49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since we started a new tech section I decided to start a new thread about this model GPS. I was cleaning out my jewelry chest and low and behold two REI credit slips (one from 2000 and one from 2001) which I had totally forgotten about. Long story short I just bought a Oregon 200 for $100 out of pocket.

I'm still trying to figure it all out but will report back when I start getting a feel for the new model. The cache page text on the GPS IS cool though....I'm not totally sure how to get multiple cache pages uploaded yet....one at a time is kinda cumbersome...I hope I'm just doing it wrong.

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Gary, you load it with GPX files, just like those you get with your pocket queries. (I do believe you need to unzip them first.) Plug the GPS into your PC and it should show up as a removable drive. Of course, if you want to correct the coordinates or do filters or whatever, you can just use GSAK, save your edited database as a GPX and load that. It is really that easy.

zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lostby7 wrote:
Since we started a new tech section I decided to start a new thread about this model GPS. I was cleaning out my jewelry chest and low and behold two REI credit slips (one from 2000 and one from 2001) which I had totally forgotten about. Long story short I just bought a Oregon 200 for $100 out of pocket.

I'm still trying to figure it all out but will report back when I start getting a feel for the new model. The cache page text on the GPS IS cool though....I'm not totally sure how to get multiple cache pages uploaded yet....one at a time is kinda cumbersome...I hope I'm just doing it wrong.

Hi Gary,

There is a wiki on both the Oregon and the Colorado on-line at the Garmin site, so I would go there for operating info. I just got a Colorado and have seen the Oregon, which is similar in operation, except it uses a touch screen for user input rather than the dial.

Anyway, on both the Oregon and Colorado, there are 3 ways to get the geocaches into the device:

1. The one you are currently using, one at time. I use this from time to time if I am going to just get one or two caches, such as in a FTF type situation. It is a useful feature and is quite quick but not really usable for a long caching trip.

2. The gpx file method that Dave mentioned, that is described in the wiki, and which I havent tried yet, and probably wont, because I prefer method 3. The disadvantage of this method is that you can not sort or thin out caches in the PQ that you do not intend to attempt.

3. Download the Colorado/Oregon macro onto GSAK. To do so, you will first have to update GSAK, but the instructions are right in the upload info on how to update GSAK for free. In this way, you can still use GSAK to sort the caches that you intend to do. The macro works quite quickly, and it is an easy and fast way to upload multiple caches into the Colorado or Oregon. So my advice is to get the GSAK macro for the Oregon. It works great.

P.S. to Jeremy: It would be quite helpful if you could add the Colorado/Oregon macro to GSAK prior to the West Bend event and the WGA campout as more people will be having this equipment.

zuma

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 
Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys. I will go check out the WIKI and see what I can learn...I see I will need to learn how to use GSAK...I was hoping not to have to learn how to use that program.

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure why you don't like GSAK, but I know you can use Easy GPS for the same duty. I believe you can use Mapsource to create a GPX file from a subset of the caches you load to it. In my opinion, Mapsource is much more awkward at dealing with large datasets, so I greatly prefer almost any of the third party solutions out there. I was going to check the functionality for you but I just noticed that I haven't reloaded Mapsource since I reimaged my machine around 3 months ago! I didn't even notice that it was missing, so I am not installing it until I need it to load some maps again.

zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lostby7 wrote:
Thanks guys. I will go check out the WIKI and see what I can learn...I see I will need to learn how to use GSAK...I was hoping not to have to learn how to use that program.

Hi again,

If you are not wanting to use GSAK, then you dont have to. Just use method 2 from the Wiki. I dont do it that way, because I prefer to use GSAK to sort and edit the cache list that I get from the PQ, so that I dont load caches onto the unit that I know I will not attempt. If you are content of loading the entire unedited PQ into your gpsr, you will not need GSAK.

zuma

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 
Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I found that I can just use Mapsource and then just click on each waypoints webpage link (that I want to find) then if I want to load it with text I can do it from each webpage. It works OK and also lets me choose what I want to find as I normally read notes and finders logs before going out any way. I never go after more than 60 at once and normally no more than 30.

The main reason I picked this one up is for a trip I'm planning across country for which I plan to have LOTS of caches prepared but which I may only end up doing a fraction of. I have wanted to go paperless for some time.

As for GSAK, it looks too much like a database and I have tried to use it but couldn't get it to work the way I wanted....I will eventually try to find someone to teach me how to use it though as I keep hearing how great it is....normally I'm very good at computer stuff....it could just be that I'm not willing to give it a real chance.

That WIKI page was great as it showed me lots of things that I was wondering about.

SammyClaws
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lostby7 wrote:

As for GSAK, it looks too much like a database and I have tried to use it but couldn't get it to work the way I wanted....I will eventually try to find someone to teach me how to use it though as I keep hearing how great it is....normally I'm very good at computer stuff....it could just be that I'm not willing to give it a real chance.

That WIKI page was great as it showed me lots of things that I was wondering about.

We've been using 300's since October and I believe we've gotten the hang of them pretty well. I also use GSAK to manage my data and create exports to the Oregon. I'm by no means an expert at GSAK like Dave, but I'd be willing to share what I've learned.

Also the Wiki page is great. Per that page I would not load beyond firmware 2.6. Its what we are running and have not had any problems.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OK...does the 300 series Oregon beep when routing on road for turns? The 200 does not and frankly that just may be a good reason for me to return the unit. That is pretty darn important to me.

Also I drove off route and the unit did not correct me on the fly to get back on route...is there a setting I need to flick on or do these not have the ability to Recalculate automatically?

Can anyone help me on this?

SammyClaws
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lostby7 wrote:
OK...does the 300 series Oregon beep when routing on road for turns? The 200 does not and frankly that just may be a good reason for me to return the unit. That is pretty darn important to me.

Also I drove off route and the unit did not correct me on the fly to get back on route...is there a setting I need to flick on or do these not have the ability to Recalculate automatically?

Yes the 300 does beep twice, as you get near and when you should be making the turn. And yes the unit will recalculate the route if you miss a turn. If you check the wiki there are a couple of things make the 300 more desirable than the 200. I believe memory and speaker are the two big ones.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

SammyClaws wrote:
Lostby7 wrote:

Yes the 300 does beep twice, as you get near and when you should be making the turn. And yes the unit will recalculate the route if you miss a turn. If you check the wiki there are a couple of things make the 300 more desirable than the 200. I believe memory and speaker are the two big ones.

I checked the WIKI but came up short.....looks like this one is on the way back to the store.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OK I returned the Oregon 200 yesterday and picked up the 300. The 300 is VASTLY better than the 200...it's quite a bit more money but to be honest the 200 is seriously lacking in several areas. The most irritating thing so far about the 300 is that it did not come with a lanyard....come on it would cost them like $0.50.

The auto-routing works well as does the recalculation feature....the sound is there for upcoming turns so that's a good thing. The alarm clock is really nice as a camping feature as I'm always out before first light..... I also really like that it also features fitness settings for biking and heat-rate monitoring (accessories needed).

It is not as well lit as the GPS60Cx so seeing the display is a bit more difficult...

I will report back once I actually go and try to find something....but as it's now been 48 days (who's counting) since I last found a cache it may be a bit longer. But, from what I can tell this is a far better unit than the Oregon 200.

...One note about the cache page information it displays (description, hints, terrain / difficulty, finder logs etc.):
Simple pages show up very nicely on screen, however if the page is rich in HTML all that code also appears and does make the page a bit harder to read on the unit...not terrible but yes a bit irritating.

djwini
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

why are the oregon/colorado better than the 60 series?

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

djwini wrote:

Honestly I don't think it is. The GPS60 series is a very well seasoned and useful unit. I was hoping that the paperless caching would be worth it but I'm not so sure it is. This unit is kinda awkward in terms of getting from function to function when navigating / caching. There are just way too many screens to visit to get all the needed information....many times requiring you to back out of screen after screen to change a simple function.

Another problem is that the CD user manual is nearly useless; it does not explain even half of the settings or functions...I'm VERY disappointed with that.

I'm still not sure about it's accuracy, I did finally get out and find a few caches but with all the screen changing and futzing around with settings I had a hard time concentrating on the units accuracy......when I was finally at my destinations (in part guided there with my GPS60Cx), the unit did have the same distance and direction from GZ as the GPS60Cx.

So far I'd say stick with the GPS60C series.

I'd like to hear how happy others are with this unit...

SammyClaws
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

djwini wrote:

The two biggest differences is the number of caches it can hold and it will hold the cache page - description, logs, and hints. True, you do have to navigate up and down the the menu tree, but I can get around it much faster than I did with my 76 or 60. The Oregon has a nice touch screen and the Colorado uses a wheel.

The two oddities are you have to stop navigating when you want to switch from road to field and you cannot delete a cache from the unit from the menu, you can only do it from a computer. Although I have not had much of a problem with the last one since we reload the cache file each time we go out anyways.

Our test for accuracy was to take the Oregons, the 60 and 76 out on the trail and compare them. All I can say about that, is when they were wrong, no two units agreed with each other, but were usually within 15 ft. Generally speaking all the units were within less than 10 ft of ground zero. About the only thing that did occur consistently is that Oregons lagged in updating by a second or so.

View next topic
View previous topic