49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
sbukosky
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just bought a new Geocache vehicle and am donating the old Taurus to some charity soon. I have a state and Waukesha County sticker on the windshield and for the forty dollars, want to try removing them and putting them on the new car. Yeah, I know, whats $40 versus $20K+ for a new bush banger but I've got two cars and two motorcycles and any one of them could be taken to the park. I have never seen the sense in being forced to have stickers for each! So back to pinching pennies. Has anyone been successful tranfering these stickers? I'm thinking of using a hair drier to soften the adhesive and hoping that enough is left to adhere to the new windshield.

------------------
Steve Bukosky
Waukesha

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunely, the DNR has come up with crafty ways to prevent you from doing this. They place perforations on the sticker that rip when you pull. The county stickers are probably much the same. I think a hair dryer is your best chance, but I have never tried it. I transfered one back in 1987 when they made them nice and durable. I kept getting DNR people asking me if it was affixed with it's own adhesive. It was, but just barely Image

arffer
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 6:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

The story we have gotten from the DNR (Pennisula State Park Office in particular) is that you are welcome to bring in the pieces to exchange for a new sticker everytime you want to move it between vechicles. So, you might check with the county office and see if they will do the same. This would get the sticker to the new cachemobile, but not very useful if you want to move it frequently.

Now, there is a movable solution, but I'm certainly not suggesting it... as at least the DNR says by law the sticker must be directly adhered to the windshield Image

If you were to say take a piece of clear plastic, say contact paper, or that decale material, or perhaps even plastic wrap, and then stick the decale to it instead of the window, then just a tad bit of static cling or perhaps a diluted dishsoap solution would hold it to the window, allowing easy removal. But that of course would be against the rules, so this discussion is purely hypothetical not to be tried at home!

Thraxman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Heck, I just got my new 2002 sticker this past saturday, and was pretty irked when I tried to get the old 2001 sticker off my windshield... that IS some nasty adheasive!I managed to remove only small chunks of the corners Image Now I have a 2002 sticker above the 2001 sticker. What DOES work best to get those things off... razor blade? Hair dryer? Alcohol?

arffer
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

I always just apply mine above the previous year's sticker, and work my way up the windshield...

I've never owned a vehicle long enough to reach the top! Image

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Best way to get them off is to use a razor blade. Any remaining adhesive can be easily removed with nail polish remover or alcohol (or gasoline on a Q-tip).

Another option would be to purchase a reduced rate sticker. You can purchase a 2nd State Park sticker for $10. You need to provide them with the serial number from a sticker you already own.

I get a sticker included in my Patron's license, and always pick up a 2nd one for the 10 bucks. Its a good thing.

sbukosky
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A few weeks ago I bought a new car and tried the hair drier. I'm happy to report that both stickers came off nicely and look like new applied to the new car.

Now, how to I apply a state sticker to my motorcycle that doesn't even have a windshield??? Image

------------------
Steve Bukosky
Waukesha

Thraxman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AHA! Steve... you just stumbled upon the easy solution to using a single park sticker with multiple vehicles the EASY way!

Get a motorcycle helmet, be sure it is the type with the plastic flip-down face wind shield. Place the sticker on the lower left corner of the face shield. Viola! You are now set for riding your cycle into any park, with your sticker prominently displayed. If you decide to take your car or truck to the park, NO PROBLEM! just wear your helmet in the car! No law against that, is there?

Jeremy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:
Now, how to I apply a state sticker to my motorcycle that doesn't even have a windshield??? Image

When I got my stickers, I asked a park ranger this same question. (I do have a windshield, but it is detachable and I have it off most of the time.)

The official word: The sticker must be applied to something that is a permanent part of the motorcycle... hard bags, side covers, wrapped around the fork tubes, etc. It should be on the left side so it can easily be seen at the entrance stations.

I couldn't bring myself to ruin the paint on my motorcycle, so I ended up just sticking it to my windshield. (I now have to make sure the windshield is on before going to any state park though...)

If you come up with a clever way or place to put these on motorcycle without a windshield, please share it!

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 9:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

What are the rules for the one day stickers that you buy?

Since I have a Conservation Patron's license, all I need to do is show them my license and they give me a day pass.

I wonder where I would put it since it is similar to a "post-it" note

[This message has been edited by GrouseTales (edited April 27, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by GrouseTales (edited April 27, 2002).]

sbukosky
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 8:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by Thraxman:
Get a motorcycle helmet, be sure it is the type with the plastic flip-down face wind shield. Place the sticker on the lower left corner of the face shield. Viola! You are now set for riding your cycle into any park, with your sticker prominently displayed. If you decide to take your car or truck to the park, NO PROBLEM! just wear your helmet in the car! No law against that, is there?

Harley riders would have to stick it on their foreheads? Image I've wondered what a patrolman would think about someone wearing their helmet in a car. I've got a black full face with a smoke shield. Makes me look a little like Darth Vader with my black leather jacket, black jeans and boots. Sometimes if I don't pay at the pump, I'll walk in to pay with the helmet on and visor down. Gets the attendants nervous.

As to being attached to a permanent part of the motorcycle, before I began geocaching, my wife thought I WAS a permanent part of my motorcycles! Image

------------------
Steve Bukosky
Waukesha

arffer
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 8:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by GrouseTales:
Since I have a Conversation Patron's license,
What do you have to do to get a 'Conversation Patrons' license, just talk to them alot? Image

Seriously, what is this license?

arffer
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the hair dryer suggestion to remove lables. We had tough US Military lables to remove from 20 surplus containers today in preperation for the geo-campout. The dryer worked like a charm!

Thanks again!

GrouseTales
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oops, should have been Conservation Patron license.

Basically, it covers gun deer hunting, gun bow hunting, small game, spring turkey, fall turkey hunting, fishing, trapping, veh admission sticker, magazine subscription, trail pass.

Team Roman Geoskis
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:
A few weeks ago I bought a new car and tried the hair drier. I'm happy to report that both stickers came off nicely and look like new applied to the new car.

Had the same problem while I was in the military; we had base stickers to contend with. I couldn't bear to put a sticker on my new FLTC back in 81, so I manufactured a plate and attached it to the left side of the front fender. Then just put the sticker on the plate. Two bolts and it was off.

View next topic
View previous topic