49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

Well, I did something kind of dumb yesterday, and I wanted to see if anyone can top me on dumb things done. Here is what happened yesterday:

I had placed by 7 new caches for the CVB event several weeks ago, when there was still several inches of snow on the ground, so that we could have the coordinates in early. Since it had been a long time since I placed them, and the caches will be published 4/14, I thought I should go check on em to make sure they are still there. Plus, a hide that looks good in snow, can look pretty obvious once the snow melts.

Anyway, I got the bright idea to check out an alternative parking spot on an old fire trail that I knew about, that I thought might be a little shorter of a walk. So I took my brand new geomobile, having sat unscathed in my garage for almost a month, and not used off road down the trail. The trail was pretty good at first, but the trail gradually petered out to being about 6 inches wider than my car. Well, I pressed on, until I came to a tree across the trail.

What to do? Well the trail was to narrow to back up all the way, so I decided to turn around in a little clearing. As I backed up, I heard a loud thud, and felt a sudden stop. Said "Oh, shingles," and went back to check for damage. Not even a scratch!!!! I was relieved to see none, and finished turning around.

Well, me and Jesse got out to walk to the caches, and I was getting stuff out of the car, and then I heard "tinkle, tinkle," turned and looked and saw part of the lens fall off of my tail light.

Anyway, those of you who saw my old cachemobile know it had red duct tape where the rear lens was supposed to be. I guess I just cant keep those rear lights from getting banged up.

zuma

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 
Sean Connery
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing Oh, I can definitely top this story. About a 16-17 months ago, the Bond Girl and I attempted to do a night cache belonging to Russell. After dropping off the Bond girl and the geodog alongside the road close to the 1st reflector, I drove down the road to turn around and come back to park on the other side. Big mistake!! I pull over and end up sliding into a very deep ditch almost putting my Explorer on its right side. I put it into low range 4wd but only ended up shredding the right front tire on some exposed re-bar.

To make a long story short, I eventually got towed out, and bought a new tire the next day. total cost about $400!! Embarassed

WGA Friend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

OK, it won't top Connery story but my actually pretty similar to it.. i was up north at the Great Northwoods Event last year i think that was around Feb, anyway.. it was sunday morning and i had just left the event and wanted to grab a couple more caches in the area, first cache i decide to do, i was going up and down the roads around there and kept getting lose finally got with in a reasonable distance from the cache, (like around 300ft from it) there was a good 2 feet of snow on the ground, well i pulled off on the side of the road, and my escape drops two feet down on one side! i sat there for a second, surpised! then i got out of my car and took a look, oh my car just fell off the shoulder, well thats ok, i couldn't tell cuz the snow hide that when i pulled over, whatever, i can get out of that, so i grab my gps check the palm for info about the cache and went looking for the cache.. looked for a good 30minutes nothing.. darn snow.. oh well go back to the car and started to try and work the car out......... nothing my wheels spin and i figured out, that the two driver side tires on sitting on ice, my car isn't bunging.. crap! so i waved down a van to help me, and they lived right down the road and had tow ropes there and would be right back... Turned out it took another truck, to tow me out, and then i was so turned around and not exactly happy right then, i contuined down the road and found directions back to the highway and i went straight home.. It was an interesting time, and a story well worth telling to other people!

check out my blog!
http://coastiegirl-lindsey.blogspot.com/ 
RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, can't top those but this is at least funny:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=738ed31f-f33b-4f0a-880b-022a58080a69

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

RSplash40 wrote:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=738ed31f-f33b-4f0a-880b-022a58080a69

Knowing the area.....I have to wonder how?
I read that log yesterday and got a laugh; thanks for sharing it.

RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hehe, well, it was dark, flashlight was in pocket, staring down at the arrow on the gps... and it was one of the little tree's with no branches to speak of ...thwap!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lostby7 wrote:
RSplash40 wrote:

Knowing the area.....I have to wonder how?
I read that log yesterday and got a laugh; thanks for sharing it.

I will have to go put some reflective tacks into all the nearby trees so nobody else meets the same fate.

WGA Friend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've got a good one from this last Sunday, coming back from my Good Friday Delorme run, I stop in Tigerton,WI to clear a page. Anyone who knows me know I just follow the arrow on the GPS60. Well, the arrow pointed to this trailor park just east of the city. There was a trail so I took it till I came to a fence. Maybe 2 meters tall (7 feet). There were no signs posted on it, so I thought it was just part of the cache experience, So I climb the fence. Follow the arrow till I get within 200 feet of the cache, there's a river. The Embarrass River I find out later. I'm not going to be denied the find obviously...200 feet to clear a page, so I walk along the shore looking for a place to cross for about 20 minutes. This river is really shallow, but the current just rips. Total white water. You have no idea how close I came to walking across that river. I finally decided to go back to the car and look for a different approach. So I drove into town and there it was, those two caches that I was looking for are in an ATV park. So I made the finds while staying nice and dry... just a little muddy. I have issues! Very Happy

View next topic
View previous topic