49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So, I downloaded Firefox because I was told so many times how great it was. I didn't install it until this morning, and when I did, it worked great. It was lightning fast compared to IE.

Here's the problem. After I shut down the computer, and then came back and restarted about 1/2 hour later, I suddenly could not connect to the internet. Nothing on my network could.

I tried uninstalling firefox to no avail. I called my ISP who said the signal is strong, but they could not read my computer or even the modem in my house from their end. I was told it was a network adapter problem.

I called GeekSquad and spent a bunch of time with them as they diagnosed the problem on the phone, for free to this point I must add. After the diagnostics they said I'd have to ahev a tech come out or bring it by the store because it looked like my operating system was damaged. Cost=$199-$399. I don't think so. Not yet anyway. Can you say new computer for that price?

So, I'm trying to contact Firefox and can find no contact numbers for them. Can anyone find them?

Or, can anyone help?

Details:
Windows XP
Error message when I try to connect: "A connection could not be established because windows did not assign a network address"

I've tried repeatedly to assign a new IP address and it fails every time. I've tried to connect by bypassing my router and that also does not work.

Here is the one odd thing. On my router, the lights on the front recognize my PS3, and my laptop, but the light for my main computer does not light. It's like it does not know it's there even though the computer tells me my connection speed is 100mbps.

Any ideas?

HELP!!!

Jeremy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It does sound like an Ethernet hardware or driver problem, which would be indicated by the lack of a "link" light on the router and the fact that you can't get an IP address assigned (by DHCP I assume).

Have you checked the cabling between the router and computer? (Plugged /unplugged, used a different physical port on the router, tried a different cable?) When you say you tried to "bypass" the router, were you then plugging directly into the modem?

If you know how to bring up a command prompt, run ipconfig /all and see what it thinks is up with the Ethernet adapter.

(Attempt to find humor in the situation: Maybe you burned your Ethernet card out by transferring all that data so quickly when you were using Firefox? Smile Seriously, I find it hard to believe that installing Firefox could cause a problem like this, and the corrupt OS diagnosis from the Geek Squad doesn't seem right either.)

K0rpl
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have to agree with Jeremy. I run Safari, Firefox, and Opera on the Mac. On the PC, I run Firefox, and Opera.

It sound to me like your cable mode/ or DSL Modem is to blame. Even if you had a Driver problem on your Ethernet Card, it would boot, and give you a link Light , and they could ping it from the outside world.

I would definetely look at cabling, or a bad Cable Modem/DSL Modem, or router....

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a tech guy so I can't speculate on your meltdown, but I have been using Netscape, Firefox, Mozilla and now Sea Monkey for nearly 10 years with nearly Zero issues I love the browser(s) and find it (them) very stable and secure.

The only issue I have ever had is the fact that every once and a while I will find a web-page that does not fully display on my browser as the code was not written to play nice with my browser. For the most part though I wouldn't even know it wasn't showing up correctly as the issues are normally small ones...that's why I also run IE.

I'm sorry you have had trouble....computers suck.

Mathman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

tyedyeskyguy wrote:
So, I downloaded Firefox because I was told so many times how great it was. I didn't install it until this morning, and when I did, it worked great. It was lightning fast compared to IE.

Here's the problem. After I shut down the computer, and then came back and restarted about 1/2 hour later, I suddenly could not connect to the internet. Nothing on my network could.

I tried uninstalling firefox to no avail. I called my ISP who said the signal is strong, but they could not read my computer or even the modem in my house from their end. I was told it was a network adapter problem.

I called GeekSquad and spent a bunch of time with them as they diagnosed the problem on the phone, for free to this point I must add. After the diagnostics they said I'd have to ahev a tech come out or bring it by the store because it looked like my operating system was damaged. Cost=$199-$399. I don't think so. Not yet anyway. Can you say new computer for that price?

So, I'm trying to contact Firefox and can find no contact numbers for them. Can anyone find them?

Or, can anyone help?

Details:
Windows XP
Error message when I try to connect: "A connection could not be established because windows did not assign a network address"

I've tried repeatedly to assign a new IP address and it fails every time. I've tried to connect by bypassing my router and that also does not work.

Here is the one odd thing. On my router, the lights on the front recognize my PS3, and my laptop, but the light for my main computer does not light. It's like it does not know it's there even though the computer tells me my connection speed is 100mbps.

Any ideas?

HELP!!!

This may sound strange but might help. Do you have Norton "Go Back?" or some other software like "System Restore?" I have found this to be helpful when I have had problems. You return to a "safe" spot in your computer's history. This has always helped me .

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

GeekSquad, FireDog and gateway all thought it was either the network adapter (which said it was working fine) or the OS.

I tried all kinds of things last night with them, and other things I tried myself, to no avail.

I got stressed to the point of feeling sick, and gave up. Had a jack and coke, ok, 3 jack and cokes, and went to bed.

I woke up this morning, turned on the computer to get some info for GeekSquad, and the damn thing worked just fine.

I doon't get it. I won't pretend that I'll ever get it. All I know is that whatever happen, happened immediately after installing FireFox.

I've uninstalled FireFoz, and don't plan to go back, because in all this I learned something. Yes fireFox was faster, but only because it turned off my firewall. My internet is about 95% as fast as Firefox was. I turn on the the firewall and they are both just as slow. But firefox will still open that damn map of Deejay's in seconds instead of decades.

I'm still going to by a mac next time around. Have you played with the new MacBook Air? WOW!!!!! But $1800 is a bit much for me, and I don't need another laptop.

Anyone have a few year old mac they wanna sell? Or know of a deal out there?

Why oh why didn't I pick up on that Woot.com deal on the Mac cube? $499 and I passed. What an a**! Very Happy

I'm just happy I have a working computer this morning!!!

Dom Nizza
WGA Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

I followed this thread just to understand a little of what you are talking about. Laughing .. Laughing But, I found a new "Bar" in town that might be able to help.

New Computer Chain that provides very highly sophisticated information for Cyber-Geeks like you guys. I tried to order a drink at the bar... and I was advised they don't serve drinks there. Is there a Knowledge Bar in your area and can they help? .. Rolling Eyes .. Rolling Eyes
. .

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OK, so maybe the problem wasn't FireFox after all. The problem came back today again. I put the computer on stand-by while I went back to work for a few minutes. this is something I almost never do. I haven't used the stand-by function for over a year, until yesterday. Hmmm. Two days in a row I had to use stand-by, and two days in a row that the computer froze up coming off stand-by, and two days in a row this problem occur ed.

It seems fixing the problem is as simple as leaving the computer powered down for for an hour or so. Now this is all starting to make sense. But now the question is; why is the computer freezing up after being put in stand-by?

I'm still blaming Firefox though. If I hadn't downloaded it, I wouldn't have used stand-by either time. Very Happy

SammyClaws
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tyedyeskyguy wrote:
OK, so maybe the problem wasn't FireFox after all. The problem came back today again. I put the computer on stand-by while I went back to work for a few minutes. this is something I almost never do. I haven't used the stand-by function for over a year, until yesterday. Hmmm. Two days in a row I had to use stand-by, and two days in a row that the computer froze up coming off stand-by, and two days in a row this problem occur ed.

It seems fixing the problem is as simple as leaving the computer powered down for for an hour or so. Now this is all starting to make sense. But now the question is; why is the computer freezing up after being put in stand-by?

I'm still blaming Firefox though. If I hadn't downloaded it, I wouldn't have used stand-by either time. Very Happy

I have a Dell laptop that does the same thing in standby mode. It seems like standby powers down the network adapter and it loses its connection. But when it powers up, it does not go and get another IP address from the DHCP. That is my guess as to what mine does. However since its just a laptop (low power consumption anyways) I just lock it through the screen saver. Personally, I think power saver modes and standby create more problems than what is savd by using them. Just my .02

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SammyClaws wrote:
tyedyeskyguy wrote:

I have a Dell laptop that does the same thing in standby mode. It seems like standby powers down the network adapter and it loses its connection. But when it powers up, it does not go and get another IP address from the DHCP. That is my guess as to what mine does. However since its just a laptop (low power consumption anyways) I just lock it through the screen saver. Personally, I think power saver modes and standby create more problems than what is savd by using them. Just my .02

It's also bad on the environment. Think how much CO˛ is added to the atmosphere every year by computers waiting on stand-by. Mad

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="tyedyeskyguy"]
SammyClaws wrote:

It's also bad on the environment. Think how much CO˛ is added to the atmosphere every year by computers waiting on stand-by. Mad

Actually it saves TONS of electricity compared to leaving a PC running, if your PC doesn't have any issues resuming from standby or hibernate I would definitely use it.
I fix PC's and have seen this standby resume issue numerous times. To fix the issue next time simply reboot your computer or follow these directions: click Start, run & type CMD & press enter. Now type ipconfig /release & hit enter, now ipconfig /renew & hit enter.

Now your pc should connect to the internet just fine.

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tyedyeskyguy wrote:
OK, so maybe the problem wasn't FireFox after

Just wondering why firefox made you use standby? or was it just by chance you used standby for the first time in a year after you installing it? I was also wondering where you downloaded firefox from? make sure you got it directly from mozilla here:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

I have seen some spyware filled versions out on the web, and yes some spyware does install crappy network drivers in an attempt to have a backdoor to your computer. I doubt this is what happened to you but its always a possibility.

hogrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tyedyeskyguy wrote:

I called GeekSquad and spent a bunch of time with them as they diagnosed the problem on the phone, for free to this point I must add. After the diagnostics they said I'd have to have a tech come out or bring it by the store because it looked like my operating system was damaged. Cost=$199-$399. I don't think so. Not yet anyway. Can you say new computer for that price?

Please what ever you do don't ever take anything to them, you will get better quality service for half the price from any local PC repair. There are many videos and stories online of them blatantly misdiagnosing simple issues and the customer getting charged hundreds of dollars for three minute fixes.
I hate seeing people get ripped off.

K0rpl
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

did a little Digging, and came up with this last night for you.

There is a "Service Pack 3" for windows. Go to microsoft.com and search SP3. This is to eliminate problems with computers coming out of Hibernation/standby.

If I find the Link again, I will post it here.

*Edit*

Here is the Link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en#filelist

Justin

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

K0rpl wrote:
There is a "Service Pack 3" for windows. Go to microsoft.com and search SP3. This is to eliminate problems with computers coming out of Hibernation/standby.
Justin

Windows XP service pack 3 does fix this issue(I've had it running on a couple machines for the last few months), but service pack 3 hasn't been released to the public yet. You can download it and install it but you may find some issues since this is still a pre-release.
I never have had any issues with SP3 update but your probably better waiting until it's released to the public sometime Q1 of 2008.

here's the SP3 Release Candidate download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=114f3599-12af-42b2-aab1-b969a62c68a7&DisplayLang=en

View next topic
View previous topic