49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Read this story from the Chicago Tribune about what the state of Indiana has decided to allow to be dumped into the lake:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-pollute_15jul15,1,647384.story?coll=chi-news-hed

The federal EPA is looking the other way.

Our elected officials need to know how you feel.

Team Margaritaville
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah and while your at it contact the MMSD about there not deep enough tunnel and our own state legislatures

Mother Wolf
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

My sister & brother-in-law bought & preparred an old barge to be sunk in Michigan a few yrs ago to help create a man made reef for diving. Im sure they will be really upset with this. They live outside Chicago & do a tremendous amount of diving, teaching etc out on the lake. They have worked hard to help towards the goal of cleaning up the lake.
You should circulate this article however you can to as many people as possible. thanks for sharing. Mother Wolf

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been buying my gas at BP (Amoco) for 15 years, since I worked there. NO MORE. They advertise as being so environmentally friendly, what a joke.

I wish I had something more intelligent to add, but I'm just too pissed right now!

Johnny Cache
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

I saw this in todays Milwaukee Journal:

Congressmen may try to block refinery expansion

Two Illinois congressmen may try to block BP Plc's $3 billion expansion of the biggest Midwest refinery if the company doesn't drop plans to dump more ammonia into Lake Michigan, the source of drinking water for 10 million people. BP received permission from state regulators in June to increase ammonia discharges as part of a four-year expansion of its lakeside plant in Whiting, Ind., about 20 miles from downtown Chicago. The London-based company is installing new equipment so it can process cheaper Canadian crude and boost fuel output by 15%. Ammonia discharges from the plant will rise 54% to 1,584 pounds a day, U.S. Reps. Mark Kirk and Daniel Lipinski said in a letter this week to BP Chief Executive Officer Tony Hayward. Kirk is a Republican, and Lipinski is a Democrat. BP, Marathon Oil Corp. and Chevron Corp. are expanding refineries as rising demand for gasoline, jet fuel and diesel in the world's biggest energy market lifts oil-processing margins to records.

kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

A message fron Illinois' environmental director:
-----------

I've received letters from many of you who were outraged to read this
headline in Sunday's Chicago Tribune: "BP GETS BREAK ON DUMPING IN LAKE."

I want you to know that we're taking action to protect Lake Michigan from
this needless pollution.

BP's oil refinery in Whiting, Indiana - located just three miles from the
beaches of Illinois's Calumet Park - has been granted a permit to dump 1,500 pounds of ammonia and 5,000 pounds of toxic sludge daily into Lake Michigan.

For years, no other company has been allowed to increase dumping in the lake. It's essential - for the health of the lake as well as 3 million Illinoisans who drink its waters daily - that Indiana's Department of Environmental Management and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency withdraw this permit immediately.

We're calling on our Congresspeople to demand that these agencies withdraw BP's permit. You can help by asking your U.S. Senator and Congressperson to speak out for the Great Lakes.

To take action, click on the link below or paste in into your web browser:

https://www.environmentillinois.org/action/protect-lake-michigan/bp-petition?id4=ES
BACKGROUND

Indiana's Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) has granted a permit to BP's oil refinery in Whiting, Indiana-located three miles from Chicago's south suburbs-to dump 1500 pounds of ammonia and nearly 5,000 pounds of toxic sludge into Lake Michigan daily. The ammonia's nitrogen will increase fish-killing algae blooms, and the sludge contains concentrated mercury, selenium, and other toxic heavy metals.

The agency will also permit BP to create the Lake's first "mixing zone," a
dubious practice by which facilities directly discharge their pollution,
dilute it in lake water, and call it cleaned up. Mixing zones are rightly banned on Lake Michigan. This exemption sets a terrible precedent and should not be allowed.

Lake Michigan's waters near Whiting and Gary are still healing from decades of abuse. Steel mills, a chemical factory, and the refinery-the nation's fourth largest- formerly enjoyed nearly unregulated dumping. Despite years of clean up, the area remains federally listed as an "Area of Concern" due to waters so degraded that beaches often close, the fish get tumors, and the water has an odor.

Since 2002, BP has used its "Beyond Petroleum" slogan and a new flower logo to sell itself as eco-friendly. Courting the Whiting business community, BP promised to conduct business in accordance with this aspiration: "no damage to the environment."

But BP is already one of the Great Lakes' worst polluters. And although a
quarter-acre wastewater treatment plant could mitigate the new ammonia
discharge, BP testified that there's no room for one at its 1700 acre
refinery.

As the world's eighth biggest company, recording tens of billions of dollars in annual profits, BP shouldn't need unique exemptions from laws with which all other companies comply, and which were written to restore our polluted Great Lakes. Northwest Indiana is seeking investment, but BP won't even invest
enough to avoid poisoning its water.

For the sake of Lake Michigan, for the health of its fragile ecosystem, and
for the benefit of people in the four states that share its waters, BP must be denied its free pass to pollute. IDEM should reverse this decision or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), should step in and stop it. Let's hold BP to its professed environmental standards.

We're calling on our representatives in Congress to demand that these
agencies stop BP from despoiling Lake Michigan. You can help by signing a petition to your U.S. Senator and Congressperson urging them speak out for the Great Lakes.

To take action, click on the link below or paste in into your web browser:
https://www.environmentillinois.org/action/protect-lake-michigan/bp-petition?id4=ES

Sincerely,

Rebecca D. Stanfield
Environment Illinois State Director
RebeccaS@environmentillinois.org
http://www.environmentillinois.org

P.S. Thanks again for your support. Please feel free to share this e-mail
with your family and friends.

Team Golden
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It looks like people are fighting it. Too bad nothing is happening to the idiots at MMSD. Evil or Very Mad

kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: "Rebecca D. Stanfield, Environment Illinois State Director"
Subject: BREAKING: EPA sides with BP on toxic dumping in Lake Mich.

In a story today in the Chicago Tribune, it has been reported that EPA Administrator Stephen Johnson sees "nothing wrong with the permit Indiana regulators awarded in June to BP, the first company in years allowed to increase the amount of toxic chemicals pumped into the Great Lakes."

The EPA has said repeatedly that its goal is to "virtually eliminate" pollution in the Great Lakes, but it approved this increase even as it spends hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars cleaning up polluted sites.

So now the EPA is saying they are not going to stand up for the citizens of Illinois and all those in the Great Lakes region and protect our lake from increased pollution -- even though such increased pollution violates everything the Clean Water Act stands for.

Because the EPA has decided to abdicate their responsibility to protect Lake Michigan, our campaign now moves into a new phase. We at Environment Illinois and our allies around the region are taking on BP directly, and bringing our message to where they live and work.

BP's North American headquarters are located in Warrenville, just outside Chicago. We want to run a full-page ad in the Chicago Tribune, calling on BP to withdraw its plan to increase toxic dumping and come up with a solution that preserves our lake - the kind of solution they can surely find if they're serious about being 'Beyond Petroleum.'

Sending such a powerful message doesn't come cheap. It will cost $20,000 to place the ad in the Tribune. To BP such an expense would be a drop in the bucket. Being the world's fourth largest corporation, it's been easy for them to spend money hand over fist in past few weeks, buying ads all over the Great Lakes trying to muddy the water on their toxic dumping plan. For us to fight back, we need your help.

You can make a donation today of $25, $35, $50, $100 or more to make sure that BP can see in black and white that their plan to increase dumping must stop. To fight back against BP's plan to pollute our lake, click on the link below or copy and paste it into your browser:

https://www.environmentillinois.org/action/protect-lake-michigan/stop-bp-spin?id4=ES

Sincerely,

Rebecca D. Stanfield
Environment Illinois State Director
RebeccaS@environmentillinois.org
http://www.environmentillinois.org

P.S. Thanks again for your support. Please feel free to share this e-mail with your family and friends.

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to contribute. I'd love to see enough donated to get a prime time TV add though! That'll cost a bit more I suspect.

I'd also like to add here, that in Wisconsin, they are making Dentists purchase recovery systems for all their offices to catch all the mercury before dumping waste-water into the system. I know dentists make good money, but compared to BP??? Can't BP build a recovery system for their pollutants? Or would that negate their near $30,000,000,000 profit margin form last year? Last time I checked, my dentist drove a Buick, not a Bentley!

furfool
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A couple of weeks ago I began reading a book titled "The World Without Us" by Alan Weisman. Very intersting. It's about how long it would take the earth to revert back to its former self if all humans just suddenly died out or vanished. How long it will take cities to disappear, how long for the air and water to become clean again, etc. Anyway, I remember reading about BP above, and thought I would throw this out there as well. The top paragraph on page 138 in this book states that Fred Newhouse is proud of the clean record of Valero Energy Corporation, where he works, "especially compared to the BP plant across the road, which the EPA in 2006 named the nation's worst polluter". Just something to think about when you see BP's commercials on tv about how environmently friendly they are.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sad to say, coal burning puts a lot more mercury in the environment than BP could. That said, completely ridiculous to allow any mercury to be dumped into the water we drink.

I know folks love to dump on MMSD. The reality is that the Milwaukee TARP works REALLY well. The few times a year they open the system up, almost all of what gets dumped is rain water -- the waste is dilute enough to break down without crashing the dissolved oxygen. Ideally they wouldn't dump at all but it is impractical to build a TARP that can handle all possible rain events.

The alternatives are to either allow sewerage to back up into basements and streets, or separate the sewers, which would require every single mile of street in the city of Milwaukee to be dug up during which time Milwaukee would continue to dump after every other rain event (like they did before the TARP was constructed.)

Sue MMSD if you wish, but they are not the problem.

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

MikeB wrote:
Sue MMSD if you wish, but they are not the problem.

No, BP is.

MikeB
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry -- not trying to take the heat off of BP and the regulators who are permitting this nonsense to continue.

The reality is there are a lot of things creating grief for the Great Lakes. So many are difficult to control: ag runoff, sewerage overflows after a heavy rain, mercury from coal-burning, and legacy pollution (especially PCB's.)

Until the regulatory climate changes (curerently based on Reagan-era approach requiring that regs be justified with a cost-benefit analysis), don't buy BP.

View next topic
View previous topic