49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
WIsearcher
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody wish they could do their 100th again? I'm at 92 right now. What would you recommend for me? I like them long and hard but not so hard that my 45 dollar columbia sportswear pants get all ripped up! I would like something maintained so it's actually possible and not a disappointment. Will drive up to 2 21/2 hours one way. Here's what I've got as possibilities within 35 miles:

GCP3GB Kettle Moraine Earthcache. Iíve been up there a bunch of times but havenít bothered to claim it as a find yet but I could go up there and take my picture for my 100th. This is an acceptable standby if nothing else really special comes up itís like 3 miles from my house.

GCG50T Marsh Master has been on my list for a long time but the maintenance seems iffy. I do have it all scoped out remotely and Iím ready to go. It is a 4.5/3 so it might be memorable. (Oh yeah the 100th defiantly has to be dog friendly. I canít do it without my dog friend.)

GCM9VR Oak-K Either Way along with
GC1439 Ottawa Panorama These are long hard walks on the ice age trail. Iíve already done a 100 miles of these so these might sum up my experience so far but probably wouldnít be too exciting otherwise.

I could go do all the Burlington Liars Club ones. Would rather have the 100th out in nature more, I think. The ones in the city I can always do when Iím old!

GCTF06 Flag might be something nice to do over a long weekend or maybe for a 100th. Itís a 14-cache cache thingÖ

GCRZY1 WI Conservationist Hall of Fame another multi-cache cache.

GCWD3F Pants on Fire is a really cute sounding subscriber only that brags about how hard it is. I think this is the most appealing one to me so far. Itís only 20 miles away too. a 3.5/5

GCP1RY Naga Sudoku Toiletree has a cool name, is a 4/3 and a 4-part multi with a puzzle. Now that kind of sums up geocaching for me! This may be my new favorite. about 25 miles for me. It looks like one of the waypoints is in need of maintenance though so a possible disappointment.

GCR6CG The Adventures of Captain Klutz might be interesting except it does sound like a place to get your pants ripped. Itís a 4/4 thoughÖ Actually I just looked at the first stage sheet on their website and it doesnít make any sense. Must be some scout thing. I donít get anything other then the N42 which I could have figured out on my own!

Probably wouldnít want a micro unless it is something really unique.
I searched past 30 miles and this is all I came up with. Not a lot of hard caches out there. I could pick a ton of 1/1s and try to do my 2nd hundred for my hundredth! Laughing Laughing

Seriously, anybody have a suggestion? I like going west mostly towards Madison. Maybe Northern Illinois. Not fond of Bong or Waukesha. _Lauren M.

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Go to Racine and do Match Head before I have to disable it for winter! Very Happy

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for considering (and immediately dismissing Laughing ) my caches. I would agree, however, that BLC caches are NOT long and hard as you desire, but are exactly the opposite, fun and easy.

Flag is not going to work for you. Since you have already 92 finds, unless you are very good at guessing, you can't make it your 100th (I suppose you could report your caches out of order, but that is kind of cheating, isn't it?)

Captain Klutz is one of the more annoying caches we have done, but definitely not long or particularly challenging. You will most definitely get your clothes ripped, but if you want to do it, this is the right time of year. Also, the parking is closed this time of year. If you want to do this one, park north of the cache in the orchard (ask permission and maybe buy a bag of apples!).

Matchhead is certainly not "in the woods", but it is definitely challenging (not long however). To find this cache make sure you don't pick a day with a north or northeast wind unless you want to get soaked. You probably should also pick a day where the temp is above 50į. Also, I would recommend against doing this cache by yourself.

So, what WOULD we recommend?

Option 1: 8 caches in the New Munster Wildlife Area (Creepy Cache, , Kenosha County Kettle Moraine View, Cache of the Day, and the 5 High Brass caches). You will get your hard terrain on the first 3 and then your distance/history with the series. I can't recommend these caches enough. If one of these is disabled when you want to go, you can substitute "The Happy Wanderer" (also good, just don't bushwack all the way from the waypoint to the final like we did).

Option 2: The 5 caches of Along the Milky Way. If you walk the entire way, you will have around a 4 mile hike in a beautiful river area. This is NOT an urban series by any means. Unfortunately, a few of the coordinates might be a little "creative", so read the logs carefully if you don't want to be disappointed.

Option 3: You could, of course, do The Gauntlet. Definitely bring a friend.

WIsearcher
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Team Deejay wrote:
Thanks for considering (and immediately dismissing Laughing ) my caches.
I knew that was going to happen! I've always meant to do that walking tour even before it was a cache. It's always in my head as an option. One day I'll go spontaneously do it!

Option 1: 8 caches in the New Munster Wildlife Area (Creepy Cache, ...
I started Creepy Cache one day and got the wrong date on the first stage. I think the owners where going to make sure the right sign was still there. I never went back....

Option 2: The 5 caches of Along the Milky Way....
These sound really nice. I will add them to my list of possibilities.

Option 3: You could, of course, do The Gauntlet. Definitely bring a friend.
I am sorely tempted by the gauntlet. I don't have any friends that are that good or that stupid and it sounds like the dog would get hurt too and I hate those dirty looks he gives me when his nose is bleeding from thorns but I am STILL tempted.... I wonder if it's any easier in winter. I wonder if anyone's ever just taken a pruner along? I could sew a waterproof kevlar suit for myself and the dog. hmmm...

knoffer
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There is a bunch of good one in Kettle Moraine Southern Unit.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1ec60506-be82-4a2e-bd0f-db7bbfd2d1ed
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=59944010-1d97-4a2d-b8e5-8dc41f527133
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4f10584e-8068-4220-99f2-7761cd8cf5e9
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c4e0c7e1-54ec-43e4-b6b4-ab794e55bfce
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e92af943-7691-4dd5-8619-f0ecb15dcd54
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0bfada5c-bdbc-47f5-a63a-2b9c84ea27aa
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6b127d9a-8c6b-4300-b8b7-f2d27d9d51d2
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=74cd0e47-cead-471b-88cc-e3c09811ac27
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=75a65f2c-00b6-4c64-99de-a75d8ab235c4
The High Brass series is a good one too. Just make sure if go during hunting season to wear Blaze Orange.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

knoffer wrote:
There is a bunch of good one in Kettle Moraine Southern Unit.
I've done all those. I live 5 min from the Nordic trail/John Muir. My couple hides are in there too! Survival in a Can has been my most favorite cache ever out of all of them I've done. The place was so unexpected... That was the first thing I loved about geocaching was I got to revisit all the areas I was kind of tired of in a new refreshing way!
The High Brass series is a good one too. Just make sure if go during hunting season to wear Blaze Orange.

That's the second vote for High Brass so I'll add it to the list. I wear something orange all the time unless it's summer and too hot then usually there's nothing to hunt either.

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

WIsearcher wrote:
Option 1: 8 caches in the New Munster Wildlife Area (Creepy Cache, ...
I started Creepy Cache one day and got the wrong date on the first stage. I think the owners where going to make sure the right sign was still there. I never went back....

Since you posted your no-find, there have been around 25 finds, including us. The coordinates for the first waypoint put you in the middle of the cemetery instead of at the sign you need to reference. There is also a hint directing you to the correct place. The key is to recognize the word "Established" in the cache description, as the object with the required information has either "established" or "est." written on it. If you took a date off of a tombstone or a statue or something, you aren't going to the right place.

Last edited by Team Deejay on Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total 
WIsearcher
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since you posted your no-find, there have been around 25 finds, including us. The coordinates for the first waypoint are not at the sign you need to reference, but are, instead, in the middle of the cemetery. (I think The key is to recognize the word "Established" in the cache description, as the object with the required information has either "established" or "est." written on it. If you took a date off of a tombstone or a statue or something, you aren't going to the right place.
I'll have to look again. I think I that est. thing was what I used. I'm sure I even have a photo of it at home! I'll go back again sometime. It's just not my favorite direction to go in for no particular reason. Thanks!

Trudy and the beast
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Your 100th find should be a cache that you want to do. You can make it more memorable by selecting the cache of someone you admire and respect; by finding it with a team of your caching friends or by making an event of it such as a family picnic.

If you are looking for scenery without bushwhacking, try "Mountaineering Illinois Style" (GC97C5). If a little bushwhacking is ok, try any of the caches in Bong.

No matter which cache you select, it is your occasion. Enjoy it. ~tb

rogheff
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like to do milestone caches that belong to a friend or WITH a friend. It makes them far more memorable!

BTW: You'd have to be mad to do Captain Klutz - but it's not a Scout thing. and yes, you will get torn up.

I think you should head south of the border to "#$%^ Baldwin". One of my all-time favorites, but then I'm partial to it.

NSLP#1
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Our 100 was during the Coin Quest, and we needed an event... headed from Madison to Eau Claire. After the event we did some caches, and managed to get Old King, at a dog park for #100, we thought that was very appropriate for team "Not So Lost Puppies"

WIsearcher
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tyedyeskyguy wrote:
Go to Racine and do Match Head before I have to disable it for winter! Very Happy

You know, I am going to try it before 12/1. I think I can make it out there but I don't think I will try it for my 100th because if it is like I imagine on the big rocks used for breakwater, I looked for one of those for like TWO HOURS with a helper and the dog up in Manitowoc and never found it even with the hint. Afterwards I saw other people posting finds like it was nothing. I'm guessing the dog would not like it? He liked the rocks at the Manitowoc location once he was off the leash and free to jump around. I am guessing this one will take me more than one try since I have a huge defeatist attitude towards it before even starting. Maybe I will take a chalk to mark the places I've looked and grid it off and methodically cover it. If it's what I imagine, I find the rocks really hard for some reason.

WIsearcher
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Trudy & the beast wrote:
Your 100th find should be a cache that you want to do. You can make it more memorable by selecting the cache of someone you admire and respect; by finding it with a team of your caching friends or by making an event of it such as a family picnic.

If you are looking for scenery without bushwhacking, try "Mountaineering Illinois Style" (GC97C5). If a little bushwhacking is ok, try any of the caches in Bong.

No matter which cache you select, it is your occasion. Enjoy it. ~tb

Mountaineering sounds nice. I do like to take photos! Bong makes me nervous and I can't forgive them for changing the sign. For years, that sign was one of the best tourist spots pretty much anywhere.
I mean, this just does not tell a fun little story:

WIsearcher
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

rogheff wrote:
I like to do milestone caches that belong to a friend or WITH a friend. It makes them far more memorable!

BTW: You'd have to be mad to do Captain Klutz - but it's not a Scout thing. and yes, you will get torn up.

I think you should head south of the border to "#$%^ Baldwin". One of my all-time favorites, but then I'm partial to it.

@#&% Baldwin !! does sound interesting. Everyone seems to have enjoyed it except the folks who found the stick pile unatural. There should be a night course a person could take on "How to pile sticks in a Natural Fashion". I'd pay good money for that! wink I find some natural stick piles fairly contrived looking.

LightningBugs Mum
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

WIsearcher wrote:

GCP3GB Kettle Moraine Earthcache. Iíve been up there a bunch of times but havenít bothered to claim it as a find yet but I could go up there and take my picture for my 100th. This is an acceptable standby if nothing else really special comes up itís like 3 miles from my house.

GCG50T Marsh Master has been on my list for a long time but the maintenance seems iffy. I do have it all scoped out remotely and Iím ready to go. It is a 4.5/3 so it might be memorable. (Oh yeah the 100th defiantly has to be dog friendly. I canít do it without my dog friend.)

GCM9VR Oak-K Either Way along with
GC1439 Ottawa Panorama These are long hard walks on the ice age trail. Iíve already done a 100 miles of these so these might sum up my experience so far but probably wouldnít be too exciting otherwise.

Well, since you asked about them......

I think an earthcache is worthy of a milestone because there are so few of them.

Marsh Master: I did this one over two years ago. As it was originally set up, it would have been very cool to do. Now, even though all the pieces are still there, it is not in great shape. And you must enjoy serious bushwhacking. I would do it to cross it off your list, but not as your 100th.

Oak-K Either Way: The waypoints are nice, the final is huge, and you already know it is a long walk in Kettle Moraine. (We cheated and drove to the final.) If this is your caching style, then it may be appropriate. (I haven't done Ottawa Panorama).

You have done Pain in the Cache. Too bad. Definitely milestone-worthy. Wink

I can also recommend High Brass. Very fun, the hides get more creative and more difficult...

We did Goosey XXII for our 100th. And we were just talking about it today as a matter of fact. But it may be more urban than what you are looking for.

View next topic
View previous topic