49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
GetMeOutdoors
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

I need help planning a geo-run. I'm planning on going over by Eauclaire and the way I see it, I have 4 choices for caching:

The loop west of Eau Claire that begins at Township Memorial Park and goes south from there (HFRT / Bear Claw series)

The cluster just SE of Coon Fork County Park (Explore CF)

The cluster(s) just north of the river, east of Altoona Lake (HBZ/CVB)

The myriad within Eau Claire itself.

I'll be equipped with a mountain bike and by myself. I'd like to rake at least 30 in but I don't want them to be lame. I'm driving from Wausau so that's about 2 hours roughly driving time. I don't have the option of staying overnight so I'd have about 8-10 caching hours to fill.

Your suggestions and recommendations are appreciated. Pros and cons of the options and your insight there would be welcomed as well. Thanks, everybody!

And on a separate note, I would not be opposed to teaming up with someone, I just wasn't expecting to. I'm planning on an aggressive day. That's not usually everyone' speed Smile

kansas64
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

We are planning on visiting the are soon ourselves and have seen a good number of comments about the cahces in Bjorson (sp?) Forrest between Eau Claire and Menomonee

bnb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bjornson is past Menomonie; it is outside of Knapp. They are great caches, I just wanted to verify their location since it is further west than just past Eau Claire.

GetMeOutdoors
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I've gone back and forth about Bjornson. I have driven past it before a couple times. But I think I can fill a day caching without having to drive quite as far. Less drive = more caching. Know what I'm sayin' Wink

Team Honeybunnies
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jack Pine Savage's caches in the Clark County Forest are really good, and in a pretty undeveloped area. You'll have the area mostly to yourself, and there have been quite a few bear sightings in the area, though we never seem to get lucky enough.

The HFRT and Bear Claw series are more park n' grab flavored (yes, even in the woods), and you'll be sharing the roads with quite a few ATVers. Still, there are some really nice spots in the series, especially the Big Rock Bonus.

The Coon Forks series is also very good, but the entire series uses an odd container, a sawed-off piece of PVC with a waterproof tracing paper of some sort rolled up in it. Nice idea, but they seem light, and we found one on the ground and DNFed another that turned out to be fallen downhill, and that was only a week or two after they were out. The Coon Forks series will be mostly grabbing several caches between car moves, and it's in a fee area. We spent the better part of a day to get all 31(?), but that was on foot and with the Noah in the chest harness.

Overall, JPS's caches don't see nearly enough visitors. He's done a great job of highlighting a really pretty area with a ton of caches. We just keep going back to kick around the woods there. You won't be disappointed, and you'll probably run out of time before you run out of caches.

Hope that helps!

LMcGisme
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Another area you might want to check out is Lowes Creek County Park, south of Eau Claire, just on the other side of I94. There are about 20 caches there, hidden by a variety of cachers, so there are different hide styles and types. I think there's only one parking area (locals please correct me if I'm wrong) so it means hiking through a beautiful park to get them all. I can't remember for sure if bikes were allowed or not on the trails, but I seem to think they were allowed on at least some of them (locals please correct me if I'm wrong, again).

I had a great time caching that area last May. Most caches were regular sized, well spaced out (not a like power trail), and it was great to park & hike instead of driving from cache to cache.

Aye-Ch
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LMcGisme wrote:
Another area you might want to check out is Lowes Creek County Park, south of Eau Claire, just on the other side of I94. There are about 20 caches there, hidden by a variety of cachers, so there are different hide styles and types. I think there's only one parking area (locals please correct me if I'm wrong) so it means hiking through a beautiful park to get them all. I can't remember for sure if bikes were allowed or not on the trails, but I seem to think they were allowed on at least some of them (locals please correct me if I'm wrong, again).

I had a great time caching that area last May. Most caches were regular sized, well spaced out (not a like power trail), and it was great to park & hike instead of driving from cache to cache.

I really enjoyed the Lowes Creek caches, and would highly recommend them. Not only are bikes allowed, but it is well known as an excellent off-road biking area. The trails can be biked or hiked, and some of the trails offer a significant degree of biking difficulty (although you don't have to take the harder trails to get to most of the caches). The caches are almost all ammo cans, with some fun hiding techniques. If you are looking for a decent number of finds for your time, Lowes Creek is a great place to go. Not to mention that the scenery is beautiful!

There is one main parking area, and there's only one ot two caches that would be faster to reach via road rather than via trail. The trails are great though, so there's not much temptation to want to take any shortcuts.

GetMeOutdoors
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was able to do some of the caches in Lowe's creek last year. I had both my sons with me (2 and 0 at the time) and so I was only able to get a handful but the ones I did get to were pretty neat. If I wind up going into town to cache, that's probably where I'll start.

GetMeOutdoors
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Team Honeybunnies wrote:
Jack Pine Savage's caches in the Clark County Forest are really good, and in a pretty undeveloped area. You'll have the area mostly to yourself, and there have been quite a few bear sightings in the area, though we never seem to get lucky enough.

Sorry for my density... which group of caches is this referring to?

Team Honeybunnies
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

There are actually a handful of series there, including the HFRT caches, the Bear Claw series, and the Explore Coon Forks series. He also has the Etched In Stone (EIS) series in cemeteries that shares the same general area east and just a bit south of Eau Claire.

I have great memories of a solo afternoon of caching, chasing Bear Claws and listening to Garrison Keillor with the leaves changing last year Cool .

zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GetMeOutdoors wrote:
I need help planning a geo-run. I'm planning on going over by Eauclaire and the way I see it, I have 4 choices for caching:

The loop west of Eau Claire that begins at Township Memorial Park and goes south from there (HFRT / Bear Claw series)

The cluster just SE of Coon Fork County Park (Explore CF)

The cluster(s) just north of the river, east of Altoona Lake (HBZ/CVB)

The myriad within Eau Claire itself.

I'll be equipped with a mountain bike and by myself. I'd like to rake at least 30 in but I don't want them to be lame. I'm driving from Wausau so that's about 2 hours roughly driving time. I don't have the option of staying overnight so I'd have about 8-10 caching hours to fill.

Your suggestions and recommendations are appreciated. Pros and cons of the options and your insight there would be welcomed as well. Thanks, everybody!

And on a separate note, I would not be opposed to teaming up with someone, I just wasn't expecting to. I'm planning on an aggressive day. That's not usually everyone' speed Smile

I agree with all the suggestions already posted. I will just add that if you are using a mountain bike, than the Lowes Creek area will be the most appealing, since that area has a network of excellent off road bike trails. Most of the caches there are ammo boxes by WI Robin, so I may be a bit prejudiced, but I think you will enjoy the area.

The Coon Forks series of caches by Jack Pine Savage are also doable by bike, but the trails are better for walking than biking, though bikes are allowed and folks do bike them. Most of those caches are easy to find micros, quite close to the trails.

Both areas are scenic, and you should be able to get 30+ finds easily. My suggestion is to make 2 trips, one day to Coon Forks and one day to Lowes Creek.

zuma

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 

View next topic
View previous topic