49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since it was mentioned that there wasn't a chance at the LCG Event to tell some Lonely stories, perhaps some of the players would like to share their adventures.

What was your favorite Lonely Cache?
What was your most challenging?
What was the nastiest container you found?
What was the dumbest thing you did or attempted?

Our favorite Lonely Cache for 2008 was (GC145QH)KVR-HILO, in the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. It is a multi (for those with multiphobia), but the challenging terrain and fantastic view near the end are the true definition of what geocaching is about. It is not for the physically challenged or faint of heart, but it was the best 2 1/2 hours of caching we did last year.
Our nastiest container was a frozen spit wad in a film cannister.
Dumbest thing? Trying to do an "evil monkey" in the rain. Glad I was only 5 feet up when I slipped!

Thanks again for the great Event, seldom/seen. I'm sure there are some good stories from those that played the whole year. Time to sound off! Smile

uws22
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i did the cache Mallalieu Canoe in Hudson, WI on November 15th...
was too impatient to wait for the ice to freeze over and just walk out, especially since it had double points at the time. recruited the help of my future father-in-law, got some kayaks, and paddled out. probably not the smartest move considering the temp (37) and wind that day (12-15 mph), but he didn't complain. it was definitely the most challenging, and also my favorite because of it.

seldom|seen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JimandLinda wrote:

Let me see if I can pull this out of my brainbox. As so of you know most of my LCG caching was done in the dark so I was not always rewarded with the views you referred to above (although I had a cache placed higher than than the KVR-HILO spot you referenced but couldn't get it activated because of the proximity of one of its waypoints) so the things I remember are the unique challenges I faced at night, sometimes with no sleep for the previous 36-40 hours.

What was your favorite Lonely Cache? GCB00F - SMOKEY-BEAR PINES

THE BEST LONELY CACHE FIND OF THE WEEKEND, and there were a lot of great ones.

This is the epitome of what a good geocache is about, for me. To take you to a special place that you would never have seen were it not for the cache.

After a good warm-up on Friday getting a handful of lonely caches it was time to burn the midnight oil and get a few more before dawn when I had to get back to camp to prep for a full day of fishing.

This was my second stop and the timing was just right. Absolutely clear midnight sky, a cool 60-some degrees, slight breeze and I was taken to this place to visit a wise old elder. He invited me to slow down a bit and listen to a few stories (Ents are slow talkers) and so I did. I signed the cache, turned off my headlamp and sat there, listening, and looking at the stars.

Then the thoughts came rolling in. What am I doing way up here in the Northwoods at midnight looking for an ammo box? Seems like such a waste of time and fuel for such a silly premise. And that's what it would be if it were not for caches such as these. I thanked the elder for his time, his stories of trappers and traders and wished him well in his uncertain future and went on my way.

THANKS AGAIN for the opportunity to share a few moments with the old dude!

What was your most challenging? GCKJ6W Lookout Above II | Last One Standing (formerly Fire, Water, & Earth)

Without a doubt the longest single-most challenging cache of the year. Revisits, long hikes, water-crossing to nettle infested island, etc.

Where to start! Well, fourth trip to the tower and this time, the WP was finally there for me to find! On to WP2. Wow, it's that far away?

Got to within a half mile of WP2 and had to go by foot from there. When my son and I got to GZ, we were happy to discover that we could walk across the second part of the name to GZ, albiet with some slow and deliberate foot placement. Got to GZ and hunted for what seemed an eternity. The place was flush with varies species of Nettle and they all stung! After I reached my pain threshold, I looked for another ten minutes and gave up (my son was already back in the water waiting for me). As I had been given permission to replace it if I came up short, I placed a new WP2 with cords to the final. Unfortunately, I didn't have the container I intended to place and had to make due with something else I had along which should be fine for the rest of the summer.

On to the Final. Wow, is it that far away, again! Sheesh, now I see why this truly is a 4/4. Got as close as I could to GZ and left the son in the car to recover from WP2. Took quite a while. but in the end I found the final which was in terrific shape. I really wanted to drop a new TB of mine in here for the next lonely finder, but that was also in my back of tricks that didn't make it along. For some reason, I did have another personal trackable in my pocket, so I left that in here instead!

A great cache and well deserving of its rating. I have a feeling this will not be my last visit...
and also the most memorable. WP1 will be going back up to the top of the tower this year Smile

What was the nastiest container you found? GCE9A4 Westlund Cache

This cache was utterly shot and is in serious need of repair. There was no lid and it appeared as if the contents had been rotting away for a very long time. Emptied the container but couldn't sign anything.

Now typically I'm prepared to replace suspect caches, as I was this time. But I knew the owners were derelict in keeping up with the cache and responding to the many "needs help" hits on the listing, so I decided this one would be better left to rot in infamy than meet a similar fate down the road if I replaced it. Sure enough, it's been archived and is now a Rescue Mission listing.

What was the dumbest thing you did or attempted? GCVNH5 Beefies - The Simmental

What a mother... took the most direct route and got hung up in some of the most series vegetation of the series. Actually had to cross over water as I somehow ended up on the wrong side. Boy was I glad to get this one. bay far the toughest of the series.

There really more to this, but I had to let my temper cool and log it days later. I had to cross the river twice for this one and I don't have hip boots or anything of the kind. That meant going bare-legged through frigid knee-deep water (Nov). After 4 crossings, I was sure hypothermia was going to set in and I wasn't going to make it back to the car. It felt a little like my swim to and from Cram Island - you can ask Dave how spent I was from that adventure and how near death that find was. This one was on par with a similar sense of "oh hell, this time I've really done it" welling up inside.

I was one hell-of-a-year and one NOT to be repeated. I am happy to be watching from the dug-out this year, though I will certainly come out for a swing or two somewhere along the way, weather, time and gas-money permitting.

-cheeto-
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

First, based on reading some other's comments on how they played and reading their logs I can say that I wasn't nearly as adventurous. I finished in the top 10 because I live in the land of puzzles and there were a ton of lonely puzzles in March of 2008. I finished 1st that month with just over 250 points and that is what allowed me to even be a contender for top 10.

I will answer in a different order than was asked:

Easily has to be canoing off Jefferson park to find Oasis GC16W5J in 3 (was it 3, seemed like 5 or 6) foot choppy waters with Hemi knowing full-well the container was probably missing and we came prepared with new ammo can and some (bright orange) rope in hand. Only cost me a new cell phone, camera was spared and neither of us drowned. Scored 16.5 points on that one. Ah... the memories. Btw, a close second was probably breaking through the ice on Black Otter Lake in Hortonville trying to find Jamaica Mistaica GCZB4P (s|s witnessed the event) and we weren't even looking in the right spot!

Espagueti Occidentales (GC14WJJ) - For me, this is the most difficult puzzle I have ever laid eyes on. By difficult I don't mean cryptic. Cryptic is not difficult, it's frustrating. This one is difficult because you know what you have to do and no matter what approach I took it just kept taking longer and longer. It's no surprise this one lands on the lonely list often.

To be honesy I don't think any of the lonely caches I found were "nasty". After all, I do live near Dave who revisits and maintains all of our lonely caches for us in the land of puzzles.

I did try to find Cacalin GCVEMD (Now Archived) the EXACT same day as the owner had gone out and removed and archived it (which I didn't know they were going to do this). If you ever had the joy of doing this cache, you probably know why I nicknamed this one "Bushwack He**". (if you are tall like me it's bad..) So I scrounged the entire shoreline here for more than an hour and I ended up finding an ammo tape covered plastic tab from a lock and lock! (what are the odds...) Was a bummer I couldn't claim the smiley on this one. I did my part and removed the litter for 3 points.

Real Gone | Baby Gonna Leave Me (GCZPTW) - My favorite lonely cache find of the year. A brilliantly designed puzzle that's only been found a dozen times in over 2 years and I'm still the last finder on this one since last March. This one was funny because I didn't have a replacement log sheet with me and the log was soaked and I needed to sign something to prove I was there as I know the owner and Dave would be by later to see if I indeed had solved and visited. I ended up using a piece of the SOLVED matrix from Espagueti Occidentales as my replacement log sheet in this cache. I'm sure the owner pulled it back out but it was an interesting twist that no one caught onto.

I see more lonely puzzle finds on my horizon.... I have See Through Characters, Clang Boom Steam, Modles Nees, and several others to look forward to this year.

-cheeto-

Team Hemisphere Dancer
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

-cheeto- wrote:

Easily has to be canoing off Jefferson park to find Oasis GC16W5J in 3 (was it 3, seemed like 5 or 6) foot choppy waters with Hemi knowing full-well the container was probably missing and we came prepared with new ammo can and some (bright orange) rope in hand. Only cost me a new cell phone, camera was spared and neither of us drowned. Scored 16.5 points on that one. Ah... the memories. Btw, a close second was probably breaking through the ice on Black Otter Lake in Hortonville trying to find Jamaica Mistaica GCZB4P (s|s witnessed the event) and we weren't even looking in the right spot!

-cheeto-

This is my only Loney find so it qualifies for all the questions. Cheeto lleft out one thing, that was the sound of the"Hawaii 5-0" theme ringing in my ears while riding the waves back to the boat landing.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Team Hemisphere Dancer wrote:
This is my only Loney find so it qualifies for all the questions. Cheeto lleft out one thing, that was the sound of the"Hawaii 5-0" theme ringing in my ears while riding the waves back to the boat landing.

I remember reading about that escapade when you guys found that cache. Not that we were as crazy as you were, but we had similar feellings on two caches (not Lonely at the time) we did in September, right down to the "5-0" reference: GCPEVM first, then GCW5BT

Seems like there are lots of recurring experiences in this geocaching thing...

JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

C'mon, Lonely cachers... where are those tales of adventure?

Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question

labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe not the favorite but memorable:
For Immediate Release... (GC10P00)
Didn't seek out the raboon at 3am but did try to track it down in the dark as the sun set before the hunt could begin.
After determining the route to the raboon's habitat, the hunt began. After checking many trees for holes the raboon may be holed up in, and checking a very suspicious downed log only to get attacked by black ants, I feared the wiley animal may be out on its nocturnal wanderings for the night.
After a bit more searching another potential resting spot showed itself, and after carefully approaching, I was able to collect the lil'feller. After a bit of scratching under its chin, I set him back down and he scurried back into his hiding spot. I guess he had a little longer to sleep before venturing out tonight. With the difficulty in approaching the raboon's home range, it is suprising that the entire area isn't crawling with baby raboons. Perhaps, this one is unable to locate a mate. Even still, it seems to be happy where it is. happy bachelor raboon!

Sleeping Giant Mountain (GCW590)
Okay, apparently I did not find the correct spot to start from but I did manage to make it to the summit just in time for it to start pouring down rain to the point that I couldn't see through my glasses nor could I see the gps screen as it was beginning to fog up. The cache is in fine condition and certainly not in any fear of being muggled at least from the side I came up. Would have gladly followed the trail back down but would have been far from my departure point. Thought that I could grab this one quickly before the rain started up again but NOT!! By the time I returned to the vehicle, I was drenched head to foot. But....I do get to log the smiley!! TFTC
And I see it is lonely again!
Oshaukuta Marker Cache (GCGQT2)
(Not really that it was nasty just not watertight and had alot of items that suffered because of the water. )
on a lonely cache run with Sagasu and found this one in dire need of attention. With about 3 inches of water in the cache, and the Log book entirely soaked and unsalvageable, we took the time to dry the contents and replace the log book. Hopefully this will stay dry now that the snow is gone.

Waterway Wetlands(GCAF65)
This could be a good Winter/snowshoe hunt because I'm sure that the DNR does not plow this gravel roadway in winter. A easy walk/drive in at anytime - No bushwhacking needed.
Easy Drive in at anytime????? probably true but not during the winter/spring 'cause the DNR doesn't plow this gravel roadway in winter.

Found that out first hand. Started driving in and the slushy roadway made my feel a bit uneasy so I stopped and started to back out.......

needless to say, I didn't make it out like I wanted to. Started to slide off the crest of the roadway and got the truck stuck. After about 30 minutes of rocking, using the sand and salt I happened to have in the back, and the brush and sticks I could find all to no avail, someone stopped and gave me a hand in getting back to terra firma. Thank you, whomever you are. It's nice to know that there are people out there that will stop to help a stranger.

anyway, now the truck is back on the roadway and I am on the path to the cache. Made the find and was happy to put this one in the books. Cache is in great shape and ready for other visitors. TFTC I will certainly remember this one.

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
Sagasu
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Some of this sharing and the chance to have some dialogue on lonely cache adventures was the only missing element of a great lonely cache event. Perhaps that could be better incorporated next year.

In looking at the specific experiences suggested for sharing here, I noticed that June of last year, our last big month to travel for some actual finds before the pickings got pretty slim within a hundred miles or so, was the month most of these memorable moments took place. Some of our highlights include:

Favorite:

Among many great caches, I would have to agree with seldom|seen on a favorite. SMOKEY-BEAR PINES (GCB00F) was one of those cache finds that will forever remain etched in my memory. My son, Dan, was with me for this find, and he and I marvelled at the majesty of the white pine we saw at the cache site long after we made the find as we drove away through the woods on the winding road savoring the great northwoods air. We saw many wonderful places that day, and made our first out of state find, crossing the border into upper Michigan. That my son also shared this experience made it even sweeter. I have posted a photo to the cache page that shows what we saw there, and my son and I still look at it in awe.

Most Challenging:

A week before my trip with Dan, I found Esker in the Kettle (GC10MGP), and it was a a real work-out in spite of good preparation. I had begun printing topographical maps for some of my great northwoods adventues chasing lonely caches from experiences the week before, and that helped immensely, though this was still one of the most challenging caches I have ever done, in part due to the thundestorm that formed and caught me at ground zero on the esker in the kettle, holding my ground till I made the find. To get there I had taken old logging roads till I reached a point that down trees blocked the way, then walked the remnants of a road that dwindled into an overgrown trail circling around peat bogs from the west to the east to approach the esker from the highest ground, mostly successfully. The terrain had plenty of variety with steep slopes on approach to the esker, along with the spongy bog that had to be crossed at some point to get to ground zero, at least the way I got there. The storm hit as I got to the top of the esker hide location and I had to take what shelter the trees provided to wait out the lightning and resume my search. I was very glad to make the find and was able to chart a slightly easier course back to where I parked as a result of the vantage point I had on high ground near the esker. That one took me over two hours with the delay due to the storm, and it was a very satisfying find.

Nastiest Container:

The container I found at The Last Stop (GCVQ4R) had a log that was totally invested by lice-like ants that had set up home inside. No one had found it for some time and the owner was contemplating archiving it. I checked on it anyway and left a replacement, as the original container was too infested to consider just leaving a new log in, encouraging the owner to keep it active after my visit as the location had a great view of the countryside to the west. I see the cache is still there with yet another upgrade by seldom|seen off the ground location where I found the original and had a visitor just last month.

Dumbest Attempt:

Without a doubt, an impromptu decision to venture across a vast tornado-devastated forest to search for a micro in the woods at Lowland too (GCK7D9). I hadn't intended to attempt this lonely cache, but found myself so close I had to take a look.

My log: Wow, was my reaction at first glance. Well, I can only try I reasoned as I resisted an impulse to drive away. Gamely picked my way across this devastation for what seemed like an eternity, definitely four terrain or more right now. At ground zero I found plenty of good candidates that fit the hint, but nothing of the elusive micro. Gave it a good half hour on a dozen potential spots within a hundred feet of the stated coordinates with no luck. Reluctantly gave up the search knowing a return trip across that wasteland to search for a micro might not happen without an easier way to get there. Better luck to other searchers.

No one else tried, and I see that the cache location was moved over two miles a little over a month later. Gosh, I was hoping to read some of the other logs after I was there.

Above all, as others have noted, the quests for lonely caches have taken me to many places I would never have gone before, some of them the most remote and scenic that I have ever seen. Many good memories!

View next topic
View previous topic