49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
emtcop
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have had to go round and round with the reviewer about a cache placement and it takes days to get a response back from them the area I placed the cache does have other caches in the area as the crow flyies they may be close but on the ground they far apart looking on a map you Can not tell that the reviewer should take the word of the Cacher with more than a grain of salt I may be way off base but it is getting to the point that it is not fun any more to try and caches approved please let me know you think

zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

emtcop wrote:
I have had to go round and round with the reviewer about a cache placement and it takes days to get a response back from them the area I placed the cache does have other caches in the area as the crow flyies they may be close but on the ground they far apart looking on a map you Can not tell that the reviewer should take the word of the Cacher with more than a grain of salt I may be way off base but it is getting to the point that it is not fun any more to try and caches approved please let me know you think

I guess I am a little biased on this one, because I consider both of our WI approvers good friends. And I think they are doing a great job.

However, I do agree that it can be a bit frustrating at times to get a cache published. I have about 230 caches out, and am currently working on a new big series of caches (The Gr8 River Road series) so I have a lot of contact with the approvers. And yes, they routinely disable, archive, question and generally make the process tough sometimes, despite our friendships and the number of caches that I have placed. I guess I am sharing that to let you know that is just how it is, and overall it is a good thing that they are working to keep cache placements legal and of the best possible quality.

A couple of things that you can do to decrease the hassles:

1. Read all of the guidelines, and try to fit your cache into something within the guidelines.

2. Anticipate and respond to potential reasons to not approve up front when you submit the cache in the comment to reviewers section. For example, if the cache is near train tracks, measure the distance and tell them how far away the tracks are. If there is another cache 490 feet away, but it is seperated by a river, tell them that you know that is within .1 mile, but that they are on opposite sides of a wide river so you hope the .1 mile guideline can be waived.

3. When they do disable a cache, they will tell you why. Either respond to the issue that they bring up, or change the cache placement to fit within the guidelines.

4. Understand that some of the rules are guidelines and can be bent, and some are hard and fast rules that the approvers have no control of. For example, I recently placed a cache right on the edge of a SNA. They have no control of the rule prohibiting caches in SNAs, so that is a non-starter. That happened to me recently, and I just looked at the map carefully, and went and picked up the cache, and placed it nearby where it was legal.

5. Keep on trying. I am looking forward to heading up your way again soon, and I look forward to finding your caches.

zuma

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 
emtcop
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I do understand it is just very frustrating at times the other thing that I do not under stand is why they do not use a ID that and inform us as to where they are because I think it would be nice to know if I am talk to someone that live in Madison or Hayward it would just be nice to know because if they live in the area they maybe able to understand the area better just a thought because their ID says nothing as to where they are some background would be nice

elfdoctors
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've had a little difficulty getting a few caches near the St. Croix River approved but once I learned the process, subsequent approvals went well. Overall, I also think the reviewers are doing a good job.

emtcop
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

now that I have email back and forth to the review they have been very helpful and have been doing a great job THANK YOU Very Happy Laughing

emtcop
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

just a question how are the local reviewers chosen is it a groundspeak thing or is it the state association that chooses just wandering they are doing a good job just wandering how they got it

cheezehead
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

KUDOS to the Wisconsin Reviewers. Past and Present. It's a thankless job. Good question as to how one gets chosen thou.

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

emtcop wrote:
I do understand it is just very frustrating at times the other thing that I do not under stand is why they do not use a ID that and inform us as to where they are because I think it would be nice to know if I am talk to someone that live in Madison or Hayward it would just be nice to know because if they live in the area they maybe able to understand the area better just a thought because their ID says nothing as to where they are some background would be nice

The reviewers may not be from your area, but they were chosen to be our reviewers because they are of some of our most seasoned geocachers.

Remember that they are volunteers, and that they are following strict guidelines.

That said, I know how frustrating it can be to have issues with cache placements. And that frustration is compounded when there are delays in getting responses from the reviewers, although they both seem to have quick turn around times to me. But here is one last thing to remember. The reviewers are people to, and they have lives just like you and I. You cannot expect them to be at your beckon call when you need them. Getting angry will not speed up the process. Being patient might.

nohandsgps
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I attended a few Geocaching seminars over the winter/spring that were great for learning how to find caches. Maybe at events or any other time we could have someone teach the newbies how to hide a cache. Training should reduce the amount of headaches for the reviewers.

zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

emtcop wrote:
just a question how are the local reviewers chosen is it a groundspeak thing or is it the state association that chooses just wandering they are doing a good job just wandering how they got it

Hi,

Mostly, it is a secret handshake type of thing. Wink

Generally, reviewers are selected if they are 1) experienced geocachers, 2) have good computer skills, 3) have good communication skills, 4) have the time, and are willing, and 5) generally support the rules and guidelines of gc.com and are not pot-stirring rabble rousers.

It is hard to find folks that meet all 5 of those criteria, and we are lucky to have the 2 great reviewers we have now. Our past reviewers Brian, Brian and Jeff T. also did a great job.

Caching in other states as much as I do, I appreciate the great work that our reviewers do. Illinois is particularly bad, and I have found a number of caches in illegal locations in Illinois, under bridges, quite near rail tracks, etc that you dont see in Wisconsin. And dont get me started on Power Trails. In California and parts of Colorado, there is a cache every .1 mile for no particular reason, other than numbers.

(And since the Iowa reviewer frequents this forum, I will also mention that I have cached a lot in MN and some in Iowa, and both of those states have excellent reviewers, at least in terms of not running across illegally placed caches.)

zuma

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 
-cheeto-
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Found one in Illinois on a bridge railing over Salt Creek... was thinking to myself, that one like this would never be approved in Wisconsin Smile

With good consistent application of the rules, we can all enjoy a much safer search for geocaches. Most of the guidelines are for safety.. well there's the .1 thing. (and dont get me started on the "agendas" in caches topic). I've never really had a big problem with our local reviewers. They are good at communicating any issues they have and easy to work with to fix those items.

I am amazed by how many caches get published on just about a daily basis in Wisconsin... I tell you, if I was someone as involved as our reviewers are I'd be divorced.. so you can add "being single" as another preferred attribute wink

emtcop
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

that still does not answer my question as to who picks the reviewers just wandering how they are chosen they do a great job

View next topic
View previous topic