49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
March 2014 Northern Zone:
Apostle Islands-Mawikwe Sea Caves

Winner -
March 2014 Northeast Zone:
Moscow, We Have A Problem

Winner -
March 2014 West Central Zone:
World Wide Quarters

Winner -
March 2014 South Central Zone:
WSQ Dunn

Winner -
March 2014 Southeast Zone:
Risen King

Winner -
March 2014 Series of the Month:
Woodpecker Series of Johnson Creek

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

For those of you who were around, we held an event in Green Bay that highlighted many of the historic locations in and around our city. We had about 40 temp caches and a nice little booklet highlighting the historical significance of each of the cache locations. We also had an intro to geocaching seminar in the morning, door prizes and cook out.

We have been asked by the Brown County Historical Society and other organizations if we would be willing to hold this event again. We have agreed to do so and are looking at either the first or second weekend of May 2009.

This time around, we are looking at having permenant caches placed for this event. To do this to a high degree of quality, are there any local cachers out there who would be willing to help out hiding and maintaining caches? Is there anyone interested in helping to download waypoints to GPSrs the morning of the event? We'll do this on our own if need be, but extra help would be appreciated.

Katrina

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Count me in chief.

What\'s life? Life\'s easy. A quirk of matter. Nature\'s way of keeping meat fresh 
K0rpl
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You bet. Thanks Kat!

WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Kat,
when planning the date keep in mind, according to the WGA newsletter that just came out.

The WGA Board has chosen High Cliff State Park (south of Appleton on the eastern shore of Lake Winnebago) as the location for the 8th annual Geo-Campout. The event will take place the weekend of May 15-17.

I guess that is actually the third weekend but that would make for a busy two weeks.

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
Decrepit
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Glad to hear this is in the works. My nephews keep asking me when we are going to another one of those conventions. I had no clue what he was talking about until I pinned him down further and asked him to tell me about the one we went to. He said it was when we stayed at the hotel where I pushed him in the pool (well that didn't help, I always do that) and where we were trying to find things in the rain and they posed for a picture at McDonalds. Ok! finding things in the rain. Must have been caching. Very Happy After looking back at pictures, it was the last Green Bay event. I'm looking foward to this one. Time to mark the calendar!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I got a list of some locations from the historical society. Unfortunately I can't do anything with them as there are already caches within 528 feet and none of them with any historical reference to them. There are still a few avenues left to explore, but I'm not too terribly optimistic.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

AstroD-Team wrote:
I got a list of some locations from the historical society. Unfortunately I can't do anything with them as there are already caches within 528 feet and none of them with any historical reference to them. There are still a few avenues left to explore, but I'm not too terribly optimistic.

What about using the historical sites as waypoints for a multi cache or puzzle. That would be allowed within 528' of the existing caches.

AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mister Greenthumb wrote:
AstroD-Team wrote:

What about using the historical sites as waypoints for a multi cache or puzzle. That would be allowed within 528' of the existing caches.

Hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the idea!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you need any help in the placement of these caches just let us know. Thanks for your work on this.

Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

We hope this event happens. We miss Green Bay. Our son lived there for 10 years while he was the Village Adminstrator for Bellevue and we visited often. Unfortunately that was before we were geocachers. Now we pass by whenever we go to White Potato Lake but haven't had a chance to do very many finds in Brown County yet. We've cached with Peach and Justin and look forward to meeting some of the other GB cachers. We'll be watching for this one.

Mister Greenthumb and Sunshine
Bill and Vicki

Frizz
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think the Greater Green Bay Challenge was one of the best events that I've attended, EVER. I was relatively new to caching, and had a blast finding about 75% of the temp hides and meeting area cachers.

I have been thinking about puttting together an event at Heritage Hill State Park, and hiding temp caches in each of the areas/buildings using historical cache containers (pottery vessels, buckskin pouches, etc.), but I haven't had an opportunity to follow through with it. There are 18 acres to work with, and caches could be very creative. There is also a new visitors center for a pot luck/catered meal afterwards. Perhaps you could consider Heritage Hill for this event?

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Frizz wrote:
I think the Greater Green Bay Challenge was one of the best events that I've attended, EVER. I was relatively new to caching, and had a blast finding about 75% of the temp hides and meeting area cachers.

I have been thinking about puttting together an event at Heritage Hill State Park, and hiding temp caches in each of the areas/buildings using historical cache containers (pottery vessels, buckskin pouches, etc.), but I haven't had an opportunity to follow through with it. There are 18 acres to work with, and caches could be very creative. There is also a new visitors center for a pot luck/catered meal afterwards. Perhaps you could consider Heritage Hill for this event?

Frizz, I'm already in talks with Heritage Hill (and a few other locations). I already got permission to place a cache a Hazelwood. But can't do anything until closer to the date.

Having the backing of some local organizations and having done this previously with much success, I think this event will be as good or better than last time. Hopefully better than last time.

View next topic
View previous topic