49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Team Bear Bear
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

New Years evening, about 5:45 pm…

I had just let Powder Keg (a black lab, German Shepard mix – she’s our Geo-caching dog) outside. I was working at the computer, probably reading this forum and Robin was in the living room. The computer room has windows that look out over the front yard. I saw two dogs run by and suddenly heard lots of commotion – barking etc.

Robin and I ran to the door. There were two pit bulls attacking Powder! We went outside to try to get them away from Powder and they were relentless! One dog, the bigger of the two, had her pinned against the wall of the house while the other bit at her. We tried kicking and hitting at the dogs, yelling and screaming too. Since the larger dog had her pinned and the other seemed to just be trying to get a good “shot” at her. I thought the big dog was more of a threat so I worked on it but it wouldn't’t give up. Finally, I just reached around the big dogs chest and pulled it away. Powder got free for only a moment but Robin was unable to get her inside. Suddenly the neighbor appeared and helped me wrestle the dogs apart. Robin finally got Powder into the house and unclipped her chain.

The neighbor had both dogs by the collars now so I went into the house to get the chain and a leash. We hooked the dogs up outside and called the police.

The police arrived only moments later. They had been responding to a call that the two dogs had inadvertently been let out and were roaming the neighborhood. We went to the front door and were met by to very agitated, growling and snarling dogs so we retreated and went out the back and came around the house to meet the officer(s).

We gave them our story and the dog’s owner showed up a short time later. She walked up to Robin and basically, shrugged her shoulders and said “sorry” (kinda like John Belushi in Animal House after he bust’s up the guy’s guitar). Robin was dumbstruck! THAT’S IT??? No, “I’m really sorry, how is your dog?” Robins response was “Sorry doesn’t %@#^#$ cut it.” And walked away – trying to get away from starting something else.

The owner of the dogs loaded them up in her car and the police got our statements. They asked to look at Powder to see if she had any open wounds; if she did she would have to be taken into quarantine. Luckily, she only had a 2” to 3” long scrape on the inside of her thigh and opposite that about a dime size tuft of fur pulled off and it was red and scraped there too.

One of the other dogs was not quite so lucky. Our front yard and porch had blood speckled all over; it looked like it had rained blood! There were also some pretty good sized (1½” - 2” diameter) spots of blood on the sidewalk. It appeared that a one of the pit bulls bit the other in the attempt to bite Powder. We don't think Powder did any of the biting(?).

Still haven’t put the issue to rest. If this is the first incident that the dogs have gotten into, the owner will get an $89 fine. If there have been previous incidents, the fine increases.

Now that it is over (sort of), the worst part is the second guessing, it’s what keeps me awake at night: what if Robin had been home alone? What if I had pulled the dog off Powder and it turned its attention to me? I could have found myself looking at a face full of teeth! What if my 10 year old son had been outside playing? Can I send my boy around the block on his scooter any more? And the list goes on.

Powder is timid to begin with. She grew up in a rural setting and really only knew Robin, my son and me. Then we move to Menasha and there are people every where. It took the mailman two months before he could give her a treat without her hiding or cowering at the door. Now she is excited to see him.

It is difficult for me to let her out now. What if they come back? Since then I have a hard time letting her out without getting dressed myself, just in case I have to go out and help her. We know (we HOPE) that this was an isolated incident, the kind of thing that happens only once, but the thought is still too fresh.

We called a friend that raises and trains pit bulls. She tells us that the Fox Cities has quite an underground contingent of people that train these dogs to fight. Here in Menasha, where the sun always shines, the neighbors talk to each other over the picket fence and Barney Fife walks his beat with a bullet in his pocket.

Just had to get that off my chest.
X

2CraziesMSN
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

I had the same thing about 10 years ago with 2 pit bulls and my little terrie. I was outside in my yard and and I heard a yep from my dog. Turn around and saw two dogs pulling her out of our yard. By the time I ran over to my dog the other dogs back off. My dog had a wound about 6 inches long. The owner finally came down and said "my dogs couldn't have done this" and took his dogs home. I called the police and they went to there house and fined them $500+ for about 6 fines. Then I found out this is not the first time they attack. Took our dog to the vet. After $600 and a few days at the vet, she was fine.

It was the way they treat them at that house. Good news, they have moved out of the area.

I take my dogs to the dog park all of the time and we see pit bulls there all of the time and they are the nice to us and our dogs. That just shows that not all pit bulls are bad. Maybe just bad owners.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow that really sucks. I hope the owners get a big BIG fine.

greyhounder
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

What a scary situation! I get so mad at bad dog owners like that. I am glad that your dog fared well though -- the whole situation could have gone very bad very fast.

Bec

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am sorry to hear that Chris, I was on the opposite side of that problem last summer with the dog my wife brought home. With the exception of liking to sleep on our bed and couches it was a awesome dog in the house, great with kids, babies, and cats.

Already a 2nd chance dog as it had attacked the previous owners - neighbors dog. When outside it was never w/o a leash or chain or rope as it liked to run far and we knew it didnt do well with other dogs. One afternoon it broke its rope or whatever was holding it and attacked my neighbors dog, leaving several small puncture wounds before I got there.

Thankfully we have really nice neighbors, we paid their vet bills and that was it. Their dog was a little timid for a while but has come back around.

I'm sure powder will come around in time, might not be this week, or even this month but I know you guys care for her and it will happen.

--Mike

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to get very upset about loose dogs. I'm a road biker and have had dogs chase me a few times. Having a dog / dogs snap at my unprotected legs while I ride really sux.

Team Bear Bear
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lostby7 wrote:
I tend to get very upset about loose dogs. I'm a road biker and have had dogs chase me a few times. Having a dog / dogs snap at my unprotected legs while I ride really sux.

And those dogs always chase you after a long, uphill climb!

I don’t mean to pick on pit bulls or pit bull owners. Was just stating the fact that, that was what they were. My (limited) understanding is that any dogs temperament is mostly related to their training. If a dog is raised in a kind and caring environment, that is what the dogs temperament will be. If however it is raised and taught to be mean and aggressive that is what it will be.

I also believe that these dogs were bred to be fighters and you cannot train that completely out of them, it is their nature. My issue would be with irresponsible owners. What really raised an eyebrow is that the owner contacted the police and let them know the dogs had escaped. Did the owner know that they were a menace?

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad your two dogs seem to be ok. I've heard many stories about pets being torn apart by pit bulls.

As has been implied here, the fault is not the dogs, the fault is the breeders who have created violent hybrids and owners who do not understand or control those animals.

I run and road bike nearly 100% on rural roads and fortunately a snout full (or eye full if I can aim right) of pepper spray is enough to turn chasers away. Fortunately I haven't had to use the Glock...yet...

Last edited by gotta run on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total 
furfool
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My sister and her boyfriend own a pit and a doberman. They are both about the biggest babies I have ever seen. However. I constantly have my eyes on those dogs when ever me or my family is around them. I just don't trust those breeds. Their previous two dogs were the same breeds as well and they too were big babies. To me it's obvious that it matters how they are raised and treated. I just have a hard time getting past that stigma I guess. I get very protective when I see a strange dog around my house, and if need be I am willing to kill it if I have to. I'm just thankful that we have never had any problems with one.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to hear about your dog but unless your 110% sure your dog has no bites you should take it to a vet for a check up. Some puncture wounds will close back up and can be very hard to see. Only a week later or so, an infection might set in causing serious problems.

For your legal rights that some might not tell you about please read this.
Wisconsin Statutes

In short, if your dog is hurt the owner owes you the monies for treatment.
174.02 1a

heck just read all of 174.02

cheezehead
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hate hearing stories like that. I have 3 Labs. The most they would do to anyone is lick ya to death or I should say is jump up. push ya down and stand on your chest while licking ya to death. My youngest lab thinks he part kangaroo. When I come home from work, he jumps straight up at the door and almost hits the ceiling.

I did see in the newspaper last week that had a story about therapy dogs and nursing home and one of the dogs was a Pit bull. It went through 6 months of training and test like wheel chairs running over their paws and such. Not all dogs are bad. A lot of it has to do with how they are raised.

K0rpl
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I wasn't there for the Attack, but was there shortly therafter, and I could see some differences in Powder. after all the time I spend there, Powder is my friend!! I could see all the Blood all over the yard, and Chris is not exaggrating at all. It was a huge area. Glad that Powder came out of it OK, and Hope all is well in the future. Just goes to show what can happen in sh span of a minute or so.

Get Well Soon Powder!!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Im sorry TBB for powders attack.. IF it was me the Pitbulls would have gotten there Rabies shots 230 grains at a time no questions asked!

Mrskracker
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

PCFrog wrote:

For your legal rights that some might not tell you about please read this.
Wisconsin Statutes

PCFrog, this was some great info to pass on here. I knew that if a dog inflicts harm to People on 2 ocassions there is an order for the animal to be put down, however I didn't know that it also included other domestic animals.

Team Bear Bear, I would suggest doing some investigation and find out if there has been other reports filed against this woman and her dogs for harm they may have inflicted. If so, then go to your town board and present this information and ask that an order be issued for these dogs to be either removed from her custody or put down.
I know, as a dog lover myself, this is hard. But if these dogs have harmed other animals, or even people before, and they hit Powder this time.. they will do it again. The potential is there for them to harm people as well and that endangers every person in the neighborhood.

On another note, this is one reason why I am very thankful that we have a fenced in yard for our dogs protection. Coated chicken wire and posts do a wonderful job.

LDove
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

What a frightening experience for you! Glad your dog is ok.

View next topic
View previous topic