logs. Good luck!

Maybe your mission is to become the great Central WI cache hider?!

SirPoonga
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I'm all up for hiding if it helps to get more people into it to make more hides I can find Image I actually have two ideas around Marshfield. I am working on putting one in a small park in town, it needs a true micro with the city feel where you have to be sneaky not to get caught finding the cache Image Also going to talk to my 2nd or 3rd cousin who is in charge of Marshfield's School Forest, see if I can put a hide in there.

Anyway, I am just looking to see if there are others in central WI that want to go out. I have a pretty good eye for caching. The one I found today at Wildwood park wasn;t that hard, even though the coordinates were off about 50-70ft. It was fairly obvious where it was at. The key to caching is finding what is out of place. A piece of bark jammed in a try isn't natural Image Maybe I can make better hides then. Make them look more natural or make alot of unnatural fakes in the area Image

[This message has been edited by SirPoonga (edited 06-20-2004).]

teameverest
WGA Member

Location: Weston/Menomonie/Madison/College Station, WI/TX, USA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Team Everest is commited to putting more caches in Central Wisconsin. In fact I myself just did a trip to Fleet Farm today, sadly I could only pick up one .50 Cal can. Damn hunting season !

We have quite a number in Marathon County, and are looking to expand before the snow falls......

Keep your eye out !

Timberline Echoes
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you take a trip "up north" to the Eagle River (zip code 54521) area ours are winter friendly.
Timberline Echoes

shine_like_a_star
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There are a few of us over in Point! Very Happy

-Colin Hay

(Wisconsin Firetowers) 
bandits
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We are slowly trying to increase the number of caches in Central WI. We noticed a lack and decided just to place some ourselves to provide incentives for other cachers to come to Marshfield.

Bandits

Mathman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There are quite a few caches in Central Wisconsin. Most are high quality including multi's and puzzles.

I also think it is important to leave areas available for new geocachers so that they are allowed to find an area to place a cache of their own when that time comes. I don't think it is a good idea to just litter the area with caches for the sake of placing caches. You will not find a lot of park-and-grabs or micros because we aren't at the point where we need to do that just to place a cache.

As for "knocking out" all of the caches in Marshfield in one day... you CAN'T do it! The bandits have done a fantastic job of placing some quality caches in that area. They require some legwork as well as "mindwork" to complete. I CHALLENGE you to find all of the Marshfield caches in one day. You won't be able to.

A lot of it comes down to what you want in a cache. Do you want a park-and-grab and lots of micros? You won't find a lot that in Central Wisconsin. Perhaps a short hike to a cache like... Mountain Bay: "Where's SpongeBob?" by Mathman, SirCumference,The Better Half, & Cutie Pi (GCY22E) or take a trip back in time with a canoe/kayak trip to The Eau Claire: Eau Claire River Series by One Paddle Short (GCV868). Please don't dismiss the area of Central Wisconsin. We have a wide variety of caches with caches for people of all skill levels. I believe you will find it worth the trip. Have fun!

Mathman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ok Ok I guess I got a little defensive about our wonderful slice of heaven here in Central Wisconsin It wasn't until the next morning.. today that I realized that the earlier messages were written 2 1/2 years ago! Embarassed I suppose there really weren't many caches here at that time.

zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Mathman,

Yep, a lot has changed in the Central WI area in the last 2 years. All for the better, with lots of great caches, as you say.

zuma

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 
videolady
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

bandits wrote:
We are slowly trying to increase the number of caches in Central WI. We noticed a lack and decided just to place some ourselves to provide incentives for other cachers to come to Marshfield.

Bandits

My cousin's wife and I recently started to geocache. We live in the Mosinee area. Some day, we want to get over to the Marshfield area to geocache.

blue_cougar54494
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I see it has been since 7/07 since a post has been made on here about central Wisconsin caching. I am hoping that with the nice weather & maybe more about geocaching in the news maybe this will be the year we see a few more caches being put out in the Rapids/Rudolph/Pittsville area.

Idea I just recieved about (12) 35mm film canisters to be used as caches so I have been scouting sites for these. Idea

Hope to hear from some central Wisconsin cachers!! Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HeliDood
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've been caching in the Wisconsin Rapids area by myself the last few months. I've made a few hides in the greater Wisconsin Rapids metropolitan area Very Happy (Just hid my 6th yesterday, only 3 of which are lame micros)
I expect to have find #50 under my belt within a few weeks.

I've been caching alone, so it's pretty slow-going for now.
I'm looking forward for Spring time when the snow melts, hopefully things will speed up.

My goal is to accumulate 250 finds by the end of the year. To a lot of you, Im sure thats nothing. But for me, it's just a goal, an achievable goal.
I may surprise myself, who knows?

View next topic
View previous topic