49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 5:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by CacheCows:
[B] Is ours similier because of the cash prize, or because of the rating? <snip>
I think Carpe Cache and Sam's new cache are the only 5s in the SE part of the state.
B]

They are similar because of the cash prize. My final container is out there in its hiding spot. Now I have to decide how much more difficult to make it. That is, will it be a multi-step hunt or not.
Regarding Sam's Island Sanctuary, I guess he's right to call that a 5 star according to the criteria -- after the ice melts. It sure wasn't difficult when we walked across the ice to it. (Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it a lot.) With each passing day the difficulty level increases with that one. I know I'm probably not in the majority on this next opinion, but I don't believe a boat is special equipment. Anyone can park their rear end in a boat and ride to an island. They don't even have to paddle it or navigate it themselves if they have help. That's why we didn't give our Uncharted Island 5 stars, even though no one has been able to get to it since we placed it last September. Now climbing gear and scuba gear... THAT'S special equipment, definately 5-star worthy.

[This message has been edited by kbraband (edited February 24, 2002).]

kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 6:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:
I think a little too much importance can be place on first finds.

I agree completely.

arffer
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 8:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

kbraband,
Quote:
They are similar because of the cash prize...

Gotcha! Since yours predates ours and is in place, we're going to scrap the cash prize part of it, it wasn't all that important to our idea for the cache itself, and we'd rather not dilute your plans Image
Quote:
...but I don't believe a boat is special equipment.
Sam's is like Carpe Cache in the frozen water aspect. We got within .3 miles of Carpe Cache last week, but couldn't bring ourselves to tread across the ice to it. Way too many partially covered ice fishing holes. As to a boat making it a 5, we lean with the '5' crowd as long as no boat is provided. An example: we did 'Row, Row, Row' your boat in Illinois last year, the cache is located at a lake where boats are rented for a nominal fee; this cache is not rated a 5 as you can rent a boat there. However, for us to hunt Sam's Island cache, or Carpe Cache, we would have to BUY a boat to do those caches. I think having to buy or borrow a boat and transport it to the site would qualify as a '5'.
quote:
Sbusky said: I think a little too much importance can be place on first finds.

Kbrbaband Said: I agree completely.

All depends on what you're into Image
Different strokes for different folks Image
Caching's cool 'cause we each get to do the aspects we like, and ignore the parts we don't.

[This message has been edited by CacheCows (edited February 24, 2002).]

GLSailor
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 8:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Originally posted by sbukosky:
I think a little too much importance can be place on first finds.

Then again, the reply comes from someone who has "Several" "First Finder" tags in his/their posession and a wall upon which to display them....

------------------

kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by CacheCows:
[B]kbraband, Gotcha! Since yours predates ours and is in place, we're going to scrap the cash prize part of it, it wasn't all that important to our idea for the cache itself, and we'd rather not dilute your plans Image

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that you're treading on our turf at all. Go ahead and do your thing, man! It's a big world out there. Image

arffer
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, That's cool! Maybe we can do first finds on each others caches. On second thought, why don't we just mail each other the cash! Image

(Yes, I put 'cache' for 'cash' the first time and had to edit it.)

[This message has been edited by CacheCows (edited February 24, 2002).]

sbukosky
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just a story related to walking on ice to a cache. On Muskego lake, our radio club once had a transmitter hunt where the "fox" was several hundred feet out on the ice. Several of the teams, me included, were on shore wondering whether to go out there when a snowmobile broke through the ice just off shore. We got visual finds that night but no one felt it was worth it to drown in getting there first, second or down the line.

But back to the first find topic. I don't want anyone to get me wrong. I imagine that we are talking about special caches and I think it is generally agreed that a little variety is interesting. I don't want to give a sour grapes impression. I'm always worried about the government taking so much fun out of the hobby that it dwindles rather than grows and I'm afraid my discussions may reflect that too much at times.

------------------
Steve Bukosky
Waukesha

Yawningdog
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's interesting how many comments I've seen on the boards and the cache page and emails I've recived from people commenting on the dangers of walking on the ice since we placed Island Sanctuary. It seems that, somewhere along the line, falling through the ice came to equal certain and instantanious death. This is the first time that I've made this statement in public since we placed that cache and I fully expect to be reprimanded by people who have a hundred "death on the lake" stories to relate, but here goes: If you fall through the ice, the trick is to climb back out and go home to dry off. If you are inclined to panic or can't swim then you are in trouble, but I've lived on the lake my whole life and have broken the ice a couple of times. It ****s, and once it took me a while to break my way to a spot that would hold my weight again (that was a bad one), but I never came close to the instant death that people have been accusing me of dooming local cachers to. I did not place that cache to put anyone in danger and it is rated a 5 because that is what the rating system told me to make it. My standard comment to the emails that I've recieved is for the person to wait until the ice melts and then go there in a boat. The Island is better in the summer, anyway. And as far as scolding me for placing people in danger, I only placed a cache, I didn't push anyone out on a lake.
Well, I've said it now. Feel free to "rip me a new one".

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Amen!

If you think it's too dangerous to walk on the ice, dont walk on it.

As an avid ice fisherman, I've had my share of soakers. The worst one was breaking through on my 3 wheeler. I was glad I had friend along with another ATV to pull me out. (the 3 wheeler floats upside down in case you were wondering)

When I worked at Oconomowoc PD, I was often asked "is the ice safe to go on?" My answer was always NO. No matter how thick it was, even if cars were driving on it. I didnt want to get sued by someone sticking their foot in a hole.

In defense of those voicing their concerns about ice safety, if you notice, you dont see many ice fisherman on the ice right now. Thats because the ice is pourous, irregular and not very safe. Even the die hards, such as I, are staying off most lakes.

Certain times of the year the ice is great. Other times, like now, it isn't.

Geocaching brings a lot of city slickers into the great outdoors for the first time. They may not be familiar with ice safety issues and techniques. It might be wise to put a warning on the cache at this time.

Once you think that travel is not recommended on the ice, I would post a note on the cache page advising people to wait until ice off.

kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 11:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by GrouseTales:
Once you think that travel is not recommended on the ice, I would post a note on the cache page advising people to wait until ice off.

I don't think Sam should post when he thinks the ice is no longer safe, because that implies that the ice is safe until then. As you implied, that decision should be left up to each cache hunter. I think it's perfectly fine to place a cache on an island and then leave it up to cache hunters to accept full responsibility for how, when, and if they're willing to go find it. My only beef was with the rating system itself, not with Sam's cache. I think there are much more difficult types of cache hunts than using a boat or walking across ice.

arffer
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Yawningdog:
My standard comment to the emails that I've recieved is for the person to wait until the ice melts and then go there in a boat.

IN A BOAT?!! ARE YOU CRAZY?
Don't you know boats kill people? I've got hundreds of people drowning while on a boat stories. It is totally irresponsible to place a cache that requires a boat!

Image Image Image Image Image

Thraxman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Yawningdog:
[B] but I never came close to the instant death that people have been accusing me of dooming local cachers to. I did not place that cache to put anyone in danger and it is rated a 5 because that is what the rating system told me to make it [B]

I need to relate a story about some caches that were carelessly placed that could have ended MY life, and quite abruptly at that. Seems to me that people think it is really funny to place caches great distances from my house, requiring me to actually DRIVE ON THE HIGHWAYS to reach them. I remember one saturday afternoon, I hopped into my trusty pick-up truck to travel to a cache that somebody carelessly placed over 50 MILES from where I live. No way I could hoof this one out, so I had to drive... very little choice. Anyhow, about halfway there, ANOTHER vehicle did a rolling stop at an intersection, and elected to pull out in front of me, putting my life and her own life in danger. Luckily, I saved both our lives by stepping hard on the brakes. I then sounded an audible alert by applying pressure to the center of my steering wheel, and signalled her with the appropriate sign language to inform her of her near-deadly error.

Anyhow, for safety's sake, everyone, please make sure you place all caches within a one mile radius of my residence in Janesville, Wisconsin. The highways can be instant death, you know, and I am offended at the number of times you all have tried killing me by placing them at such horrendous distances from where I live!

kbraband
WGA Historian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 9:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thraxman, that's pretty good for 7:46 in the morning. You must be a coffee drinker.

arffer
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Thraxman:
Maybe nobody will like this idea... BUT... here goes...

Ceate a website called www.progeocaching.com

Membership to this site would have fairly strict requirements (Possibilities would include finding at least 25 caches from geocaching.com, prior attendance at some geocaching event or gathering, anything that shows a potential member is a bona-fide geocacher, and not just some dirtbag out to ruin people's fun or raid valuable caches).

This site would be for posting caches with higher than normal value, like YDs Collecable Cache...

Looks like the J-Man was thinking along the same lines we were. Even came up with a new geocaching sniglet, mocache. Geocaching.com now offers paid memberships ($3/month, $30/yr), and members can mark a cache as a 'member's only' cache. Others can see its listing, but only members can read the details!
See HERE

Thraxman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

OK...You all saw it here first.... I just got ripped off big time!!!! Oh boy... any lawyers out there? Image

Anyhow, probably a good thing for Jeremy to do, he obviously needs to generate some cash for the site, it must cost him a pretty penny to run, not to mention the time involved. I will have to check out the details. I wonder how it will go over though. Seems to me that if just anyone wants, they can pay 3 bucks and have access to the caches for a month, even if they never hunted one before, so I don't know that it is a viable method of "cache protection", as we were discussing before.

View next topic
View previous topic